Malone Stage 2 with Delete or similar - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 17 Old 02-14-2019 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Malone Stage 2 with Delete or similar

Good afternoon all from this newbie - I am actually an imposter, as we just purchased a 2013 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI with under 41k miles. However, it has Touareg guts.

I used to drive exclusively TDIs from the late 90's through 2008 and modified all of them with Rocketchips, big bore exhausts with muffler deletes, 2x oversize injectors, air intakes, VR6 clutches etc. Would like to modify the Q7 for similar gains (major) while realizing my modifications knowledge is arcane, and recognizing I won't be able to double the output of the Q7 for about a grand, as with the B4 Passat and 1st gen New Beetle TDIs.....looking to do as much as possible without going with an upgraded turbo, intercooler etc.

I am seriously considering Malone Stage 2 or similar and welcome any impressions or recommendations as to this or similar programming and the rationale. Also info from those with deletes - either Malone or others - benefits/drawbacks??

Would also appreciate info on any other performance mods in addition to these that won't break the bank, realizing how fast I want to go depends on how much I can spend.

Last, what is the impact of any performance mods on the extended exhaust/limited drivetrain warranty?

Many thanks,

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 02-14-2019
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2015 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: too many to list
Garage
I have the Malone stage 2 with DPF/SCR/EGR deletes and RawTek DPF/SCR delete exhaust, and original TCM coding (from Joe/yrktreg). It is an absolute rocket from a standstill and at speed. Gobs of torque and still 10L/100km or better economy. The only drawback is if you have the EGR disabled, it could take a tad longer for the engine to warm up in really cold climates if you have a leisurely drive. The DPF/AdBlue system seems to be quite problem-prone (heater and pump failures, etc). By deleting the whole system you avoid that mess and gain a good amount more instant torque and shorter turbo spool time. You can do it in stages, of course. Get the TCM flash, then an ECU tune, the emissions deletes.

Naturally with any tune, you risk voiding the warranty if it's related to the failure. It is possible to "revert back to stock" with Malone, not sure about others.

Highly recommend the above mods.

'81 Rabbit S 16vG60 | '01 A6 2.7TT 6MT | '15 Touareg TDI Exec R-line

- OEM air suspension retrofit
- OEM parking heater retrofit
- OEM Easy-Open hatch retrofit
- OEM ambient lighting retrofit
post #3 of 17 Old 02-15-2019 Thread Starter

*Bump*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 02-15-2019
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewblekka View Post
The only drawback is if you have the EGR disabled, it could take a tad longer for the engine to warm up in really cold climates if you have a leisurely drive. T
I wonder if Malone could code an increased idle based on Temp, or even a switch for upping the idle?

2016 Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI Lux
2018 Passat 2.0 TSI R-Line
post #5 of 17 Old 02-15-2019
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2015 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: too many to list
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae View Post
*Bump*
You can't bump your own thread less than 24 hours after a post lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketTech View Post
I wonder if Malone could code an increased idle based on Temp, or even a switch for upping the idle?
Spoke with malone about having dynamic EGR like the ALH/BEW and he said its not currently possible, the EGR control in the V6 is rather complex.

'81 Rabbit S 16vG60 | '01 A6 2.7TT 6MT | '15 Touareg TDI Exec R-line

- OEM air suspension retrofit
- OEM parking heater retrofit
- OEM Easy-Open hatch retrofit
- OEM ambient lighting retrofit
post #6 of 17 Old 02-16-2019
Touareg Mechanic

Second Vehicle: Other
I just had the entire EGR cooler assembly replaced under the powertrain warranty . 2013 TDI with 84,000 miles. Sigh...I miss Toyota reliability, but wouldn't head back to a 4Runner unless they offer a higher towing capacity and better fuel economy. I would miss 23-24 mpg that the TDI delivers, and strong road performance and handling characteristics.

As soon as I clock over the 100,000 miles, I will seriously consider getting a tune (likely APR) , with EGR delete and possible SCR (AdBlue) delete as well if that system fails. I am not certain I need the DPF deleted. I am only looking for reliability gains, with removal of the systems that are prove to reliability issues that cost a fortune to repair out of warranty. And also recovering some performance for towing a mid weight 6500 pound trailer.
post #7 of 17 Old 02-16-2019
Touareg Enthusiast

Second Vehicle: VW 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewblekka View Post

Spoke with malone about having dynamic EGR like the ALH/BEW and he said its not currently possible, the EGR control in the V6 is rather complex.

Ah, Thanks. An idle-up sure would be handy; I guess it's not in the cards that way.

2016 Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI Lux
2018 Passat 2.0 TSI R-Line
post #8 of 17 Old 02-22-2019

Does the EGR need to be Deleted physically with the Malone stage 2 or can it be left intact?
post #9 of 17 Old 02-23-2019
Touareg Enthusiast

Garage
It doesnt need to be deleted. Im running the stage 2 delete tune with the adblue delete and straight downpipe. EGR is still intact for now.
post #10 of 17 Old 02-23-2019

Thanks, kinda what I thought , I just got this cel code for EGR temp sensor. Wondered why that would happen, if EGR is deleted?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode