Touareg 2007 TDI Turbo sensor light on - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 13 Old 02-22-2018 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2007 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Touareg 2007 TDI Turbo sensor light on

Hi Enthusiasts,
My 2007 Touareg has done 230,000 km and the glow plug light with audible "dinging" comes on randomly and stops after 5 minutes. The cruise control turns off and the car will revert to gear 5 in auto, but gear 6 in manual. There is a loss of power. The mechanic put the computer across it and tells me it could be the sensor or the turbo. Replacement of either one is necessary.
Would you replace just the sensor $1030 or the whole turbo $4480?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-22-2018
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2008 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Can't afford one
When you say "sensor" do you mean the turbo controller or something else?

If you decide to replace the turbocharger you know that you need not to go with a dealer sourced VW turbo don't you?

A few of us after some turbo issues decided to replace the turbo with a new Garrett (OEM turbocharger supplier to VW) unit which is exactly the same as OEM except it does not have the "VW" logo stamped on it with quite a substantial cost saving and I can attest that after going down that route some 20K ago using a new in box Garrett "GTB2260VK" turbocharger my engine has not skipped a beat.

The turbocharger was sourced from Denco Diesel (https://www.dencodiesel.com/) at a substantial cost saving and the whole job cost less than AUD$3K.

Suggest you read https://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f9...km-269585.html as Stuart also replaced his using the same unit and this is his tread.

Good luck!

TonyB

MY08 V6TDi, Atacama Grey, Air Suspension, Bi-Xenons
Enhancements: OEM Paddle Shifters, OEM Tow Pack, OEM LED load Module, Red Arc Tow Pro Elite Brake Controller, Icom IC-440 UHF, 6 Spot 17Z Front Brakes, FM100 Aux fuel filter + water alarm, Pro Vent catch can, 20" Road Tyres + spare, 17" A/T Off-road tyres + 2 x full size spares, AG Custom alloy underbody front+ centre+rear alloy protection plates.

MY08 V6TDi, Campanella White
My first Touareg love affair, found a new home locally.
The Following User Says Thank You to seafarer28 For This Useful Post:
Luke G (02-22-2018)
post #3 of 13 Old 02-22-2018
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2007 V6
Second Vehicle: Other
Garage
There are even cheaper ways too, if you know what to do:
> You can replace the actuator only
> You can rebuild a worn out turbo with a new CHRA (core housing rotating assembly)

Regardless, the symptoms you describe do not indicate turbocharger mechanical failure. Seek further diagnosis. Get a VCDS scan and post it up.

There is no reason that a turbocharger failure would cause the car to stay in 5th or 6th gear.
The Following User Says Thank You to gldgti For This Useful Post:
Luke G (02-22-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 02-22-2018
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2005 V8
Second Vehicle: too many to list
Garage
It is threads like this that make this the greatest Treg forum in the world.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current Fleet:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
The Following User Says Thank You to OrangeOkie For This Useful Post:
Luke G (02-22-2018)
post #5 of 13 Old 02-22-2018
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2006 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke G View Post
Hi Enthusiasts,
My 2007 Touareg has done 230,000 km and the glow plug light with audible "dinging" comes on randomly and stops after 5 minutes. The cruise control turns off and the car will revert to gear 5 in auto, but gear 6 in manual. There is a loss of power. The mechanic put the computer across it and tells me it could be the sensor or the turbo. Replacement of either one is necessary.
Would you replace just the sensor $1030 or the whole turbo $4480?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

What are the exact fault codes ??

regards
Drag
The Following User Says Thank You to dragline1570 For This Useful Post:
Luke G (02-22-2018)
post #6 of 13 Old 02-22-2018 Thread Starter

Hi Enthusiasts,
I am blown away with the promptness and depth of information provided. Thank you. It prompted me to consider that the problem is electrical (sensor) and not turbo (mechanical) as when the light isn't on, the turbo goes like a rocket. Armed with this thought and your confidence, I spoke with my mechanic and he agreed. I am having the sensor changed and while there, he will investigate the state of the turbo. If need be, we will change it as well. To my surprise he suggested the Garret at a better price.
It is so much easier to make decisions and talk to mechanics when you have some knowledge. Thanks Reggie warriors. Much appreciated.
post #7 of 13 Old 03-06-2018 Thread Starter

Hi Everyone,
Tthe "turbo sensor" situation has turned into a real debacle. I thought is was important to warn you of the trap for young players. The VW workshop fitted the sensor and as they have never seen this problem before, did not know that there is a special "vacuum calibrating" tool that is required to align the sensor and the turbo. Would you believe it, this tool is not available in Western Australia (WA) and needs to be dispatched via Sydney, New South Wales.
WA stands for Wait Awhile as it has been over a week and still no tool.
I should have told them about the tool, but I presumed they would know better than me.
Lesson for the day - don't be afraid to question the mechanics knowledge or pass yours on.
post #8 of 13 Old 03-06-2018
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2008 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Can't afford one
Hi Luke,

When you say " The VW workshop fitted the sensor" do you mean a VW dealer or non-VW dealer, say "general" workshop?

I assume you mean the latter as (AFAIK) VW dealers will not change the sensor but will only replace the turbocharger complete with sensor.

TonyB

MY08 V6TDi, Atacama Grey, Air Suspension, Bi-Xenons
Enhancements: OEM Paddle Shifters, OEM Tow Pack, OEM LED load Module, Red Arc Tow Pro Elite Brake Controller, Icom IC-440 UHF, 6 Spot 17Z Front Brakes, FM100 Aux fuel filter + water alarm, Pro Vent catch can, 20" Road Tyres + spare, 17" A/T Off-road tyres + 2 x full size spares, AG Custom alloy underbody front+ centre+rear alloy protection plates.

MY08 V6TDi, Campanella White
My first Touareg love affair, found a new home locally.
The Following User Says Thank You to seafarer28 For This Useful Post:
Luke G (03-06-2018)
post #9 of 13 Old 03-06-2018 Thread Starter

Hi Seafarer28,
Yes you are correct it was done through a VW dealership as my mechanic did not have access to the "tool". Reading your enhancements on your Touareg, it must be some awesome beast.
post #10 of 13 Old 03-06-2018
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2006 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke G View Post
Hi Everyone,
Tthe "turbo sensor" situation has turned into a real debacle. I thought is was important to warn you of the trap for young players. The VW workshop fitted the sensor and as they have never seen this problem before, did not know that there is a special "vacuum calibrating" tool that is required to align the sensor and the turbo. Would you believe it, this tool is not available in Western Australia (WA) and needs to be dispatched via Sydney, New South Wales.
WA stands for Wait Awhile as it has been over a week and still no tool.
I should have told them about the tool, but I presumed they would know better than me.
Lesson for the day - don't be afraid to question the mechanics knowledge or pass yours on.

How the hell do you need a vacuum calibration tool for a V6 turbo charger ??
Maybe needed on a R5 with a vacuum controlled turbo but not a electronic actuator ????

regards
Drag

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode