3.0 TDI tunes, power upgrades and turbo upgrades - Page 47 - Club Touareg Forums
 7Likes

post #461 of 466 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: 2006 V8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagneauxm View Post
I know this is a different topic, but I have tried posting several times and messaging you about the trans tune. Please let me know what I need to do to get it done.
Mike
Sorry If I missed it Mike,
I looked for a PM from you but didn't see one.

Sending you one now...

2014 Touareg TDi Executive Package
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #462 of 466 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by yrktreg View Post
Gotcha, that actually make perfect sense.

The one i'm working on should fit the bill with both more low end torque and high end hp.

You need to meet up with 04_STI sometime and see how his trans shifts compared to yours.
This is also a crucial piece of the puzzle IMHO in getting it shifting correctly again...

I'm anxious to see what you come up with. I think if I went the 2872 I'd probably have it detuned for a smoother curve rather than peak numbers. 422 HP is awesome (and would require fuel pump upgrade) but if its not predictable (read: drive-able) what's the point.?

One thing I'm noticing with the dyno curves on most of the VW/Audi TDIs is a narrow torque peak between 2,000 and 3,000 RPM. I would think the desired torque range would be 1600 to 4000 for a production vehicle... sort of curious on why they look the way they do. My best guess is that the compressor geometry does this (or perhaps they only run them in the highest efficiency islands).

Trans tune wise, I'll have to look into that at some point. I don't quite understand how much authority and control the trans controller has over the engine. Is it possible to tune the trans after an engine tune? I imagine both need to be done to re-adjust the feel of the experience and for smoothness etc... I would think raising the shift points with a bigger turbo would move the engine profile back toward where the gas trans tune is, while the original TDI tune may keep me out of the higher RPM where peak HP with a turbo upgrade would be. Do I have this right? Or does the trans somehow sense adjust its shift point based on torque or change of RPMs?
post #463 of 466 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Touareg: 2011 V6 TDI
Quote:
Sorry If I missed it Mike,
I looked for a PM from you but didn't see one.

Sending you one now...
It seems that it is not letting me send message back. Can you message me a contact phone? I'll contact you right away to get the trans tune done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #464 of 466 Old 2 Weeks Ago
Touareg Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagneauxm View Post
It seems that it is not letting me send message back. Can you message me a contact phone? I'll contact you right away to get the trans tune done.
Well shoot, yes i'll send you a message

post #465 of 466 Old 2 Weeks Ago
Touareg Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTDI View Post
I'm anxious to see what you come up with. I think if I went the 2872 I'd probably have it detuned for a smoother curve rather than peak numbers. 422 HP is awesome (and would require fuel pump upgrade) but if its not predictable (read: drive-able) what's the point.?

One thing I'm noticing with the dyno curves on most of the VW/Audi TDIs is a narrow torque peak between 2,000 and 3,000 RPM. I would think the desired torque range would be 1600 to 4000 for a production vehicle... sort of curious on why they look the way they do. My best guess is that the compressor geometry does this (or perhaps they only run them in the highest efficiency islands).

Trans tune wise, I'll have to look into that at some point. I don't quite understand how much authority and control the trans controller has over the engine. Is it possible to tune the trans after an engine tune? I imagine both need to be done to re-adjust the feel of the experience and for smoothness etc... I would think raising the shift points with a bigger turbo would move the engine profile back toward where the gas trans tune is, while the original TDI tune may keep me out of the higher RPM where peak HP with a turbo upgrade would be. Do I have this right? Or does the trans somehow sense adjust its shift point based on torque or change of RPMs?
The trans controls your entire driving experience. The engine sends the torque it is making to the trans control module. It then decides if it needs to shift or hold gears etc, based on that and the desired torque level. The tune I do now is the best of both worlds as it takes advantage of the diesels low end torque, but when you go WOT it will hold the gears to redline to take full advantage of the bigger turbo. With that being said i'm already working on a stage 1 TCM tune for vehicles with bigger turbos.

post #466 of 466 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Quote:
The trans controls your entire driving experience. The engine sends the torque it is making to the trans control module. It then decides if it needs to shift or hold gears etc, based on that and the desired torque level. The tune I do now is the best of both worlds as it takes advantage of the diesels low end torque, but when you go WOT it will hold the gears to redline to take full advantage of the bigger turbo. With that being said i'm already working on a stage 1 TCM tune for vehicles with bigger turbos.

I'm open to the idea of a trans tune especially if I do an engine tune and turbo upgrade (not in that order).

What puzzles me is the behavior of the trans. Truthfully I don't mind the current trans tune overall. But I've never driven a Touareg TDI pre-fix. My only real complaints are the hesitation of downshifting in D, the trans controller doesn't seem to know that the TDI has no go before 1900 RPM. I find my self often accelerating at part throttle to keep my shift points somewhat lazy so it up shifts at 3,000 RPM, vs mashing the pedal and hitting the kickdown switch and then being down shifted to 3500 RPM or so where I'm out of the torque band.

In S mode all is pretty good for me.

The only exception is in M mode it shifts about 500 RPM earlier than I want it to. Often I want to go right up to yelllow/redline before a turn and then let off, but it gets scared and upshifts (which I didn't command it to). So this would be one behavior I'd like fixed. The other behavior I'd love fixed (but probably can't) would be to just hold the downshift button and have it auto downshift at the next earliest opportunity. As it is now I feel like I'm playing a playstation game and have to keep tapping the down shift button until I'm finally in a "safe" downshift range. I'd love it if I could put the downshift request in, continue driving and braking and then it downshifts when the RPMs are safe, of course an upshift would cancel the downshift request. Or maybe it just down shifts no questions asked.Then I can learn to not over rev the engine and pick the proper downshift speeds (right now I still haven't figured them all out, despite having sport driven manual cars almost my entire life).

So with that said.... does your tune fix any of these issues?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in