Interested transmission flash fix part II: I broke the internet - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 17 Old 08-09-2018 Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: 2006 V8
Interested transmission flash fix part II: I broke the internet

OK look like for some reason posts are not being updated in the original thread aka I broke the internet

https://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f...de-280754.html

Let us continue here...

If you posted interest in the original thread I have your name on the waiting list for your respective loaner exchange model.

I will post up the official VW instructions on the TCM removal here.

I will say that the easiest way is to remove all 4 of the 10mm triple square bolts, the next easiest is the remove the bolt that holds the TCM mounting bracket in place.
The TCM is mounted upside down and is clipped into the bracket using 2 mounting tabs on either side of it.

So let us continue the fixing here in this thread. You can read through all 23 pages of the other thread especially towards the end for reviews of my TCM tunes.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TCM Removal .pdf (598.5 KB, 73 views)

2014 Touareg TDi Executive Package
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 08-10-2018
Touareg Enthusiast

Interested , '14 Lux. Had a 2013 pre dieselgate and post.... Awful what VW did to shifting, and to the engine tune. I am off 10% on my MPG's, and it shifts like a crummy gasser now, and HP and torque on low end and midrange is way down, probably 20 to 25% to make CARB happy, and VW owners miserable. A restore to original shifting and factory tune pre dieselgate are on my want list. PM me, please, don't have 15 posts yet.
post #3 of 17 Old 08-10-2018 Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurdBurgler View Post
Interested , '14 Lux. Had a 2013 pre dieselgate and post.... Awful what VW did to shifting, and to the engine tune. I am off 10% on my MPG's, and it shifts like a crummy gasser now, and HP and torque on low end and midrange is way down, probably 20 to 25% to make CARB happy, and VW owners miserable. A restore to original shifting and factory tune pre dieselgate are on my want list. PM me, please, don't have 15 posts yet.
I added you to the waiting list, and am sending a PM now...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 08-13-2018

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Noob to the site and also interested. I have a '13 TDI Sport (purchased from TurgBurgler).

Please PM me at your convenience.

Thanks!
Lee
post #5 of 17 Old 08-13-2018

Touareg: 2015 V6 TDI
Garage
TCM removal

Remove the 4 bolts that mount seat rails to floor. Move seat toward rear of car , not forwards. Use seat back tilt to adjust how far seat will lean. Doing this way takes 15 min tops with no issues.. watch your seat cables for any stress, you might need to unplug one small cable. Oh yea, peel carpet back and remove nut holding tcm... Wish i would have done this first...

2015 Touareg TDI
post #6 of 17 Old 08-13-2018 Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedorro View Post
Noob to the site and also interested. I have a '13 TDI Sport (purchased from TurgBurgler).

Please PM me at your convenience.

Thanks!
Lee
Hi Lee,
PM on the way sir!

post #7 of 17 Old 08-13-2018

Touareg: 2014 V6 FSI
Are there any tunes to fix gear shifts/low RPM rumbling @ 1200 RPMs in a '14 Sport gasser? Sometimes I'll be in 7/8th gear at 30mph going up a hill.
post #8 of 17 Old 08-13-2018
Touareg Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjmass1 View Post
Are there any tunes to fix gear shifts/low RPM rumbling @ 1200 RPMs in a '14 Sport gasser? Sometimes I'll be in 7/8th gear at 30mph going up a hill.
Unless someone swapped out your TCM 1200 rpm is odd as the dickens in a gasser, for pulling a load. It should shift out of 8th by 45-42 mph, at the very latest, and 37 mph in 7th gear, regardless of RPMs, going down hill. The Touareg has XYZ sensors that affect how the TCM shifts, due to slope, you are ascending or decending.

It's possible you have other issues, it should downshift to a lower gear, going up hills without hesitation.

The absolute earliest I can get into 7th gear, accelerating on level ground, is 40 to 42 mph, and about 50 mph for 8th gear. Going up hill, it holds gears to higher rpms, much longer.
post #9 of 17 Old 08-14-2018

Touareg: 2014 V6 FSI
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurdBurgler View Post
Unless someone swapped out your TCM 1200 rpm is odd as the dickens in a gasser, for pulling a load. It should shift out of 8th by 45-42 mph, at the very latest, and 37 mph in 7th gear, regardless of RPMs, going down hill. The Touareg has XYZ sensors that affect how the TCM shifts, due to slope, you are ascending or decending.

It's possible you have other issues, it should downshift to a lower gear, going up hills without hesitation.

The absolute earliest I can get into 7th gear, accelerating on level ground, is 40 to 42 mph, and about 50 mph for 8th gear. Going up hill, it holds gears to higher rpms, much longer.
How about on a flat either coasting or maybe a slow decent? I'd be at around 30mph with laggy throttle response, pop it to manual and see that I'm in 8th.

I had it at VW yesterday actually to diagnose shifting issues- they didn't find anything of course. It's definitely driving better, so maybe they did a full reset in addition to the gearbox. At low load ~1200rpm now I'm in 7th @ 37mph and 6th at around 30mph. We'll see how long this lasts.
post #10 of 17 Old 08-14-2018
Touareg Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjmass1 View Post
How about on a flat either coasting or maybe a slow decent? I'd be at around 30mph with laggy throttle response, pop it to manual and see that I'm in 8th.

I had it at VW yesterday actually to diagnose shifting issues- they didn't find anything of course. It's definitely driving better, so maybe they did a full reset in addition to the gearbox. At low load ~1200rpm now I'm in 7th @ 37mph and 6th at around 30mph. We'll see how long this lasts.
Use "sport" mode, or put your foot a little deeper into the accelerator, and it should shift down. VW sets them up for making Epa mileage and good MPG's. That means laggy performance. You want non laggy, performance, use "sport' mode and it will be more peppy. Your fuel mileage will suck, too. Can't have it both ways.

Tags
dieselgate , fix , shifting , touareg , transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode