Big Problem 2007 VW Touareg V10 Loosing coolant - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 8 Old 02-20-2018 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2007 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Thumbs down Big Problem 2007 VW Touareg V10 Loosing coolant

Hello everyone,
When I bought my Touareg then after a month the low coolant level light came on. When I topped off the coolant then I got the light again after about 3 weeks and so on until the big problem came. 3 weeks ago I got the light again and when I checked the coolant reservoir and topped it off again, after driving for a bit (1hour) the light came on again and when I checked the level it was completely empty, so I knew something is very wrong. When I checked the oil level aswell it was way over the max. line when the engine has been sitting overnight like 5cm over, but when you start it up it goes like 2-3cm over the max. line. And I changed the oil few days before the problem with the VW reccomended Castrol brand. So I took it to the dealer and they checked the headgasket firstly, but told that it was fine. But they thoguht that the problem was with the EGR cooler (1200€), then they wanted to change the Oil intercooler (400€), then they chnaged 10 glow plugs (400€) aswell because I had a check engine light, and more things aswell so in total it was somewhere about 2300€. When I went to pick up the vehcicle I asked them about the high oil level and they sayd that the oil level was normal only like a few mm over the max. line, so I got suspicious and when I got home I went and bought new oil (Castrol 13L) and filter to do a oil change for a second time (the oil was only like 1 week old) because I had a suspicion that the coolant is mixed with the oil. And when I went ahed to take the drain bolt out I noticed that the dealer has chaged the drain bolt because last time when I did it 3weeks ago the crush washer was made of copper but this time it was a different one. One thing aswell the dealer didnt say that they had done something with the oil. So when I took out the drain bolt, then in theory coolant should come out first because oil is lighter. And behold coolant came out at first, but only a little, so I got thinking that the dealer probably drained some of the coolant out thats why the drain bolt was different. But in that case they should of told me that you have coolant in oil, but noone give a damn **** and they were probably thinking that lets let that customer run hes car until the engine is toast and then we can have more work and work=money for those bastards. Oh and when I measured out how much oil came out then it was 18L !!. And again the dealer sayd, ''Oh its only a few mm over the max. line''. And there was alot of other things they did wrong aswell for example. They had cracked the belly pan then there was 2 bolts missing what were holding the belly pan, probably because the ones that were missing were hard to get to and so on.
So everyone just be aware that there are these kinds of dealers out there. And If they dont fix the problem then I will ruin their reputation if it isnt already, because I belive im not the only one with this problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-20-2018
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: Still looking
I would recommend going back to the dealer and asking to see the service manager and then when you meet him tell him you wish to talk to the dealer principal manager. No I do not expect you to get any acknowledgement but it might just be a case of shoddy work shop supervision that neither of the two persons mentioned know about. Best case they acknowledge the issues worst case they completely ignore you or even refuse to meet you. I am not a confrontational guy but take it from me doing the above will make you fell much better - kind of like purging the evil type of thing.

Oh yes . .been there done this . . and no I got no recognition of the state of affairs hence I now use a third party for service.

Previous: MY13 V6 TDI 4Motion,
BMW X3 3.0d, Subaru outback and the odd Alpha.
Now looking at options.
post #3 of 8 Old 02-20-2018
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2005 V8
Second Vehicle: too many to list
Garage
I agree with Toiler. You need to talk to the general manager and explain what you discovered. If you don't you will feel tormented and abused the rest of your life.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current Fleet:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 02-22-2018 Thread Starter

Okey I went back to the dealer told everything to them what I found. After that they took the car in for a second time to do a fast coolant pressure test. After that they told me that the problem is probably with the water pump seal letting the coolant mix with the oil. I looked up the part online and it is just 30 and they told that the work will be about 4 hours. But the thing is that lets say that they replace the water pump and the problem goes away then in total I think it will be about 300-400. But the EGR cooler and Oil intercooler were changed for need then (2300 down the drain), but why didnt they tell me that the water pump might be the problem also in the first place (because its the cheapest repair). But insted they didnt even tell me about the water pump. And sayd that the problem is for sure with the EGR cooler and oil intercooler. They should give my money back because of that. And they even charged me about 50 for investigating what the problem is.
Not happy at all right now. Oh and I talked to the boss over there and turned out he was a guy who I knew already.
post #5 of 8 Old 02-22-2018
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2005 V8
Second Vehicle: too many to list
Garage
I would certainly work something out where they make good to you the extra cost by not replacing the water pump when they had it apart. Maybe charge you just for parts, but they eat the labor. If not, a phone call to VW of Europe would be in order to plead your case. Also contact the local newspaper in the city where this dealer is located and explain your issues.

Current Fleet:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
post #6 of 8 Old 02-22-2018

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
I would like to know how a water pump seal leaking can contaminate oil?

Does the V10 have some kind of fancy water pump?

Otherwise sounds like a bunch of BS.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
post #7 of 8 Old 02-23-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFW View Post

Well at first when I heard that I thought it was BS aswell, but when I read some of the issues with water pumps on a touareg . Then other people have had it too that the coolant mixes with oil. The water pump is driven by the timing gear I think so it is not the usual way when a belt drives it. So maybe yes there is oil there on the gears. First of all when they will replace the water pump I will say that I will only pay for the water pump price and the labor is out of your pocket not my problem that you didnt tell me that in the first place that the water pump might be the issue aswell. Instead you started from the expensive end. Then I want them to do the oil change for free, because I did one just in case after I got my car back when they told me that it is fixed. And now it is probably contaminated again.
And then I will start to talk about the EGR cooler and oil intercooler, because that was done and the problem didnt go away. Ideally I would like my money back, but well see. The car will be in for repair probably next week so then I will update here aswell.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-21-2018
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2004 V8
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFW View Post

Yes the water pump is internal in the engine block, you must put the front carrier in service position, remove the crank damper then remove the cover to the water pump, then you have access to the shaft driven water pump.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode