Gaging interest on ECU fix. I've had a lot of inquiries so... - Club Touareg Forums
 1Likes

post #1 of 131 Old 08-17-2018 Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: 2006 V8
Gaging interest on ECU fix. I've had a lot of inquiries so...

It would go back to the pre-fix software. Would obviously fix the missing torque that has been neutered in the fixed version.

I'm trying to decide which is best:
1)Keep the fixed software revision number. So at first glance a dealer would think it has been fixed. This which would be detectable to a dealership if they looked into it hard enough though because it would change the calibration number.

2)Keep the pre-fix software number. So a dealership would see it as a stock pre-fixed ECU and this would prevent your car getting TD1 flagged as possibly being tuned and voiding your warranty.
I think #2, but want more opinions, or I could do either as an option.

Either way should you have to take say a #2 ecu into the dealer for warranty work, and they would reflash it back to fixed version I would only charge for shipping to anyone that has already purchased this from me.

Now the caveat the ecu's are a pain to get out (see PDF and security bolts).
Unless you can be without your car for a few days I would have to first send you a loaner. You install the loaner ECU, and send me your ECU back for programming. I then send you your original ECU back. You install your original ECU back in, and then probably I will have you ship it directly to the next person in line.
This is a little different than what we are doing with the TCM's obviously.
This is due to the immobilizer that is in the ECU's that is tied to your car.

Thoughts everyone??

2014 Touareg TDi Executive Package
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 131 Old 08-17-2018 Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

ECU Removal...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ECU Removal.pdf (218.8 KB, 184 views)

post #3 of 131 Old 08-19-2018 Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

OK Can't change the first post, so i'll add an option #3 here.

After spending yesterday doing a bunch more research this is what I can do

Basically it would be a pre-fix but would keep the fixed CVN, scanable software version, and the current flash counter would not be touched.

So in essence this would look to the motherland as nothing more than a fixed ECU on all accounts.

I would also like to add, that I have no idea if the pre-fix software will pass an emissions sniff test for those of you unfortunate enough to have a state that does that...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 131 Old 08-19-2018

Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by yrktreg View Post
Thank you sir, it was great working with you...

I'm working on a stock ECU solution BTW
Hi,

I didn't want to hijack your TCM thread so I'll bring the reply here. My main concern is denial of warranty. How could I explain a pre-fix ECU when the dealer did the fix themselves prior to selling the vehicle to me? Especially if they dug in and saw evidence of ECU tampering (tool marks, non OEM security bolts, whatever.)

Clearly there is risk to warranty when doing certain aftermarket work. I understand that. I'm familiar with but certainly not an expert on Magnuson-Moss so I don't really know how much protection it gives in this sort of situation.

I guess my initial thought is, if I'm risking the warranty may as well go for the gusto with a Malone stage II. Change my mind.

On edit: You posted your new option as I was composing this. That does change the calculus for me.
post #5 of 131 Old 08-19-2018 Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomThumbs View Post
Hi,

I didn't want to hijack your TCM thread so I'll bring the reply here. My main concern is denial of warranty. How could I explain a pre-fix ECU when the dealer did the fix themselves prior to selling the vehicle to me? Especially if they dug in and saw evidence of ECU tampering (tool marks, non OEM security bolts, whatever.)

Clearly there is risk to warranty when doing certain aftermarket work. I understand that. I'm familiar with but certainly not an expert on Magnuson-Moss so I don't really know how much protection it gives in this sort of situation.

I guess my initial thought is, if I'm risking the warranty may as well go for the gusto with a Malone stage II. Change my mind.

On edit: You posted your new option as I was composing this. That does change the calculus for me.
You can purchase, or it would probably make more sense if I supplied the tamper proof bolts for re-installation.

I agree with you in that I am going to the extreme. Bigger turbo, and eliminating as much as I can to avoid future problems with it, Malone stage 30,000 tune, etc

Some people have asked about just going back to the old software to gain torque back.
I'm just trying to offer options and see what makes the most sense.

post #6 of 131 Old 08-19-2018

Touareg: 2015 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Garage
Count me in..

2015 Touareg TDI
post #7 of 131 Old 08-19-2018

Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by yrktreg View Post
OK Can't change the first post, so i'll add an option #3 here.

After spending yesterday doing a bunch more research this is what I can do

Basically it would be a pre-fix but would keep the fixed CVN, scanable software version, and the current flash counter would not be touched.

So in essence this would look to the motherland as nothing more than a fixed ECU on all accounts.

I would also like to add, that I have no idea if the pre-fix software will pass an emissions sniff test for those of you unfortunate enough to have a state that does that...
To achieve this stealth, does one have to send his original ECU for flashing and wait for the turnaround or will the system that you use with the TCM swap work?
post #8 of 131 Old 08-19-2018
The Moderator!

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: a bicycle
Did the T3 loose that much with the fix? My '10 doesn't seem any different other than weird shifting on cold start. I don't think I lost much if anything as far as power or economy.

2010 Alaska Grey/Anthracite V6 TDI- Lux,Tech, Air and Hitch
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

04 Offroad Grey V6, gone, but will never be forgotten.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 131 Old 08-19-2018
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2004 V8
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Garage
How is this not flagging a TD1 condition? I assumed its a flash counter on the chip itself, not a manual flash count update? Being that VW seems to be ok with tunes to an extent, and Audi flagging the VIN for being warranty blacklisted!

2014 | AUDI Q7 | V6TDI | CARRARAWHITE | S-LINE | PRESTIGE | AIR SUS | WARM PK |
| Cayenne TT Sways |
2009 | BMW 335D | V6TT | CRIMSONRED | DAKOTA BLACK INT | MSPORT | COLD PK | PREMIUM PK |

post #10 of 131 Old 08-19-2018 Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rackhenry View Post
Count me in..
Got you at the top of the list sir!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode