R5 low boost - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 18 Old 04-17-2019 Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2004 R5
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
R5 low boost

I didn't write down the code before I cleared it and the problem is still there.

I started when I got fuel about 1000 kms from home.
When I left the garage and accelerated to highway speed the engine light flashed rapidly and the engine stalled.
The engine restarted while it was still rolling and the light went out but it was driving a bit sluggish.
I had to do a U turn to go back to the garage because my wife left something there and it did the same thing again.

When the engine restarted it drove ok for 400 kms.

When I got to where I was going I checked the air filter and was horrified to find that it was deformed and being sucked into the inlet.

I straightened it out and the engine ran great until we got back home.

My wife was driving it and the engine became very sluggish but no warning light.
I bought a new air filter and installed it but that didn't change anything, it's driving like it did that time the boost pipe came off.

2700 rpm flat out in the driveway and it would go up to 3000rpm if I back the throttle off a bit.
The code said something about boost.

The VPN actuator runs freely. It's puffing some air out of the boost pipe but probably not enough.

Any clues?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 04-17-2019
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash635 View Post
It's puffing some air out of the boost pipe but probably not enough.
So your charge pipes have a leak? But you're saying it's not enough? I'm not following
post #3 of 18 Old 04-17-2019 Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboABA View Post
So your charge pipes have a leak? But you're saying it's not enough? I'm not following

Ah, no. That would be a pretty straightforward diagnosis.
I disconnected the charge pipe with the engine running to see if anything was coming out and if it made a difference to the way the engine ran.

T'm not at all familiar with the flow of air in a healthy system.

It drives just like it did that time the charge pipe blew off.

Would a clogged air filter do anything to the turbo?

There's no strange noises which I believe usually accompany a failed turbo.

The old air filter was definitely in one piece, no chunks in the inlet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 04-17-2019
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2005 R5 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Get a mechanical guage plumbed in. Take readings after turbo, pre-intercooler and pre-intake manifold.

I recenrly had a boost leak where the pipe attaches to the top of the intercooler. Two torx screws came loose.

Get a helper to put car in drive, stamp on brakes and give throttle while in tiptronic second gear. You can get boost built up like that and check for leaks. Do it in 15 seconds stints with 2 minute idle rest periods to keep ATF cool.

Once boost leaks are eliminated check that VGT operates like this

All vw/audi engines must use 507.00 spec oil except non-DPF R5/V10 engines that must use 505.01/506.01
93 Pajero GLS 3.0 V6 LWB - SOLD
2001 Gen3 Di-D LWB - SOLD
2005 Touareg 2.5 TDi Air & Bi-Xenon
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 18 Old 04-17-2019 Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ePikanini View Post
Get a mechanical guage plumbed in. Take readings after turbo, pre-intercooler and pre-intake manifold.

I recenrly had a boost leak where the pipe attaches to the top of the intercooler. Two torx screws came loose.

etc.....
Thanks, I'll try that.
I'm convinced it's a boost problem but not convinced it's a damaged turbo - no noise.

The actuator does operate properly, that was the one thing I knew how to check.

Do you know if there is a better intercooler that fits in the space?
post #6 of 18 Old 04-17-2019
Touareg Mechanic

I would remove the intake and visually look at the compressor blades. If your filter was that collapsed, it is possible that something got past it, which could potentially damage the blades. After that, check for boost leaks. Clearing codes after experiencing a repeated symptom without fixing anything with the hopes that they magically go away is never good. Read the codes again..... their purpose is to guide the diagnosis down the correct path. There could be many potential factors\causes. We are doing some blind troubleshooting here by ignoring the DTCs.
post #7 of 18 Old 04-17-2019 Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboABA View Post
I would remove the intake and visually look at the compressor blades. If your filter was that collapsed, it is possible that something got past it, which could potentially damage the blades. After that, check for boost leaks. Clearing codes after experiencing a repeated symptom without fixing anything with the hopes that they magically go away is never good. Read the codes again..... their purpose is to guide the diagnosis down the correct path. There could be many potential factors\causes. We are doing some blind troubleshooting here by ignoring the DTCs.
The filter was still all in one piece and sealed at the edges so I doubt anything got past but that would be a really good explanation for what's happening.

When I cleared the codes I was convinced that the new filter was going to cure it.
I've tried to bring the codes up again but there's none there even after running the engine for some time.
I don't think it's safe to drive it.
post #8 of 18 Old 04-17-2019
Touareg Mechanic

If you don't have codes, it's more than likely not very bad. If it's not making power like it should you clearly have something going on. If the compressor is damaged and can't make boost, you'll never make power..... if you have a boost leak, you're dumping all the compressed air before it gets into the engine, you're only getting fuel instead of fuel and air..... look into it. I wouldn't risk driving it without knowing what the issue is. You already did that for a long time, so if something is about to fail catastrophically, you're better off catching it at this stage before it grenades something more expensive. Do a full autoscan on it even if you don't have any CELs. Some errors and codes or trigger a CEL after numerous repeated patterns, etc. Hopefully you're using VCDS not some generic crap.
post #9 of 18 Old 04-17-2019 Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

When I drove it home, 1400 kms, it ran well and I thought it was just the air filter.
I usually wouldn't risk it.

Yes, VCDS.

It's dark now but I've got things to look at tomorrow.
post #10 of 18 Old 04-18-2019 Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

It looks like the turbo outlet has come loose, two Torx screws eh 4e?

I don't know why that would be intermittent or if the air filter had anything to do with it at all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode