Jumping onto the Diesel Additive bandwagon - Club Touareg Forums
 5Likes

post #1 of 39 Old 02-12-2019 Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Jumping onto the Diesel Additive bandwagon

Well, I decided to try these since so many of you swear how great additives are.
I just ordered a case of this stuff, and I will be using it in both my 2L and 3L TDIs.
The 2L has 249k kms on it, and has never had anything other than pump fuel put into it..... it's never given me any issues as far as gelling, fuel freezing, etc.
The 3L has 108k kms on it, but I've only had it for the last 8k, so I don't know if the previous owner used anything in the past.

I will attempt to report back on results if I notice any differences, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DFA.png
Views:	105
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	220961  
trdltly likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 02-12-2019

Interested to see if you notice any differences.
Here in Australia I try to use "BP Ultimate Diesel" which has some cleaning properties in our v8 TDI.
Haven't had any issues, but then nor have you.

Sent from my SM-T835 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 39 Old 02-12-2019
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
In Europe, there's a minimum amount of cleaners that's mandatory with big brand fuel using more cleaner and even more in the high grade fuel.

Cleaners will improve an engine that's in poor condition but won't do anything if it's in good condition.

I use supermarket cheapest fuel but with a shot of Millers Power Ecomax every 1,000 miles - I can't tell any difference, though DIESEL POWER ECOMAX | Millers Oils - Advanced Lubricants, Oils and Fuel Additives

2015 (16MY) Touareg SE 258 bhp
The Following User Says Thank You to Black Grouse For This Useful Post:
Togwotee (03-19-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 Old 02-12-2019
Touareg Enthusiast

Second Vehicle: is jealous
Garage
I am also looking into doing the same. I am looking for the cetane and lube increase. What made you decide on this product vs the 150 others? There are many that stand out and many that get great reviews. Just curious on your choice.

Being further north, you obviously need to worry about the colder temperatures.

Thanks.

2014 Touareg Exec TDi - Black on Black - Purchased 2/2019 with 60k mi. Mods: Splash Guards and some coding so far. Own ODBeleven and VCDS HEX-V2

"Life is not about how you handle the straight aways. It is about how you handle the corners." TreadLightly
post #5 of 39 Old 02-12-2019
Touareg Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdltly View Post
I am also looking into doing the same. I am looking for the cetane and lube increase. What made you decide on this product vs the 150 others? There are many that stand out and many that get great reviews. Just curious on your choice.

Thanks.

As I understand it, any Cetane increase is minor and increasing it doesn't have the same effect as raising the octane on petrol/gasoline engines.

2015 (16MY) Touareg SE 258 bhp
post #6 of 39 Old 02-12-2019
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2008 R5 TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Grouse View Post
As I understand it, any Cetane increase is minor and increasing it doesn't have the same effect as raising the octane on petrol/gasoline engines.
Not on power, but it definitely makes fuel burn better, which in turn lowers the amount of soot generated and also makes the engine run smoother. Diesel additives also usually help with fuel gelling, even though that generally shouldn't be a problem, but in the most extreme climates.
post #7 of 39 Old 02-12-2019
Touareg Enthusiast

Second Vehicle: Other
For the record, I am not swearing how great fuel additives are. I use a lubricity formula in the Touareg as an insurance policy against a fuel pump failure due to the HPFP and out area's low quality fuel.

For reference, I have a 2003 7.3L E-350, a 2004 Jetta wagon (1.9L), and a 2008 Chevy pickup. All are at 200,000 miles +/- 15,000. I had not added any sort of additive to them for more than a few thousand miles to see if it made a difference. This past summer, I had to replace the injectors on my Duramax due to excessive return flow. The cost was $3,200 plus two brutal days in the garage. Had the job been performed in a shop, I'm guessing it would have cost me twice that. None of the other vehicles has ever had any fuel system work performed on them. The injector failure was almost certainly a function of fuel quality, or lack thereof. However, if I had been adding Stanadyne Performance Formula to those three vehicles (and that's the one I would use if I used a general additive), I calculate that it would have cost me $7,000 - $8,000USD over those 600,000 miles. If your cars get better mileage, the cost goes way down.

There is supposedly a fuel economy increase when using additives, but I have not been able to discern one when I experimented with using them.

Full disclosure: Following the injector replacement, I started using the Stanadyne Lubricity Formula in my all of my diesel powered vehicles. I can't say if it is doing anything and I'm not sure it pays off economically even it if does do something, but it sort of makes me feel better.
post #8 of 39 Old 02-12-2019 Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdltly View Post

Thanks.
Nothing specific... just lots of reading, and a reputable "well known" brand.
It was also a product that I could find and order online on this side of the border for a reasonable cost..... bringing stuff across the border adds all sorts of fees and such.
post #9 of 39 Old 02-12-2019
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2015 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
I use it in the cold months as insurance. Like I stated before, got a batch of diesel during a cold snap last year that froze up the fuel filter. In a few weeks I'll stop using it and just use pump fuel. I dunno about needing extra lubricity or cetane boost. If the fuel pump grenades between now and 120,000 VW will buy a new one! Before I hit 120,000 I'll be in a full size (Expedition or Yukon) or trade for a very low mile 2016 Reef Blue (there is a Lux and an Exec on autotrader now, the Lux is a good deal but I kinda want an Exec) I just dont have the green light from the wife now, sigh....

2004 GMC Envoy "Rusty"(Sold), 2013 Jetta TDI (Buyback, 2017 MB GLC on order)
post #10 of 39 Old 03-04-2019 Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

First update:
I am now on my first "treated" tanks in both the 2L & the 3L TDIs.
I will attempt to see if there's any MPG improvement or anything. In terms of startup\running, no noticeable difference.
It was -20dec C last night, and about -15dec C when I left for work in the 3L. It started as usual and as expected.
It's supposed to be brisk over the next 2-3 days, so I'm going to let my 2L sit and freeze "off the block heater" as a test to see if it fires up after sitting for a week in cold temps. (not that I wouldn't expect it to not do so - pre-treatment)

Stay tuned.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode