Replacing my V6 TDI CASA Turbo at 240,000 km. - Club Touareg Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By hedditch

post #1 of 9 Old 10-16-2017 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2008 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Garage
Replacing my V6 TDI CASA Turbo at 240,000 km.

Today I acquired a direct replacement for my VW/Garrett Turbo charger to replace mine which is showing signs of wear. That wear being in the Variable Geometry hardware which is internal to the exhaust side and unable to be lubricated. As a result wear and deterioration is unavoidable.

The replacement is from Denco Diesel in Wagga Wagga NSW, thanks going to our resident accountant and price checking expert, Seafarer28 (aka Tony B). The price from VW for Part Number 059 145 722 R was AU$ 3,790.00 plus 10% GST (Tax), where this unit, although being a Garrett, makes no mention of VW or any part numbers except the Garrett # which is 776470-5003W and sells for the price of $1,710.00 or 45 % of the OEM cost. By the way the Denco price included GST and delivery.

Thank you Tony, another fine mess you have rescued me from...

Stuart.....

Modern Art at Its Best
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171016_192719_001.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	403.2 KB
ID:	195713   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171016_192701.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	504.1 KB
ID:	195721  

Steve_L likes this.

2008 V6 TDI, with the following Retrofitted Items:
ACC, Front & Side Assist, Paddle Shift, Towbar & Trailer Module, Fiscon Bluetooth. Reversing Camera, Front Fog Lamps, Redarc TowPro Brake Controller, T1 Door Warning Lamps, T1 Under Seat Drawer, Alloy Skid Plate, 5ton Winch, Cayenne Front and Rear Sway Bars, Tuned by Oettinger, Retrofitted 6 Piston Brembo Front Brake Callipers, Sports Steering Wheel, TPMS (OEM), Dual Batteries
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-16-2017
Learner

Touareg: 2006 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: 2015 V8 TDI
Interesting, how did you know your turbo had worn out Stuart?

V8 TDI R line MY15, White, Panoramic roof, VW towbar. Dynamic Road Sign Recognition, Lane Assist, Traffic Reports, Google Earth enabled. All Led.

V10 TDI, MYO6 on Conti CrossContact 255/60/18s with RNS510, Paddle Shifters, Rear Diff lock, Mounted Spare, Bluetooth, 4 Zone CC, Keyless, AFS Xenons, TPMS, Easy Entry/Exit, Twin Batteries, Air Suspension, Sunroof, Icom IC440 UHF radio...

Had, Sold & Missed...V6 petrol on Pirelli AT's with Sat Nav, Rear Diff lock, Bluetooth & Phatbox.
post #3 of 9 Old 10-16-2017 Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh View Post
Interesting, how did you know your turbo had worn out Stuart?
The engine is dropping into limp mode "Torque restriction to Protect Engine" in MFD and total loss of power from time to time whilst towing the caravan. Only happens at high loads at the moment, however Tony B had the same issue and it will get worse over time. I put this in the Long term maintenance category.

Research on the Web indicates that wear in the mech results in the vanes being unable to direct the gas flow to the required amount. Another common fault is carbon jamming the mech, but mine is quite free, so it looks like wear is the culprit.

Stu...

ACC, Front & Side Assist, Paddle Shift, Towbar & Trailer Module, Fiscon Bluetooth. Reversing Camera, Front Fog Lamps, Redarc TowPro Brake Controller, T1 Door Warning Lamps, T1 Under Seat Drawer, Alloy Skid Plate, 5ton Winch, Cayenne Front and Rear Sway Bars, Tuned by Oettinger, Retrofitted 6 Piston Brembo Front Brake Callipers, Sports Steering Wheel, TPMS (OEM), Dual Batteries
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 10-16-2017
Learner

Makes me wonder about the turbos in the v10 now....carbon eh....hmmmm

V8 TDI R line MY15, White, Panoramic roof, VW towbar. Dynamic Road Sign Recognition, Lane Assist, Traffic Reports, Google Earth enabled. All Led.

V10 TDI, MYO6 on Conti CrossContact 255/60/18s with RNS510, Paddle Shifters, Rear Diff lock, Mounted Spare, Bluetooth, 4 Zone CC, Keyless, AFS Xenons, TPMS, Easy Entry/Exit, Twin Batteries, Air Suspension, Sunroof, Icom IC440 UHF radio...

Had, Sold & Missed...V6 petrol on Pirelli AT's with Sat Nav, Rear Diff lock, Bluetooth & Phatbox.
post #5 of 9 Old 11-08-2017 Thread Starter

Garage
Trying to make my Car Live for Ever.

Job Done,

The car has its new Turbo, and as expected, I can't tell the difference.. A little disappointing for the money spent..LOL.. However Ange, Dave and Matt at Volksrepair in Airport West (see link below) did a great job, along with replacing all my rear suspension hardware. Now I have a car with most failure risks removed/replaced/or mitigated. It's almost like a partial odometer reset.

So the following items have now been replaced by Volksrepair, above and beyond normal scheduled maintenance:

1. Wheel Bearings ( front and rear ) 2 years ago
2. Common Rail HPFP 3 months ago
3. Front Suspension Swing Arms ( upper and Lower) 2 months ago.
4. Rear Suspension Swing Arms ( upper and Lower) Last Week.
5. Turbocharger - Last Week.

Thanks to....

VolksRepair - The Best Aftermarket VW shop in Melbourne....

http://www.volksrepairairportwest.com.au/About-Us

If anybody is interested the Suspension parts are from.......

Front.....

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4x-Querl...72.m2749.l2649

Rear..........

VW TOUAREG 7LA 7L6 REAR SUSPENSION ARM WISHBONE CONTROL SET KIT HIGHT QUALITY | eBay

VW TOUAREG CAYENNE Q7 REAR SUSPENSION ARM WISHBONE CONTROL SET KIT LOWER BUSH | eBay

Tregging is an Addiction

Stuart....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot from 2017-11-08 19-26-44.png
Views:	42
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	198258   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2017-11-08 19-28-50.png
Views:	39
Size:	421.7 KB
ID:	198266  

Name:	Screenshot from 2017-11-08 19-28-14.png
Views:	45
Size:	475.0 KB
ID:	198274   Click image for larger version

Name:	old turbo.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	556.5 KB
ID:	198282  

The Following User Says Thank You to hedditch For This Useful Post:
nickyt (11-08-2017)
post #6 of 9 Old 11-08-2017
Learner

Nice one Stu! Thanks for sharing these links too

post #7 of 9 Old 02-07-2018
Touareg Enthusiast

Re: A little disappointing for the money spent.

Hi Stu,
Did you try oven cleaner trick first on Turbo? If you still have it, can you show us what exhaust side looks like and how many km it did? I'm curious as to how much gunk/wear was accumulated.

Ta. Sam.
post #8 of 9 Old 02-18-2018

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Curious how many miles/KMs were on your rig at each of the listed maintenance issues above..

Thanks
post #9 of 9 Old 03-28-2018
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: 2006 V8
If the mechanicals aren't too bad you can disassemble the turbo, clean everything very well, and lubricate the vanes with a nice nuclear grade anti-seize paste

2014 Touareg TDi Executive Package

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode