V10 Battery Issues - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 16 Old 01-01-2019 Thread Starter

V10 Battery Issues

I know there are a ton of threads here but I cant seem to find the answer Im looking for.

I bought my 07 V10 TDI Treg about 2 years ago. My first winter of owning the Treg the batteries started to die in the cold weather. I decided to replace both batteries and did not have an issue until the following winter. Replaced both batteries again under warranty. I am now on my 3rd winter and the batteries seem to drain again after sitting for a few days.

I pulled the batteries again last week and had them tested. They diagnosed the battery under the seat to be dead and they replaced it. The rear battery seemed to be fine.

Here I am a week later and the car will not start with push to start but only with the key in the ignition and sometimes even that takes a few tries.

Ive read about the charging system and am interested in bypassing the relay that tells which battery to charge via alternator so that both are charging in parallel. Does anyone have any more info on this?

I have also checked all 4 of my door handles and they seem to be functioning properly.

Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-01-2019
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2005 R5 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbett View Post
I know there are a ton of threads here but I cant seem to find the answer Im looking for.

I bought my 07 V10 TDI Treg about 2 years ago. My first winter of owning the Treg the batteries started to die in the cold weather. I decided to replace both batteries and did not have an issue until the following winter. Replaced both batteries again under warranty. I am now on my 3rd winter and the batteries seem to drain again after sitting for a few days.

I pulled the batteries again last week and had them tested. They diagnosed the battery under the seat to be dead and they replaced it. The rear battery seemed to be fine.

Here I am a week later and the car will not start with push to start but only with the key in the ignition and sometimes even that takes a few tries.

Ive read about the charging system and am interested in bypassing the relay that tells which battery to charge via alternator so that both are charging in parallel. Does anyone have any more info on this?

I have also checked all 4 of my door handles and they seem to be functioning properly.

Thanks guys!
Keyless entry?

Is your key stored in close range to the vehicle? If so, the car will never fully go to sleep, which means a larger drain.

All vw/audi engines must use 507.00 spec oil except non-DPF R5/V10 engines that must use 505.01/506.01
93 Pajero GLS 3.0 V6 LWB - SOLD
2001 Gen3 Di-D LWB - SOLD
2005 Touareg 2.5 TDi Air & Bi-Xenon
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 Old 01-01-2019 Thread Starter

The key is stored in the house and the car is in the driveway. Maybe 50 ft from the vehicle with several walls inbetween. I can test that though thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 01-02-2019
Learner

Touareg: 2006 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: 2015 V8 TDI
something not right, have you run a vcds scan?
my 2006 v10 still has original starting battery and the auxiliary still had life in it but was changed about two years ago as a measure before going on a remote outback trip.

V8 TDI R line MY15, White, Panoramic roof, VW towbar. Dynamic Road Sign Recognition, Lane Assist, Traffic Reports, Google Earth enabled. All Led.

V10 TDI, MYO6 on Conti CrossContact 255/60/18s with RNS510, Paddle Shifters, Rear Diff lock, Mounted Spare, Bluetooth, 4 Zone CC, Keyless, AFS Xenons, TPMS, Easy Entry/Exit, Twin Batteries, Air Suspension, Sunroof, Icom IC440 UHF radio...

Had, Sold & Missed...V6 petrol on Pirelli AT's with Sat Nav, Rear Diff lock, Bluetooth & Phatbox.
post #5 of 16 Old 01-02-2019
Touareg Mechanic

I would check those door handles with VCDS. Go into address 46 and look at 08 Measured Value Blocks (MVB’s) for each of the Part Numbers. If they are all reporting closed the next step would be measuring drain at the fuses. VOA put out a four-page Technical Bulletin 27 07 11 2016076 addressing this battery drain issue. Or you could just take a chance a buy a new Kessy. Or you could do the Kessy MOSFET replacement shown in our DIY section.

2006 V10 TDI Reflex Silver/Anthracite w/Monster Mats, Cargo Shell, Nokian WRG2's, Telestart T91 and VCDS
post #6 of 16 Old 01-02-2019
Touareg Guru

Touareg: 2006 V8
Second Vehicle: 2004 V6
Garage
Start with a VCDS scan. If you don't have antenna errors, the kessy is fine. It always throws the antenna errors if/when a rebuilt is needed.

If it is not the kessy, check the door handles. The little black switches can go bad and cause the car to not go to sleep. The most common thing is that the car will randomly lock or unlock. The switches can short open, closed, or become intermittent when they randomly act like someone pushed the button. The intermittent problem is a real pain to troubleshoot, but usually you start seeing the "Switch to Park" message when that happens.

After the kessy and door handles are deemed good, you start looking for a rogue current draw.

How often are you running the V10? I recommend at least one trip of fifteen minutes per week, if you wish to have healthy batteries. One trip of at least 10 minutes per two weeks is the minimum that these vehicles will tolerate. Any less then that and you need to be using a maintenance battery charger. CTek is my personal choice.
post #7 of 16 Old 01-02-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgibson View Post
I would check those door handles with VCDS. Go into address 46 and look at 08 Measured Value Blocks (MVB’s) for each of the Part Numbers. If they are all reporting closed the next step would be measuring drain at the fuses. VOA put out a four-page Technical Bulletin 27 07 11 2016076 addressing this battery drain issue. Or you could just take a chance a buy a new Kessy. Or you could do the Kessy MOSFET replacement shown in our DIY section.
Just went to 46 then mvb 08. Found all the outiside door locks and it says not operational unless I press the button then it says functioning. No errors in the module though.
post #8 of 16 Old 01-02-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyt View Post
Start with a VCDS scan. If you don't have antenna errors, the kessy is fine. It always throws the antenna errors if/when a rebuilt is needed.

If it is not the kessy, check the door handles. The little black switches can go bad and cause the car to not go to sleep. The most common thing is that the car will randomly lock or unlock. The switches can short open, closed, or become intermittent when they randomly act like someone pushed the button. The intermittent problem is a real pain to troubleshoot, but usually you start seeing the "Switch to Park" message when that happens.

After the kessy and door handles are deemed good, you start looking for a rogue current draw.

How often are you running the V10? I recommend at least one trip of fifteen minutes per week, if you wish to have healthy batteries. One trip of at least 10 minutes per two weeks is the minimum that these vehicles will tolerate. Any less then that and you need to be using a maintenance battery charger. CTek is my personal choice.
I drive it once or twice a week usually only an hour or so each time.
post #9 of 16 Old 01-02-2019
Touareg Guru

Touareg: 2006 V8
Second Vehicle: 2004 V6
Garage
Ok. If no antenna errors (which you will see in any VCDS full scan) and no problems with the black buttons, the next thing to look for is a rouge current flow.

Aftermarket anything such as radio or nav systems should be looked at also.
post #10 of 16 Old 01-02-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyt View Post
Ok. If no antenna errors (which you will see in any VCDS full scan) and no problems with the black buttons, the next thing to look for is a rouge current flow.

Aftermarket anything such as radio or nav systems should be looked at also.
I do have an upgraded RNS-510 in the treg. But it definitely turns off when car is off and shut completely down after Ive been out of the car for a bit as it should. So strange

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode