Club Touareg Forum banner

No power from engine when cold

6K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  C-ya 
#1 ·
Hi, I am new to touareg ownership, I have a 07 2.5tdi and unfortunately I have absolutely no power when it's cold. Pulling out of work or home is actually dangerous.
Has anyone experienced this?
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks

#2 ·
How cold is cold? Any other symptoms? Is it fine once partially warmed up or fully warmed up? Any changes recently?

I would look at your fuel filter first. Unless your idea of cold is above freezing, it could be your fuel is gelling up. Maybe run some fuel additive to your fuel tank - something with some antigel in it. And drain the water from the bottom of the fuel filter/water separator.

#5 ·
Sorry about that, I am in Ireland so ranges from anything from 0 to 6/7 in the morning this time of year, but she was doing the same thing in the summer, I am not sure if the temp outside is having a bearing, just seems to be cold starts like in the afternoon heading home from work etc.

#6 ·
Fuel Filter first then, if needed, checks for other common problems.

#8 ·
Hey all,

Is this post closed? I am having the same problem with my 2005 R5 TDI... It needs to warm up like a WWII diesel truck for 5 minutes before I can get it to move... and seeing that the old girl just had a complete engine overhaul... and my mechanic says there is nothing wrong... a car modern that does NOT move after you start it sounds ridiculous... all the electronic test come back as nominal... could this be a gearbox problem and not an engine problem? TIA for any feedback!

#10 ·
Cold start, to most people, means that the engine is not warm/hot from previously running. If I say cold start, I am in no way referring to the ambient temperature. If ambient temp were relevant, I would say so.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.