Touareg V10TDI Turbo Error Codes - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 11 Old 07-19-2017 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2003 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Touareg V10TDI Turbo Error Codes

Hi Guys,

Was hoping to get some advice on a proposed turbo replacement i was given by 2 different mechanics.

Start off by explaining the issue im having then get into the error codes i get and what the mechanics have told me.

Car: 2003 Touareg V10 TDI 245,000kms have owned it since 2005 with 15,00kms

The Issue:
I will get put into limp mode when accelerating up an incline. Doesn't do this all the time but seems to be random when it goes into limp mode i dont do anything different that indicates a certain driving style. Slow, mid or flooring it. If i pull over restart the car it goes back to normal driving immediately and wont go back into limp mode until i reach another incline it might not like (as i say its random can be a steep gradient and might not have a problem then a slight incline will send it to limp mode and vice versa). I dont get any black smoke coming from the exhaust when i floor it, or during normal driving. No smoke comes from the exhaust when its idling. No issues with the car at all, everything is in working order. I am far from a home mechanic so you will have to excuse my explanation.

Error Codes:
P1952 Turbocharger control unit 1 - Component defective
P1953 Turbocharger control unit 2 - Component defective

Mechanics advice:
Took it to my local private mechanic who has serviced and repaired the car since i have owned it. He has advised only option is to replace both turbos. Hes given it a good once over and cannot find any other causes of the error codes and has left me with one option.
Took it to the VW dealer who sold me the car and is the largest VW dealer in the country and they told me the same as my private mechanic only difference was they quoted me a much much higher repair price.

Reason i am asking is to see if anyone else has run into this problem and turned out the repair was something other than the turbos, maybe something my mechanic could have overlooked? Im at a real cross roads as the turbo replacement cost is nearing the value of the vehicle, do i just drive it and deal with having to pull over an restart it (always happens at the worst times, high speed pull outs etc) or do i fork out the cash and have the repair done on an old high mileage car....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-19-2017
Multiple v10tdi owner

Touareg: 2004 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: 2004 V10 TDI
Garage
I had a bad N18 valve that caused that error on mine. The part has been superseded about 7 times so I just replace them as they are cheap and easy to fit.

3 V10TDI's: (2)2004 Black/Black, Silver/Black and 2004 V10TDI in 1990 Corvette
post #3 of 11 Old 07-19-2017
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2006 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZV10 View Post
Hi Guys,

Was hoping to get some advice on a proposed turbo replacement i was given by 2 different mechanics.

Start off by explaining the issue im having then get into the error codes i get and what the mechanics have told me.

Car: 2003 Touareg V10 TDI 245,000kms have owned it since 2005 with 15,00kms

The Issue:
I will get put into limp mode when accelerating up an incline. Doesn't do this all the time but seems to be random when it goes into limp mode i dont do anything different that indicates a certain driving style. Slow, mid or flooring it. If i pull over restart the car it goes back to normal driving immediately and wont go back into limp mode until i reach another incline it might not like (as i say its random can be a steep gradient and might not have a problem then a slight incline will send it to limp mode and vice versa). I dont get any black smoke coming from the exhaust when i floor it, or during normal driving. No smoke comes from the exhaust when its idling. No issues with the car at all, everything is in working order. I am far from a home mechanic so you will have to excuse my explanation.

Error Codes:

Mechanics advice:
Took it to my local private mechanic who has serviced and repaired the car since i have owned it. He has advised only option is to replace both turbos. Hes given it a good once over and cannot find any other causes of the error codes and has left me with one option.
Took it to the VW dealer who sold me the car and is the largest VW dealer in the country and they told me the same as my private mechanic only difference was they quoted me a much much higher repair price.

Reason i am asking is to see if anyone else has run into this problem and turned out the repair was something other than the turbos, maybe something my mechanic could have overlooked? Im at a real cross roads as the turbo replacement cost is nearing the value of the vehicle, do i just drive it and deal with having to pull over an restart it (always happens at the worst times, high speed pull outs etc) or do i fork out the cash and have the repair done on an old high mileage car....

What I would do for that exact problem for a possible easier solution and check to see if both controllers are the issue is instead off pulling the engine just replace both controllers one at a time. e.g. replace one then see how it goes for a week then if still have issue replace the other and see and if the issue remains you have another issue else where. You also need to check your arm on each turbo to make sure they are free to move.
The turbo itself will not cause a fault other than causing the actuator to take excessive force to move the VNT vanes from being stiff then the code will come from the actuator.

You can change them from underneath the car with only mild effort.

regards
Drag
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 07-20-2017
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2008 R5 TDI
Quote:
Error Codes:
What are the chances of both of your turbochargers failing exactly at the same time with the very same fault code?

Chances are you've some serious background issue at work here, that's either mis-diagnosed as turbo failure, or that caused both turbos to fail in a very short time. Either way replacing the turbos and doing nothing else will most likely not solve your issue, and it will either return immediately, or kill your new turbos, too, in a short time.

I'd suggest trying to track down what caused the turbo faults in the first place. That might either lead to discovering that either the turbos do not need to be replaced, because it's not your turbos that have really failed (but your vacuum pump/switch or control module, just to name the most obvious ones) or that there are some additional problems with your engine, which caused the turbo failures (like excess soot generation or oil/cooling circuit not working properly).

That said, unless you've additional fault codes, the turbos will most likely have to come out either way - so the mechanic can see whether they really need to be replaced, and what other problems might be there with the engine. And that alone will cost you a fortune, because it's like 10 hours of work or more.
post #5 of 11 Old 07-20-2017
Touareg Mechanic

Can you check the freeze frames from both sides 01 and.11 to see if the codes are really thrown simultaneously? From reading the Ross-tech forums religiously I can predict they would want you to log boost pressures requested vs actual on both 01 and 11.

2006 V10 TDI Reflex Silver/Anthracite w/Monster Mats, Cargo Shell, Nokian WRG2's, Telestart T91 and VCDS
post #6 of 11 Old 07-20-2017 Thread Starter

thanks for the suggestion ill get this looked at when it goes in for a service next week
post #7 of 11 Old 07-20-2017 Thread Starter

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, i wanted to build a list of checks i could get the mechanic to do when it goes in for a service in a weeks time
post #8 of 11 Old 07-20-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragline1570 View Post
What I would do for that exact problem for a possible easier solution and check to see if both controllers are the issue is instead off pulling the engine just replace both controllers one at a time. e.g. replace one then see how it goes for a week then if still have issue replace the other and see and if the issue remains you have another issue else where. You also need to check your arm on each turbo to make sure they are free to move.
The turbo itself will not cause a fault other than causing the actuator to take excessive force to move the VNT vanes from being stiff then the code will come from the actuator.

You can change them from underneath the car with only mild effort.

regards
Drag
Thanks mate i was watching a couple of youtube videos suggesting the same thing. I asked him about just replacing the controller but apparently its in a sealed turbo unit and in order to replace both turbos need to come out anyway, parts + labour are not far from full turbo replacement so ive been told.

Definitely on the same page as Gnits seems odd that both would go same time displaying the exact same error code unless this was a common issue with the first gen v10s?
post #9 of 11 Old 07-20-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgibson View Post
Can you check the freeze frames from both sides 01 and.11 to see if the codes are really thrown simultaneously? From reading the Ross-tech forums religiously I can predict they would want you to log boost pressures requested vs actual on both 01 and 11.
I managed to crawl the car to the mechanic in limp mode and he checked it while the engine was still running and this error was active, these were the only 2 codes that came out as faulty other than a P1078 - Fuel quality sensor, limit not attained. Cleared the codes while the engine was running and i was able to drive out of there as if nothing was wrong.

I have had boost pressure checked around 6 months ago and they said everything came back fine. I haven't however had it checked when the error is present.
post #10 of 11 Old 07-20-2017
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2006 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Quote:
Thanks mate i was watching a couple of youtube videos suggesting the same thing. I asked him about just replacing the controller but apparently its in a sealed turbo unit and in order to replace both turbos need to come out anyway, parts + labour are not far from full turbo replacement so ive been told.

Definitely on the same page as Gnits seems odd that both would go same time displaying the exact same error code unless this was a common issue with the first gen v10s?

Yes agree for both to fail at once would be not likely but unless you have another investigative line other than a wiring check and maybe an ECU issue you need to address the issue in front of you with as little hassle as possible.

The controller on the turbo's is completely removable from the turbo as a separate item held on by only 2 or 3 6mm bolts + the actuator arm. Yes they are sealed but you just replace the whole unit. They are coded LH and RH and cannot be swapped from side to side but can be swapped to a different car.

regards
Drag

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode