V10 Battery Issues - Club Touareg Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 01-01-2019 Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
V10 Battery Issues

I know there are a ton of threads here but I cant seem to find the answer Im looking for.

I bought my 07 V10 TDI Treg about 2 years ago. My first winter of owning the Treg the batteries started to die in the cold weather. I decided to replace both batteries and did not have an issue until the following winter. Replaced both batteries again under warranty. I am now on my 3rd winter and the batteries seem to drain again after sitting for a few days.

I pulled the batteries again last week and had them tested. They diagnosed the battery under the seat to be dead and they replaced it. The rear battery seemed to be fine.

Here I am a week later and the car will not start with push to start but only with the key in the ignition and sometimes even that takes a few tries.

Ive read about the charging system and am interested in bypassing the relay that tells which battery to charge via alternator so that both are charging in parallel. Does anyone have any more info on this?

I have also checked all 4 of my door handles and they seem to be functioning properly.

Thanks guys!
Corbett is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 Old 01-01-2019
Touareg Addict
 
4ePikanini's Avatar
 
Touareg: 2005 R5 TDI
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: South Africa, East London
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Posts: 1,846
Thanks: 4
Thanked 49 Times in 45 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbett View Post
I know there are a ton of threads here but I cant seem to find the answer Im looking for.

I bought my 07 V10 TDI Treg about 2 years ago. My first winter of owning the Treg the batteries started to die in the cold weather. I decided to replace both batteries and did not have an issue until the following winter. Replaced both batteries again under warranty. I am now on my 3rd winter and the batteries seem to drain again after sitting for a few days.

I pulled the batteries again last week and had them tested. They diagnosed the battery under the seat to be dead and they replaced it. The rear battery seemed to be fine.

Here I am a week later and the car will not start with push to start but only with the key in the ignition and sometimes even that takes a few tries.

Ive read about the charging system and am interested in bypassing the relay that tells which battery to charge via alternator so that both are charging in parallel. Does anyone have any more info on this?

I have also checked all 4 of my door handles and they seem to be functioning properly.

Thanks guys!
Keyless entry?

Is your key stored in close range to the vehicle? If so, the car will never fully go to sleep, which means a larger drain.

All vw/audi engines must use 507.00 spec oil except non-DPF R5/V10 engines that must use 505.01/506.01
93 Pajero GLS 3.0 V6 LWB - SOLD
2001 Gen3 Di-D LWB - SOLD
2005 Touareg 2.5 TDi Air & Bi-Xenon
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
4ePikanini is offline  
post #3 of 16 Old 01-01-2019 Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The key is stored in the house and the car is in the driveway. Maybe 50 ft from the vehicle with several walls inbetween. I can test that though thanks!
Corbett is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 16 Old 01-02-2019
Learner
 
Singh's Avatar
 
Touareg: 2006 V10 TDI
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Sydney, Australia
Second Vehicle: 2015 V8 TDI
Posts: 4,577
Thanks: 23
Thanked 64 Times in 60 Posts
something not right, have you run a vcds scan?
my 2006 v10 still has original starting battery and the auxiliary still had life in it but was changed about two years ago as a measure before going on a remote outback trip.

V8 TDI R line MY15, White, Panoramic roof, VW towbar. Dynamic Road Sign Recognition, Lane Assist, Traffic Reports, Google Earth enabled. All Led.

V10 TDI, MYO6 on Conti CrossContact 255/60/18s with RNS510, Paddle Shifters, Rear Diff lock, Mounted Spare, Bluetooth, 4 Zone CC, Keyless, AFS Xenons, TPMS, Easy Entry/Exit, Twin Batteries, Air Suspension, Sunroof, Icom IC440 UHF radio...

Had, Sold & Missed...V6 petrol on Pirelli AT's with Sat Nav, Rear Diff lock, Bluetooth & Phatbox.
Singh is offline  
post #5 of 16 Old 01-02-2019
Touareg Mechanic
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 1,245
Thanks: 9
Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
I would check those door handles with VCDS. Go into address 46 and look at 08 Measured Value Blocks (MVB’s) for each of the Part Numbers. If they are all reporting closed the next step would be measuring drain at the fuses. VOA put out a four-page Technical Bulletin 27 07 11 2016076 addressing this battery drain issue. Or you could just take a chance a buy a new Kessy. Or you could do the Kessy MOSFET replacement shown in our DIY section.

2006 V10 TDI Reflex Silver/Anthracite w/Monster Mats, Cargo Shell, Nokian WRG2's, Telestart T91 and VCDS
lgibson is offline  
post #6 of 16 Old 01-02-2019
Touareg Guru
 
Touareg: 2006 V8
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Wytheville VA USA
Second Vehicle: 2004 V6
Posts: 3,271
Thanks: 150
Thanked 315 Times in 275 Posts
Garage
Start with a VCDS scan. If you don't have antenna errors, the kessy is fine. It always throws the antenna errors if/when a rebuilt is needed.

If it is not the kessy, check the door handles. The little black switches can go bad and cause the car to not go to sleep. The most common thing is that the car will randomly lock or unlock. The switches can short open, closed, or become intermittent when they randomly act like someone pushed the button. The intermittent problem is a real pain to troubleshoot, but usually you start seeing the "Switch to Park" message when that happens.

After the kessy and door handles are deemed good, you start looking for a rogue current draw.

How often are you running the V10? I recommend at least one trip of fifteen minutes per week, if you wish to have healthy batteries. One trip of at least 10 minutes per two weeks is the minimum that these vehicles will tolerate. Any less then that and you need to be using a maintenance battery charger. CTek is my personal choice.
nickyt is offline  
post #7 of 16 Old 01-02-2019 Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgibson View Post
I would check those door handles with VCDS. Go into address 46 and look at 08 Measured Value Blocks (MVB’s) for each of the Part Numbers. If they are all reporting closed the next step would be measuring drain at the fuses. VOA put out a four-page Technical Bulletin 27 07 11 2016076 addressing this battery drain issue. Or you could just take a chance a buy a new Kessy. Or you could do the Kessy MOSFET replacement shown in our DIY section.
Just went to 46 then mvb 08. Found all the outiside door locks and it says not operational unless I press the button then it says functioning. No errors in the module though.
Corbett is offline  
post #8 of 16 Old 01-02-2019 Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyt View Post
Start with a VCDS scan. If you don't have antenna errors, the kessy is fine. It always throws the antenna errors if/when a rebuilt is needed.

If it is not the kessy, check the door handles. The little black switches can go bad and cause the car to not go to sleep. The most common thing is that the car will randomly lock or unlock. The switches can short open, closed, or become intermittent when they randomly act like someone pushed the button. The intermittent problem is a real pain to troubleshoot, but usually you start seeing the "Switch to Park" message when that happens.

After the kessy and door handles are deemed good, you start looking for a rogue current draw.

How often are you running the V10? I recommend at least one trip of fifteen minutes per week, if you wish to have healthy batteries. One trip of at least 10 minutes per two weeks is the minimum that these vehicles will tolerate. Any less then that and you need to be using a maintenance battery charger. CTek is my personal choice.
I drive it once or twice a week usually only an hour or so each time.
Corbett is offline  
post #9 of 16 Old 01-02-2019
Touareg Guru
 
Touareg: 2006 V8
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Wytheville VA USA
Second Vehicle: 2004 V6
Posts: 3,271
Thanks: 150
Thanked 315 Times in 275 Posts
Garage
Ok. If no antenna errors (which you will see in any VCDS full scan) and no problems with the black buttons, the next thing to look for is a rouge current flow.

Aftermarket anything such as radio or nav systems should be looked at also.
nickyt is offline  
post #10 of 16 Old 01-02-2019 Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyt View Post
Ok. If no antenna errors (which you will see in any VCDS full scan) and no problems with the black buttons, the next thing to look for is a rouge current flow.

Aftermarket anything such as radio or nav systems should be looked at also.
I do have an upgraded RNS-510 in the treg. But it definitely turns off when car is off and shut completely down after Ive been out of the car for a bit as it should. So strange
Corbett is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 

VW Touareg News Delivered to your Email!

Stay up-to-date with Touareg news in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]