Engine Swap 04 v10 - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 11 Old 10-27-2018 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2004 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Engine Swap 04 v10

I'm fairly sure I've have lining damage in my #10 cylinder (misfire, blow-by, poor milage, bad compression that improves with a little oil pored in the cylinder and retested). I'll know for certain when I get a camera small enough to look into the cylinder.

What's the risk of driving it if that's the case? It's been sitting mostly since symptoms have developed but would like to drive it if it wouldn't damage it more.

I'm starting to look for repair options and costs. I can get a new engine block for about what I paid for the car, or look for a used engine. I know the risks of a used engine - how was it maintenance in it's former life??? Would I need to stick with a 2004 engine or could I get an 2006-07? I'm under the understanding the plasma lining process was better for the later years.

What are your thoughts on how to proceed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-27-2018

Touareg: 2004 V8
Older VW engines

I can only give you a general answer. The good news is its not gas, so as the compression goes down heat goes down and less likely that valves could burn. Depends on the damage if parts of the pistons/rings break off and could could get in the rest of the intake side. Then there are the turbos that could inhale some of the partials. The cylinder could just go along for the ride for miles maybe. Usually if a cylinder losses compression head gasket is pretty tired also. Just a loose thread that will unravel. If your going to rebuild it fix it sooner the better.

Clint
Portland, Or
2004 4.2 Touareg 192000 miles bought mainly to tow
Travel Trailer
post #3 of 11 Old 10-27-2018
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
I wouldn't drive that car at all until I'd found another engine, but then again I wouldn't bother wasting another penny on it.

That car will be a time and money pit - so I suggest you just store it and break it for parts to get some cash back.

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA & facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 & facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7 [Not available in "VW Atlas" North America!]
Read Wikipedia:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

T1 & T2 buyers MUST read:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Use Google or Bing to search by typing in: site:
followed by what you seek
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 10-27-2018

I like money pits

Well if you decide to sell it let me know.

Clint
Portland, Or
Travel Trailer
post #5 of 11 Old 10-27-2018

Hows the transmission on the V10

Is the transmission good on the v10?

Clint
Portland, Or
Travel Trailer
post #6 of 11 Old 10-27-2018 Thread Starter

Nooby - Thank you for that assessment. It’s one of those projects that, not having done it, one has no real feel for the time and frustration involved. After sleeping on it, I just don’t think I wan to commit ALL my spare time for months I to an project of that scope. Honestly, it would be a little over my head.
post #7 of 11 Old 10-27-2018 Thread Starter

SPS - I have had no problem with the transmission other than a slight hard shift while being very easy on the throttle, and that after the engine has started presenting its trouble. Since I won’t likely do the engine swap myself, I will look at selling it. Better than leaving at as a garage decoration!
post #8 of 11 Old 10-27-2018
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
If you type "frex V10 engine rebuild" into Google you should see the most comprehensive V10 engine rebuild thread ever posted on this site.

When I posted previously it was this thread I had in mind hence my gloomy approach to your issue!

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA & facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 & facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7 [Not available in "VW Atlas" North America!]
Read Wikipedia:

T1 & T2 buyers MUST read:

Use Google or Bing to search by typing in: site:
followed by what you seek
post #9 of 11 Old 10-27-2018 Thread Starter

I've gotten about half way through that post. It's a great write up and part of what convinced me I would be in a little over my head. I'll still try and get a scope down into the cylinder before I make any final decisions.
post #10 of 11 Old 10-27-2018

Here is the problem as I see it. All cars today have gotten very difficult to work on simple Ford 150 is case in point. Plastic is ever where and just putting your hand on a 8 year old radiator can be expensive. Then there is the electronics! Some day someone is going to offer a Non Kessey vehicle and sales will go through the roof! Electronics are expensive to diagnosis and mainly dealers are the only ones with the knowledge or scan tools. We are lucky with Vag Com but that is limited on the very new cars. Audis fiber optics is going to be great for the dealers. This leaves used cars in a bad position they are out of warranty and just as expensive to fix as new ones. $5000 repair for a $60,000 to $80,000 vehicle sounds ok new, but when its blue book is close to $5000 grand its a bit different. Now the rub, folks with used high end vehicles would like to get something for them. Truth is, even if you discount your labor, parts can be easy $1500-2000 for these new more than 4 speed auto trans. The V10 is commanding much greater prices than the 6 or 8. Yet the potential for huge repairs is greater. V10s are still for sale after a month, so are the less costly 6 and 8s. Its a small market for the V10s and even smaller group of people that can take on these cars and come out even. If they decide to sell, after repairs are made, financial reward is not there. You have to want to keep the vehicle to make it a good investment. This web site has been a great help to me to bring my 2004 Treg back to reliable driving condition.
So thanks to all of those that posted there problems and ones offering advice.
Clint

Clint
Portland, Or
Travel Trailer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode