Transmission hard shift Issue - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 10 Old 03-04-2019 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Transmission hard shift Issue

I have a 2013 TDI Touareg that has a Malone stage 2 delete kit installed . I have done the TCM back to stock swap with Yorktreg. However I am randomly experiencing a hard shift.... sometimes in the early gears , sometimes in the last gears. It is a rather intermittent issue, sometimes like it is searching for the next gear , then the last gear. Like it has hic ups. (I have sent my PCM back to Yorktreg asking him to swap me one more time which he graciously did) Still the same intermittent issue. Some days all is fine, the next day it hic ups again. If I do a trans relearn it seems to fix it for some days. Does my treg have some issue with TCM relearn? Maybe Iím not doing it correctly? I usually just turn the key on without starting it, hold the throttle pedal all the way down holding it for 15-20 seconds. Let off accelerator , turn key off. Pull key out. Wait 5 seconds. Reinsert key and drive. Shifts beautiful, including engine braking feature! I love it ...... that is till the hic-cups come back days later once again? What could be wrong? I checked with VCDís , NO CODES! Can someone help me please?
Stumped in Va.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-08-2019 Thread Starter

Interesting NO ONE has any input for me on this issue.... must be an isolated case . (:
post #3 of 10 Old 03-08-2019
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
The gearbox reset is as you are doing it but the hold period is 10 seconds.

Given that you have tweaked the car in various ways I personally would simply reset the gearbox on the first use every day - it only takes those few seconds - and see whether that cures your car''s hiccups.

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA & facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 & facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7 [Not available in "VW Atlas" North America!]
Read Wikipedia:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

T1 & T2 buyers MUST read:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Use Google or Bing to search by typing in: site:
followed by what you seek
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 03-09-2019 Thread Starter

Thanks for your advice.. will give this a shot
post #5 of 10 Old 03-09-2019
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
I had another thought on this - still not a fix but you mentioned the transmission learning process.

You say that when you reset the transmission the car is fine for a few days and then it starts to misbehave.

Clearly the reset is working if it gets rid of the hiccups for a period of time.

What is then happening is that the transmission is learning something over those few hiccup-free days after a reset that puts it out of synch and the hiccups return.

It will depend upon your driving style as that's what the learning ability is designed to deal with, so it seems that there's possibly [probably?] something that you do that then causes the hiccups.

As I said at the outset, this post is not a cure, more a pointer towards what the issue might be.

The other day [within the past two weeks I think] someone posted a very thorough and quite complex reset process that used VCDS. I meant to bookmark it but failed.

If anyone else knows where that post is could they please post the link?

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA & facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 & facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7 [Not available in "VW Atlas" North America!]
Read Wikipedia:

T1 & T2 buyers MUST read:

Use Google or Bing to search by typing in: site:
followed by what you seek
The Following User Says Thank You to noobytoogy For This Useful Post:
turbospool (03-09-2019)
post #6 of 10 Old 03-09-2019 Thread Starter

Now that makes more sense than anything Ive though of yet! My wife and I will have different driving habits to be sure, and this is possibly confusing this relearn process. It sure shifts nice after Iíve done the reset...... no hiccups .. just nice smooth shifts! Doing the reset every day is not the nicest thing to have to do, surely this brain TCM could maintain its program ongoing? I would sure like to learn from doing a more stable solid even if complex relearn if you can find that for me.. Thanks so much for your interest and help.
post #7 of 10 Old 03-09-2019

Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
FWIW, I have a new to me 2016 with a Malone Stage 2 tune and I have the yrktreg swap on the bench awaiting installation. I have the same 'jerk' shift every now and then. Seems only to happen when I'm accelerating from a stop, but in a non-smooth fashion... like when you are trying to get over a lane or something. I think it gets confused. I'm swapping and resetting the trans soon, so I'll report back if it gets better/worse, but I know exactly what you are talking about, and i don't yet have the TCM rollback installed.

posterChild
post #8 of 10 Old 03-09-2019 Thread Starter

Exactly... let me know if you find a cure for this a annoyance
post #9 of 10 Old 03-15-2019 Thread Starter

Still hic up ing and wishing I could relearn this Treg once for all.
post #10 of 10 Old 03-18-2019 Thread Starter

So, no one seems to have a VCDs post on transmission relearn procedure so I've tried another version of without VCDs slightly different from what i've been doing.

1. Key to on position, no start. 2.move gear from park to drive.
3. Press accelerator all the way to floor (make sure nothing obstructs pedal),hold for 30 seconds.
4. While still holding pedal all the way to the floor move shifter back into park.
5. Let up on accelerator, turn key off.
6. Pull key out.
7. Open door, close door.

Start treg and go for a pleasant drive.... feel the smoother shifts... hope your Treg keeps it for good.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode