V10 Buying Advice - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 11 Old 10-29-2018 Thread Starter

V10 Buying Advice

Hello All,

I have an opportunity to purchase a 2006 V10 TDi and wanted to get some opinions.

First some details on the truck.
- 138,000 miles
- Single owner
- Every service record available from new
- Serviced at dealer for anything it has ever needed.
- Dark grey exterior with black interior

I have read many, many threads and articles warning about the potential services these vehicles require/need. For me this would be a weekend vehicle and not used daily. It may be something I use to take a longer distance trip once or twice a year. I have owned several Land Rovers and understand mounting repair bills.

Now, here's what's wrong with the truck. There is a strong exhaust smell that blows through the AC vents from time to time. The current owner took it to the VW dealer and they suspect there is a cracked exhaust manifold or turbo housing allowing exhaust to leak and float up through the engine and be pulled in through the fresh air vents at the cowl. Their quote to fix this was $10k. I think they are full of it. The vehicle runs and drives great otherwise.

My question, how much does an engine out turbo repair cost? Is the $10k estimate remotely accurate? I am contemplating purchasing the truck for around $7k and fixing it. Everything else on the truck is extremely clean and it all works.

Appreciate any insight that is to be shared, especially from V10 TDi owners.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-30-2018
Learner

Touareg: 2006 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: 2015 V8 TDI
Exhaust smell is very likely to be cracked manifold...common issue.
Engine would have to be dropped and the manifold replaced or welded.
Cost should be 1/3rd or less- my experience of an engine out job.
More importantly you will want to carry out other repairs when engine is out that could be added cost- alternator/coupling/compressor/water pump etc

V8 TDI R line MY15, White, Panoramic roof, VW towbar. Dynamic Road Sign Recognition, Lane Assist, Traffic Reports, Google Earth enabled. All Led.

V10 TDI, MYO6 on Conti CrossContact 255/60/18s with RNS510, Paddle Shifters, Rear Diff lock, Mounted Spare, Bluetooth, 4 Zone CC, Keyless, AFS Xenons, TPMS, Easy Entry/Exit, Twin Batteries, Air Suspension, Sunroof, Icom IC440 UHF radio...

Had, Sold & Missed...V6 petrol on Pirelli AT's with Sat Nav, Rear Diff lock, Bluetooth & Phatbox.
post #3 of 11 Old 10-30-2018
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
NEVER EVER BUY ANY TOUAREG WITH KNOWN ISSUES.

And whilst that advice applies to ANY Touareg, it means you don't walk away from a duff V10, you RUN even if you think you are handy with the spanners.

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA & facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 & facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7 [Not available in "VW Atlas" North America!]
Read Wikipedia:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

T1 & T2 buyers MUST read:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Use Google or Bing to search by typing in: site:
followed by what you seek
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 10-30-2018
Learner

Second Vehicle: 2015 V8 TDI
Respect your anti used Touareg views Nooby but i feel differently.
Especially in this case where there is complete record of every service.

Get it for a good price and spend the approx $5k and enjoy an exceptional vehicle- nothing like it, believe me i have had 2006 V10 for 12 yrs now.

V8 TDI R line MY15, White, Panoramic roof, VW towbar. Dynamic Road Sign Recognition, Lane Assist, Traffic Reports, Google Earth enabled. All Led.

V10 TDI, MYO6 on Conti CrossContact 255/60/18s with RNS510, Paddle Shifters, Rear Diff lock, Mounted Spare, Bluetooth, 4 Zone CC, Keyless, AFS Xenons, TPMS, Easy Entry/Exit, Twin Batteries, Air Suspension, Sunroof, Icom IC440 UHF radio...

Had, Sold & Missed...V6 petrol on Pirelli AT's with Sat Nav, Rear Diff lock, Bluetooth & Phatbox.
post #5 of 11 Old 10-30-2018
Touareg Guru

I'm not anti used Touaregs, just used with known problems since we all know they can be bloody expensive to fix so there's no point in taking on what can be a time and money pit.

Better to spend time finding a good car that doesn't need the engine out on day one!

Read Wikipedia:

post #6 of 11 Old 10-30-2018
Touareg Addict

Second Vehicle: VW 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobytoogy View Post
I'm not anti used Touaregs, just used with known problems since we all know they can be bloody expensive to fix so there's no point in taking on what can be a time and money pit.

Better to spend time finding a good car that doesn't need the engine out on day one!

And is that good car a Touareg ?
How reliable is your Touareg?

regards
Drag
post #7 of 11 Old 10-30-2018 Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I am very hesitant to purchase this vehicle given the legendary service costs associated with these trucks. With that said, I would hate to see this truck scrapped or tossed aside. It is an exceptionally clean and well sorted example in every other respect. The miles are higher but the care given is very apparent. She just spent $4000 having the dealer replace all glow plugs, injectors and de-soot the intake and throttle bodies two months ago and is frustrated with having to spend another 5-10k in service.

I could realistically get the truck for around $7000 then spend another $5k in having the engine out service performed then have a solid truck, until the next thing goes bad.

Appreciate the info.
post #8 of 11 Old 10-30-2018
Touareg Guru

I agree it is a shame to let a car like this get scrapped but head should rule heart on the money front here!.

Initially I thought you'd suggested you were handy with the spanners but re-reading your posts it seems you'd be getting others to do the work in which case you will be paying for both parts and time and, with your Land Rover experiences, you will already know how the bills can mount up.

The Touareg is a nice car and the V10s and W12s are fabulous supercars, the former matched by the later V8 Tdi which is even nicer.

However the old buggers are getting long in the tooth so it can be pot luck what goes tits up - or not - on them next.

Someone asked how I rate Touareg reliability.

None of the Touaregs have broken down on the road and in percentage terms I assess their reliability like this:

2 x T1 3.2 petrols totalling 240K - 85%
1 T3 3.0 Tdi diesel with 100K- 100%
1 T4 3.0 Tdi diesel with 30K - 100%

Here's the best V10 rebuild thread in the world.

Have a look and see if this is the kind of thing, even just the engine out part, that you wish to take on.

https://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f...rex-73289.html

Read Wikipedia:

post #9 of 11 Old 10-30-2018 Thread Starter

I am quite handy and perform most of my own repairs on the Rovers I own but this is a whole different animal. I simply don't have equipment to handle the weight of the components involved.

I'll continue to mull this over. Looking around for quotes from independent shops. Any recommendations in Orange County SoCal area?
post #10 of 11 Old 10-30-2018
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2004 V6
Second Vehicle: Still looking
It's a pity to let it go but you need a good friend or family mechanic to undertake this job. or you need to be there and be ready to spend more money. If you're giving it to someone to fix you're going into trouble.
Try at least to confirm the leak and see if you cannot fix it without engine out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode