V10 camshaft timing problems - Club Touareg Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By noobytoogy

post #1 of 3 Old 05-20-2019 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2004 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
V10 camshaft timing problems

I have a 04 touareg with the v10 tdi in.200k on it. I picked it up over a year ago cheap because it was misfiring under throttle. It had the typical worn out camshafts. Always wanted one ever since I worked as a VW tech for a couple years.
Replaced the camshafts - not OE but from place out of the UK. All new lifters, bearings ect. I had access to the OEM timing tools at the time, except the camshaft holder kit. Ordered that. Anyway, it all went very smooth.
After about a month of driving it (it was driving great), it started having a harder time starting and was setting fault for p0341 - implausible camshaft signal. Eventually, it would not start at all. Disconnecting the camshaft sensor would allow it to start up and drive into the shop.
I did not think to replace the camshaft bolts ( Large triple square that holds gear) because I forgot to order them and I only had the weekend to finish my vehicle when I tore into it. This was at the shop I worked at, and had to go out on Monday. I was thinking because I didn't replace those, maybe the timing moved. * I did use new friction washers.
Decided I would drop the motor again, 2nd time around is always considerably faster and easier. This time around made sure to use all new camshaft bolts and friction washers again. Retimed engine and off I went. Ran great.
Drove it for about 6 months, no issues. Then it started happening again. Again, setting fault: p0341 - Camshaft Position Sensor (g40) Implausible signal. Only sets fault on startup. Not a hard fault while running.
Frustrated, I parked it for a while and forgot about it.
Now that winter is over and it's warmer, started tinkering on it again. I checked continuity in all the wiring from ecu1 and ecu 2 to the sensor, all good. Backprobed ECU and connected lab scope to the cam sensor, to see what the computer was reading. Showed a nice clean square wave signal. So that should prove wiring and sensor is good. I have no way of confirming if the timing is correct, via vagcom.
Looks like it needs to come apart again. But, I no longer have access to lift, so will be doing this engine in - which I did read is possible?
I also no longer have access to service manuals, anyone have the procedure for timing? and torque specs. I don't remember the procedure that well. Fleet maintenance mechanic now, and no need for alldata - or even a lift. Just a drive on lift.
So what else can be going on, to cause the timing to slip? I know for fact, everything was torqued to spec. New stretch bolts and friction rings. The timing was triple and quadruple checked before final torque. And after. No obvious wear on the camshaft gear. What am I missing? I'm not for sure if this was an issue before replacing camshafts, as the misfire was pretty bad and I didn't drive it much. The misfire was a bad vibration under throttle. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-21-2019
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Buy an hour of time here and using your VIN download all the tech stuff you need for your specific car.

https://erwin.volkswagen.de/erwin/showHome.do

Also this thread might help you too - the best V10 strip that I have seen over the years!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.clu...9.html%3famp=1
marktdi likes this.

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA & facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 & facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7 [Not available in "VW Atlas" North America!]
Read Wikipedia:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

T1 & T2 buyers MUST read:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Use Google or Bing to search by typing in: site:
followed by what you seek
post #3 of 3 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Multiple v10tdi owner

Touareg: 2004 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: 2004 V10 TDI
Garage
From what you have said, sounds like everything was set up correctly and checked... the next thing to do is check if the plasma liners have delaminated. It would give a similar fault.

A quick compression check would be in order. Good luck...

3 V10TDI's: (2)2004 Black/Black, Silver/Black and 2004 V10TDI in 1990 Corvette

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode