V10 Colt cams. Rear prop shaft - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 5 Old 11-20-2018 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2006 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
V10 Colt cams. Rear prop shaft

Hi We've got an 06 v10 Tdi. The problem I'm having now is when you step on it too hard at slower speeds the rear drive shaft sounds like it's banging on the foor under the seat. The rubber is still intact in the steady bearing. Is there anyone that has had that problem?

Just wanted to share some of the troubles it's had.
The rh bank 1 turbo was intermittent with 006482 code.
I removed both turbos and cleaned the vanes and got both actuators tested. It made no difference. Also bought a used actuator still no difference same code. Ended up putting a new oem turbo on the rh side now it works like new.
When I had the engine out checked the camshafts and they were going bad too. I talked to Geoff at Colt Cams. He had a set of cams there that worked great.
The dpf's were also cracked and leaking soot through. Got a Malone stage 1 tune with egr/dpf delete. It's running better then ever now. No turbo lag at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-14-2019
Still Plays With Cars

Touareg: 2006 V8
Second Vehicle: 2006 V10 TDI
Garage
For some reason this post was marked as moderated and was not visible. I'm bumping this to the top so other can see it and chime in.

// 06 V10 TDI, Reflex Silver/Teak--Loaded

// 06 V8, Campy White/Teak--Air--DVD NAV--Backup Cam--Kessy--Winter--Xenon--RDL--Factory Hitch--Dakar Offroad Front Skid Plate
// 08 27' Airstream International CCD :: Airforums.com Member - "Westfalia"
// 77 VW Transporter Westfalia P21 Weekender, 2.0L Fuel Injection, Pastel Wei/Orange Plaid--STOCK

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-\ CLUB TOUAREG ADMINISTRATOR -\
Please read our Club Touareg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and our

post #3 of 5 Old 01-14-2019
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
I strongly suspect that the thin section of rubber in the centre bearing really is on the way out.

Personally I would do the Jimi Fix which will cost you nothing and takes half an hour.

If the knocking goes away, you're sorted!

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA & facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 & facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7 [Not available in "VW Atlas" North America!]
Read Wikipedia:

T1 & T2 buyers MUST read:

Use Google or Bing to search by typing in: site:
followed by what you seek
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 01-15-2019
Multiple v10tdi owner

Touareg: 2004 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: 2004 V10 TDI
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertafarmer V10 View Post
Hi We've got an 06 v10 Tdi. The problem I'm having now is when you step on it too hard at slower speeds the rear drive shaft sounds like it's banging on the foor under the seat. The rubber is still intact in the steady bearing. Is there anyone that has had that problem?

I had that problem... it was the universal joint at the end of the driveshaft where it attaches to the rear differential . You can get new driveshafts for around $300 if you look around. That will solve your problem.

Also I have the colt cams (not installed yet) and have been told by many that they are excellent! Looking forward to seeing for myself in the spring!

3 V10TDI's: (2)2004 Black/Black, Silver/Black and 2004 V10TDI in 1990 Corvette
post #5 of 5 Old 01-16-2019 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2006 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Thanks for the replys. When I had the engine out I did notice the rear cv joint on the shaft felt a bit notchy when it was hanging at an angle. Not Shure how normal that is.
So far it's still driving great till you really use the power. When I've got more time I think I will remove the shaft and have a closer look at it.
Recently we took a longer trip with it and it did better on fuel than I expected. It was 28 imperial mpg driving 120 km/h most of the time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode