Piggyback Tuners - T3 - 7P - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 12 Old 03-30-2019 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: is jealous
Garage
Piggyback Tuners - T3 - 7P

Doing some research on adding a piggyback tuner to my '14 TDI. I have read several posts on "go with a tune". This is not an option unless we want to completely give up our emissions warranty. Once the emissions warranty is up then I will go with a Malone Stage 2, but for now I need to keep it mild and beneficial.

4 Options: DTUK - TDI-Tuning - VR Tuned - ChipWerke Pro

The plan is to get the TCM Flash Fix and a piggyback tuner.

Trying to find out if anyone has any personal experience worth adding to the forum. I know that Mythdoc over on TDIClub has experience with the Chipwerke's on his Q5 TDI.

2014 Touareg Exec TDi - Black on Black - Purchased 2/2019 with 60k mi. Mods: Splash Guards and some coding so far. Own ODBeleven and VCDS HEX-V2

"Life is not about how you handle the straight aways. It is about how you handle the corners." TreadLightly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-31-2019
Touareg Mechanic

Second Vehicle: VW 2
Take this with a grain of salt.... my Touareg is bone stock.
I've used piggyback crap on gassers in the past, and they don't provide a lot of benefits.... you can get some, but not a lot.

If you get a Malone tune and a FlashZilla, you could theoretically flash back to stock in the event of a warranty issue.
Now, as others may point out, depending on who's looking and how technical they are, there will always be evidence left behind if someone wants to prove that you've messed with stuff..... but the chances of anyone putting in that effort is minimal at best.

I've also recently come across an European option which I had not seen before, but it's not cheap..... I'll see if I can dig it up again to share.
post #3 of 12 Old 03-31-2019 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboABA View Post
Take this with a grain of salt.... my Touareg is bone stock.
I've used piggyback crap on gassers in the past, and they don't provide a lot of benefits.... you can get some, but not a lot.

If you get a Malone tune and a FlashZilla, you could theoretically flash back to stock in the event of a warranty issue.
Now, as others may point out, depending on who's looking and how technical they are, there will always be evidence left behind if someone wants to prove that you've messed with stuff..... but the chances of anyone putting in that effort is minimal at best.

I've also recently come across an European option which I had not seen before, but it's not cheap..... I'll see if I can dig it up again to share.
Unless your "gasser" was boosted, ie turbo or supercharged, then it would have minimal performance improvement.

All tunes cause the ECM to flag. VW will know and then warranty will most likely be voided or at least the dealership will have the option to deny the claim.

A couple of the piggyback tuners that I listed are from Europe.

2014 Touareg Exec TDi - Black on Black - Purchased 2/2019 with 60k mi. Mods: Splash Guards and some coding so far. Own ODBeleven and VCDS HEX-V2

"Life is not about how you handle the straight aways. It is about how you handle the corners." TreadLightly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 03-31-2019
Touareg Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdltly View Post
Unless your "gasser" was boosted, ie turbo or supercharged, then it would have minimal performance improvement.
Now I know where I went wrong... I guess that CAI wasn't enough of a mod to get all the benefits of the system.
post #5 of 12 Old 03-31-2019
Touareg Mechanic

Second Vehicle: 2006 V8
Quote:

All tunes cause the ECM to flag. VW will know and then warranty will most likely be voided or at least the dealership will have the option to deny the claim.

A couple of the piggyback tuners that I listed are from Europe.
Not entirely ture, the malone stock tune will return it back to stock.

It seems that VAG is more concerned about the calibration, and software numbers being correct than they are with the number of flashes...

2014 Touareg TDi Executive Package
post #6 of 12 Old 04-01-2019
Touareg Mechanic

Quote:
This

DTS Chiptuning
post #7 of 12 Old 04-01-2019 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yrktreg View Post
Not entirely ture, the malone stock tune will return it back to stock.

It seems that VAG is more concerned about the calibration, and software numbers being correct than they are with the number of flashes...
I will definitely have to research this. My preference would certainly be a real tune and not the piggyback.

I know there are rumors of VW techs or engineers being able to tell if even a piggyback tuner was used due to the increased boost, head, and/or fuel pressure. Any VW techs out there that can confirm this? I read something about a "Flag" also. Not sure.

post #8 of 12 Old 04-01-2019 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Another one to add to the list - 5 in total now to choose from.

post #9 of 12 Old 04-01-2019 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Now I know where I went wrong... I guess that CAI wasn't enough of a mod to get all the benefits of the system.
Hah. Well at least you didn't do the stick on hood scoop or PVC snorkel and expect huge improvements.

I had a Unichip on a Mazda6 (not a Speed6). It was naturally aspirated V6. The stock "tune" of the Unichip made just minor improvement. At the time I lived close to Unichip so they had a Tech ride with me to fine tune it. You can only do so much with timing and fuel. He was able to tweak it a little, but really there is not much to do unless I added some boost. Sold the Mazda and bought an '04 A6 SLine with the 2.7t. Had that tuned the second day I owned it. Been in love with boost ever since.

post #10 of 12 Old 04-01-2019

Second Vehicle: 2014 V6 TDI
Quote:
I will definitely have to research this. My preference would certainly be a real tune and not the piggyback.

I know there are rumors of VW techs or engineers being able to tell if even a piggyback tuner was used due to the increased boost, head, and/or fuel pressure. Any VW techs out there that can confirm this? I read something about a "Flag" also. Not sure.
Called "TD1" flag, lots of info if you google it.

2014 Touareg TDI, Unitronic Tuned
2014 Audi A6 TDI, Unitronic Tuned

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode