TDI cam and lifter information. - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 5 Old 04-28-2018 Thread Starter

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Exclamation TDI cam and lifter information.

Hello all,

I have a couple of interesting updates that some might find interesting.
Firstly, Colt Cams has brand new better cams that will be ready to ship in a week (maybe 2 tops) for the V10 touareg! WOOT. I'm going to be installing a set of them into my 04, and a couple other local fellows. This job can be done without dropping the engine and I will post up a video on the removal and reinstallation of these cams documenting the procedure.

The other reason for posting is regarding the hydraulic lifters in the TDI engines. Specifically the newer "better" black nitrided lifters.
I made a video about this yesterday and it has been shown to Colt and Kerma before it was made public. I imagine a number of people who do business with these people will be notified regarding this issue in the following weeks.

Here is a link to the video

If you do not wish to watch the video the short version is that all the TDI engines have an improper grind on them. There is a .011" ridge on the cams which is what you would find on a solid lifter style cam grind. But VW does not include the proper entry ramp to follow it.... But due to the cam and lifter issues they put out the black nitrided lifter which is harder and should help to reduce wear. What they did not state is that they modified the lifters by changing the piston design and adding a spring to make a hydraulic lifter that then maintains roughly a .014" valve lash.
This means that these lifters MAY help to reduce the wear on a stock ground camshaft. I say may because the cam grind does not actually have the proper re-entry ramp that is on a mechanical/solid profile. But most cams being sold now (and all performance grinds) are using a proper hydraulic lifter profile.
So this means that if you have a performance or new cam with a better profile, and are using the black nitrided lifters. You are getting a slap between the lifters and cam lobe that will likely cause an accelerated rate of wear on the parts.
To correct this, all you need to do is pull the lifters, smack them on a hard surface to pop the piston out and remove the spring that sits right on top of the piston. Then push the piston back into the lifter and reassemble. There will be much less top end noise in the engine after doing this as well.

I hope that this helps a few people save a few $$$ on repairs down the road!

Cheers everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-29-2018
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2004 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: Old heap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjensan View Post
Hello all,

I have a couple of interesting updates that some might find interesting.
Firstly, Colt Cams has brand new better cams that will be ready to ship in a week (maybe 2 tops) for the V10 touareg! WOOT. I'm going to be installing a set of them into my 04, and a couple other local fellows. This job can be done without dropping the engine and I will post up a video on the removal and reinstallation of these cams documenting the procedure.

The other reason for posting is regarding the hydraulic lifters in the TDI engines. Specifically the newer "better" black nitrided lifters.
I made a video about this yesterday and it has been shown to Colt and Kerma before it was made public. I imagine a number of people who do business with these people will be notified regarding this issue in the following weeks.

Here is a link to the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty-sdftGx40

If you do not wish to watch the video the short version is that all the TDI engines have an improper grind on them. There is a .011" ridge on the cams which is what you would find on a solid lifter style cam grind. But VW does not include the proper entry ramp to follow it.... But due to the cam and lifter issues they put out the black nitrided lifter which is harder and should help to reduce wear. What they did not state is that they modified the lifters by changing the piston design and adding a spring to make a hydraulic lifter that then maintains roughly a .014" valve lash.
This means that these lifters MAY help to reduce the wear on a stock ground camshaft. I say may because the cam grind does not actually have the proper re-entry ramp that is on a mechanical/solid profile. But most cams being sold now (and all performance grinds) are using a proper hydraulic lifter profile.
So this means that if you have a performance or new cam with a better profile, and are using the black nitrided lifters. You are getting a slap between the lifters and cam lobe that will likely cause an accelerated rate of wear on the parts.
To correct this, all you need to do is pull the lifters, smack them on a hard surface to pop the piston out and remove the spring that sits right on top of the piston. Then push the piston back into the lifter and reassemble. There will be much less top end noise in the engine after doing this as well.

I hope that this helps a few people save a few $$$ on repairs down the road!

Cheers everyone.
Thank you and looking forward to the camshaft instillation video, is there different performance grinds for the v10?
post #3 of 5 Old 04-29-2018 Thread Starter

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: Still looking
I think it will be a set grind that Colt comes up with. They do all the cams for Kerma and others. I do know that the injectors are advanced some as well as having more lift and duration. I will call them tomorrow and see if I can get the grind info that will be used.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 04-29-2018
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2004 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: Old heap
Ok that would be appreciated.
post #5 of 5 Old 04-30-2018
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2006 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjensan View Post
I think it will be a set grind that Colt comes up with. They do all the cams for Kerma and others. I do know that the injectors are advanced some as well as having more lift and duration. I will call them tomorrow and see if I can get the grind info that will be used.

Having put a set of Colt cams across a cam doctor machine to compare them to the factory T1,T2 and R50 cams the difference is as mentioned above.
The colts change to a hydraulic profile (mind you the lifter info above is very illuminating) and have slightly more lift, duration and some injection timing advance but that is it full stop.
The injection timing advance is really moot as the V10 timing is set by the injection lobe so if set like factory no advance is really there.
Unless you set like most tuners do and set by valve lift at overlap.
Nothing that will give you any noticeable power increase. They will give you a smoother idle.
The gains are in the ECU tune after and I would think longevity of the cams lifters.
The colt cams are made from billets from Turkey I believe but are quite a good grind finish kudos to them there.
No real difference to my billet, induction hardened Down under Aussie made TDI cams.

regards
Drag

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode