Gen 1 V6 TDI EGR mod - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 3 Old 12-11-2017 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2009 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: is jealous
Garage
Gen 1 V6 TDI EGR mod

Was posting a bit in Blocís thread about 2nd gen egr but figured I would start a new one. Thanks Bloc for me hijacking your thread a bit. Hope you have luck slowing down the build up.

For anyone that hasnít seen my other posts, I have been experimenting on blocking off the majority of the egr flow into the intake plenum of our 1st gen v6 tdi. Not that we had much build up in our intake @ 1/16Ē with 176kms but more so to keep some heat from entering the intake during egr request. Prior to experiment I was seeing what I call high egtís at low speed/load driving & specially at placing transmission in Park. Always well over 500degs in winter time is high in my opinion. Even with synthetic oil, I donít like shutting down a engine & have the turbo over 400 degs. My other diesels, less than 350 on our other TDI & less than 300 on my Cummins.

My 1st experiment was to remove the flapper disk in the throttle motor (10 min job) & put a thin blocker plate with small drill hole in middle of plate. I installed this at junction of egr & intake. Immediate P0401 CEL (insufficient egr flow). I figured as much but had to start somewhere. EGTís were a lot lower. Drilled out hole & drove time & time again and noticed we were able to go farther & farther before CEL would show up.

Well it has been almost 2 weeks & many miles & no CEL even in cold weather & +9 degís C. Havenít noticed any slower engine warm ups either. Iím at 13/32Ē hole size in block off plate. I now think itís a done deal because a CEL would have shown up by now. I had done a forced regen prior to starting this test. EGTís pre-turbo are much lower while diving & always right at 400 degs when stopping & placing trans in park, then it drops real fast to the 350 deg mark where we shut the engine down. This is better for the engine & turbo all around.

Fuel mileage is up for sure but with snow on & off, road conditions are constantly changing and outside temps all over the place -28 to +9, Iím not comfortable saying a firm amount. If I were to guess, approx 2mpg.

Will do a full software DPF/EGR delete somewhere down the road but until Dieselgate is settled here in Canada, I donít want to do something I canít undue in 10 mins. Itís that easy.

2009 Touareg Highline 3.0L V6 TDI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-11-2017
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2006 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascarmark View Post
Was posting a bit in Blocís thread about 2nd gen egr but figured I would start a new one. Thanks Bloc for me hijacking your thread a bit. Hope you have luck slowing down the build up.

For anyone that hasnít seen my other posts, I have been experimenting on blocking off the majority of the egr flow into the intake plenum of our 1st gen v6 tdi. Not that we had much build up in our intake @ 1/16Ē with 176kms but more so to keep some heat from entering the intake during egr request. Prior to experiment I was seeing what I call high egtís at low speed/load driving & specially at placing transmission in Park. Always well over 500degs in winter time is high in my opinion. Even with synthetic oil, I donít like shutting down a engine & have the turbo over 400 degs. My other diesels, less than 350 on our other TDI & less than 300 on my Cummins.

My 1st experiment was to remove the flapper disk in the throttle motor (10 min job) & put a thin blocker plate with small drill hole in middle of plate. I installed this at junction of egr & intake. Immediate P0401 CEL (insufficient egr flow). I figured as much but had to start somewhere. EGTís were a lot lower. Drilled out hole & drove time & time again and noticed we were able to go farther & farther before CEL would show up.

Well it has been almost 2 weeks & many miles & no CEL even in cold weather & +9 degís C. Havenít noticed any slower engine warm ups either. Iím at 13/32Ē hole size in block off plate. I now think itís a done deal because a CEL would have shown up by now. I had done a forced regen prior to starting this test. EGTís pre-turbo are much lower while diving & always right at 400 degs when stopping & placing trans in park, then it drops real fast to the 350 deg mark where we shut the engine down. This is better for the engine & turbo all around.

Fuel mileage is up for sure but with snow on & off, road conditions are constantly changing and outside temps all over the place -28 to +9, Iím not comfortable saying a firm amount. If I were to guess, approx 2mpg.

Will do a full software DPF/EGR delete somewhere down the road but until Dieselgate is settled here in Canada, I donít want to do something I canít undue in 10 mins. Itís that easy.

I have been running a 1/4 hole in a blanking plate for 6 months.
Every couple of weeks or so I get a CEL about it but I don't worry as is self clear next day or so then stays off until next cycle.

Regards
Drag
post #3 of 3 Old 12-11-2017 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2009 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: is jealous
Garage
Hey Drag,
Cool. Ours wouldnít much farther than 30kms with a 1/4Ē hole before it would throw a P0401 CEL. Might have have been something to do with the cold weather though ? Itís your summer time there, so with it hot, have you looked how much cooler your egtís are with your plate ?

2009 Touareg Highline 3.0L V6 TDI

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode