Excessive White Smoke on Cold Start - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 11 Old 02-03-2019 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Excessive White Smoke on Cold Start

2012 V6 Touareg TDI (170k miles) is producing an excessive amount of White Smoke following a Cold Start. It will produce copious amounts of white smoke for about 2 miles following a cold start. Once it has heated up to temperature the white smoke goes away. Could this be attributed to an EGR Cooler leak? I am not seeing any indication of exhaust gases in the coolant (still bright pink) or coolant in the oil, so I don't think that its a head gasket. No leakage is evident underneath where we park. We have only noticed it happening for a few days but are hesitant to drive it if it may cause the engine to grenade. I've also heard that dirty injectors might cause white smoke, but I don't know a lot about how that could occur or why it would only do it on cold starts.

I know it's not related to the DPF as it was deleted by the previous owner.

No Faults or Engine Codes when scanned with VCDS.

2012 Touareg TDI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-03-2019
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2015 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: too many to list
Garage
If your coolant level is fine, then the white smoke is a normal byproduct of a cold engine and the DPF system. It converts CO2 to water (and other things).

'81 Rabbit S 16vG60 | '01 A6 2.7TT 6MT | '15 Touareg TDI Exec R-line

- OEM air suspension retrofit
- OEM parking heater retrofit
- OEM Easy-Open hatch retrofit
- OEM ambient lighting retrofit
post #3 of 11 Old 02-04-2019
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
You haven't actually said if your car is using coolant which it would be if the EGR has a leak inside it.

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA & facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 & facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7 [Not available in "VW Atlas" North America!]
Read Wikipedia:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

T1 & T2 buyers MUST read:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Use Google or Bing to search by typing in: site:
followed by what you seek
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 02-04-2019 Thread Starter

In retrospect it has always used a slight amount of coolant, it is so infrequent and coincides with winter so I always have thought it was related to the cold weather. I just added again yesterday and the previous time was last winter. It has also always had white smoke on startup, but usually only for a few seconds (less than 30 seconds); not 5 minutes or so like it is now. I will attempt to acertain a loss rate.

My greater concern is that I have heard that some engines have been destroyed by a leaking EGR cooler and whether or not I should even be driving it if this is the problem. So I was trying to determine if my symptoms matched what others have experienced with this EGR cooler failure to determine the drivability. If it doesn't match up then my plan would be to continue driving it to either determine that it is a coolant leak that has increased in scope or not. If the coolant loss rate is unchanged then I think I'm heading toward looking at the injectors.

2012 Touareg TDI
post #5 of 11 Old 02-04-2019
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
And you are using the correct VW coolant for topping up, not just tap water which is a no-no?

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA & facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 & facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7 [Not available in "VW Atlas" North America!]
Read Wikipedia:

T1 & T2 buyers MUST read:

Use Google or Bing to search by typing in: site:
followed by what you seek
post #6 of 11 Old 02-04-2019 Thread Starter

Yes, I think the current spec is G13, whatever it is now it's the pink stuff. 50/50 with distilled water

2012 Touareg TDI
post #7 of 11 Old 02-04-2019

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Just a little trick that may or may not work, but worth a try.

The coolant level on my Phaeton was going down very slowly but there was not a clear indication of a leak.
I decided to lubricate the O-ring at the expansion tank cap with silicone grease. Since then, the coolant level remained at the top mark.
With regards to mixing G13 with distilled water, I was advised at my local VW dealer not to mix it for topping up.

Gabriel
post #8 of 11 Old 02-08-2019 Thread Starter

Just to follow up with what I've found so far.

I had lost about 2L of coolant over about ~50 miles. As a result I was suspecting that the EGR cooler was leaking as this seemed excessive for a head gasket leak and I wasn't seeing any oil in the coolant or evidence of coolant in the oil. I performed a teardown of the upper engine components (its insane how many things they were able to cram and weave in between the heads) and removed the EGR cooler and found ~1/2 cup of water in the exhaust side of the cooler.

So I'll be ordering the parts to replace the EGR cooler (cooler, gaskets, orings, etc). Is there anything else I should consider doing since I have the engine torn down this far? Is there any significant history of the auxiliary EGR cooler failing?

2012 Touareg TDI
post #9 of 11 Old 02-08-2019
Touareg Guru

Touareg: 2006 V8
Second Vehicle: 2004 V6
Garage
Glad you found the problem.

At 170,000 miles, I would consider replacing anything that you have easy access to that is a normal wear item. Hopefully the TDI guys can give you a good list.

Just as an example, when you do the V8 AXQ timing belt, you go ahead and put in a new water pump and thermostat, since they are located behind the timing belt and one sticks and the other leaks.

Come on TDI guys, help us out. What has the OP got access to that you would just replace on 2012 V6 TDI?
post #10 of 11 Old 02-08-2019 Thread Starter

The only things I can see that I have special or easier access to right now are: Lower Intake Manifolds, Oil Cooler, and the Auxiliary EGR Cooler. I wouldn't really consider any of those items to be normal wear items (never really thought I would have to replace an EGR Cooler either though).
Luckily, I don't see any evidence of coolant or oil leaks on top of the engine (knock on wood).
I appreciate everyone's help and advice. I'm going to try the silicone grease trick on the reservoir cap after I get it put back together and verify the problem is resolved.

2012 Touareg TDI

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode