Hep me: F I X the VW "Fix" - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 17 Old 6 Days Ago Thread Starter

Hep me: F I X the VW "Fix"

FYI, long post, thank you ahead for reading it....

Just purchased a 2012 Touareg TDI to replace my 1997 Toyota 4 Runner. The 4 Runner averaged about 19 miles to the gallon that was city and highway driving. I wanted the Touareg because I read it got close to 30 with highway driving and reports were about 26 city/highway. Well, I have had it about 3 weeks and it has averaged about 20-21 mpg city/highway. Not too far off from the 4 runner, not good.

Also, when I test drove these, I tested 2011, 2012, and 2013's models and they all drove differently. One had 98,000 miles on it and it ran like a bat out a hell, so powerful. I drove another with 51,000 and it drove much tamer and shifted really weird. Long story short, these were all TDI's that I test drove (about 6 in all) and they were not across the board equal. I figured it's because of the VW "fix".

I live in a state that does emissions testing for registration: you have to do emissions testing to get registered. So I can't delete anything. I'm considering the Kerma/Malone (stage 2) tune and the TCM tune by yrktreg. I have noticed my vehicle seems to hesitate going from a dead stop to a go. If I cross traffic, I press the gas and it hesitates like two seconds then it kicks in slowly and then after 2,000 RPM it begins to move. Will the ECM and TCM solve this and will these two items restore gas mileage? Any in here who have done both and seen gas mileage improvements?

I don't plan on racing the vehicle and I don't drive it like I stole it. I want to know the power is there, the shifting is there if I need it but I want the gas mileage that VW originally said it had pre "fix"/corruption.

Also, any of you who went Kerma regret it? Did kerma destroy your motor or have you seen no issues? I ask because I called them the other day and they said they have ironed out the bugs from years past and the 2019 tunes are mint. The euro/diesel tuners here over the phone have told me that Kerma gets the most power closest to original pre fix and Malone stage 2 is an improvement but not as noticeable as Kerma. Before I pull the trigger, I figured I ask you all who have gone this route.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 6 Days Ago Thread Starter

Also, mine is a 2012 TDI with Executive, whatever that means. It didn't come with an owner's manual, dealer wants $100 if I want one. Anyhow, what motor did it come with? I know it is a TDI V6 but some of the online tuners ask if it is the:

225HP version
240HP version
245HP Version

I didn't know the TDI had that many HP versions, I thought it was just 225hp and in 2014-2017 a 240hp version. The 2012 came with 225hp and 405tq correct?
post #3 of 17 Old 6 Days Ago
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2004 V6
Second Vehicle: Still looking
There is a sticker in the trunk/boot.
Put the options codes in this website you and you will get all the info about your car:
VW Group Option Codes Decoder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 5 Days Ago

I did my own tune and tcm update on my touareg and it made a huge difference. Picked up 3 mpg and 45 whp and 60 tq. Shifting is much better. Less adblue useage and throttle response is night and day.
post #5 of 17 Old 5 Days Ago
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
It may help to reset the gearbox.

Turn.the ignition on but do NOT start the car.

Press the accelerator pedal firmly to the floor and hold it there for a full 10 seconds.

Release the pedal, turn the ignition off and remove the key.

The car will now learn how you drive it and not previous owners.

This should be done whenever there is a change in driving circumstances.

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA & facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 & facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7 [Not available in "VW Atlas" North America!]
Read Wikipedia:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

T1 & T2 buyers MUST read:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Use Google or Bing to search by typing in: site:
followed by what you seek
post #6 of 17 Old 5 Days Ago
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2006 V8
Second Vehicle: 2013 V6 TDI
Online owners manual.
https://www.vwserviceandparts.com/di...owners-manual/

06 Touareg V8
13 Touareg Lux TDI
post #7 of 17 Old 5 Days Ago
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpatel930 View Post
I did my own tune and tcm update on my touareg and it made a huge difference. Picked up 3 mpg and 45 whp and 60 tq. Shifting is much better. Less adblue useage and throttle response is night and day.
Details? Dyno chart or how do you know you got those gains?
post #8 of 17 Old 4 Days Ago

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboABA View Post
Details? Dyno chart or how do you know you got those gains?
Here we go!

2014 Touareg TDI LUX
yrktreg TCM flash
AutoHold retrofit
A Few VAGCOM mods
post #9 of 17 Old 4 Days Ago

Garage
I've got yrktreg's TCM tune and it drastically changed the behavior. I bought mine with the fix already done so I don't know what it felt like pre fix. I can tell you yrktreg's tune is the bees knees.

2014 Touareg TDI LUX
yrktreg TCM flash
AutoHold retrofit
A Few VAGCOM mods
post #10 of 17 Old 4 Days Ago Thread Starter

Thank you all for all the helpful tips! Also the online owners manual. Yes, as soon as I get enough posts, I'm going to reach out for that TCM tune. Seems that combined with a Malone or Kerma tune will transform the vehicle. I just can't believe my fuel economy is so close to my old 4 runner. That is upsetting to me but perhaps the tune will change that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode