2Likes

post #21 of 246 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2004 V8
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboABA View Post
I'm eager to see your future setup since you appear to think that one of the very top global automotive giants with all its resources managed to get the turbo design so wrong on our vehicles.

You're sorely mistaken if you believe for a moment, that VW chose the turbo for the Touareg based on pure power output to keep up with other powerful SUV's.

There are options, but I haven't seen anyone throw them on in NA.

https://www.darksidedevelopments.co....k-housing.html

2014 | AUDI Q7 | V6TDI | CARRARAWHITE | S-LINE | PRESTIGE | AIR SUS | WARM PK |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Cayenne TT Sways |
2009 | BMW 335D | V6TT | CRIMSONRED | DAKOTA BLACK INT | MSPORT | COLD PK | PREMIUM PK |

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 246 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Quote:
Stock snail? What supporting mods?
guess you cant see my signature

2012 Highline Touareg v6 TDI - 8spd - Silver - Weathertechs - Buzzken Downpipe/Dpf/Scr Pipes - Hybrid 2260 - 4 Bar Map - JR Auto Performance/Buzzken Stage 3 Tune - 31 BFG k02s - Cayenne Trans Coding - Gutted/Painted Muffler - Full Led Swap - EGR Cooler Delete
post #23 of 246 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdimark69 View Post
Quote:
Stock snail? What supporting mods?
guess you cant see my signature
Negative
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190327-174849_Chrome_1553723376537.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	463.9 KB
ID:	222059  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 246 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Touareg Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Built4Sin View Post
You're sorely mistaken if you believe for a moment, that VW chose the turbo for the Touareg based on pure power output to keep up with other powerful SUVs
Not once did I say that. NTDI wants a broader TQ curve, with less lag and more top end.... What I said was that VW did the best it could to find a happy medium... Of course you can get way more power... Or faster spool, or whatever ... But you will sacrifice other things

Or you can do it all if the budget and resources are unlimited. Add hybrid systems and other assist systems and you'll end up with a rocket.

No magical turbo or wheel or housing design will give you all that by itself.
post #25 of 246 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Quote:
Negative
2012 Highline Touareg v6 TDI - 8spd - Silver - Weathertechs - Buzzken Downpipe/Dpf/Scr Pipes - Hybrid 2260 - 4 Bar Map - JR Auto Performance/Buzzken Stage 3 Tune - 31 BFG k02s - Cayenne Trans Coding - Gutted/Painted Muffler - Full Led Swap - EGR Cooler Delete

post #26 of 246 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Disagree if I’m only looking for 30-50 hp an increase in compressor airflow of 10% gets me the 30 HP . An increase in thermodynamic efficiency gets me lower compressor exit temperatures and less air density at a given turbine inlet state condition (vane angle, EGT, mass flow). And a better aerodynamic would get me a slightly wider torque curve. A hybrid with the right compressor WOULD probably get me close. But a correctly done compressor wheel would get me what I’m after I think.

If I wanted more I’d have to do as you suggest and get into some heavier mods and tuning. Not sure I need or want 400 hp though. I’d love to see a dyno graph of the Audi A5 or Audi A7 putting out 400 hp from a 3.0TDI
post #27 of 246 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Touareg Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdimark69 View Post
Since you were "giving me lip" about not seeing that, allow me to return the favor first to keep everything in balance.

Most of that crap I wouldn't consider a supporting mod.... like LEDs or mats, but they probably do add a lot of power.

Now that the jokes are out of the way, let me ask.
- the Hybrid snail..... was this just to gain flow higher in the powerband, or did it shift the power curve into earlier RPMs to satisfy some of the dreamers around here? I would assume it's the first and not the latter, but I'm not the one with the mods.
- 4 bar map - I can only suspect that the stock one is 3 bar without looking it up, so this leads me to also suspect that you're running elevated boost levels. What kind of boost are you running to extract the additional power?
- the downstream flow restriction reductions are self explanatory so I won't ask anything about those.
post #28 of 246 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Touareg Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTDI View Post
Disagree if Im only looking for 30-50 hp an increase in compressor airflow of 10% gets me the 30 HP . An increase in thermodynamic efficiency gets me lower compressor exit temperatures and less air density at a given turbine inlet state condition (vane angle, EGT, mass flow). And a better aerodynamic would get me a slightly wider torque curve. A hybrid with the right compressor WOULD probably get me close. But a correctly done compressor wheel would get me what Im after I think.

If I wanted more Id have to do as you suggest and get into some heavier mods and tuning. Not sure I need or want 400 hp though. Id love to see a dyno graph of the Audi A5 or Audi A7 putting out 400 hp from a 3.0TDI
Once again, I never said that you can't get more.
I'm simply saying that you can't get more without sacrificing anything. Did you not say in earlier posts that you want to WIDEN the TQ curve to kick in sooner and last longer?

Anyways, let's move along and discuss these dreams if we are going to attempt to help anyone do anything around here.

What are the limiting factors that dictate the alleged ~300hp crank output?
Turbo Size (aka airflow) seems to certainly be #1
So it the bottleneck on the HOT or on the COLD side?
Next, I believe the injection becomes the bottleneck. Is this due to injector cycle or system pressure?

I believe someone mentioned an available pump upgrade..... so are we saying that the existing 2000 bar pressure is insufficient?
post #29 of 246 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Touareg Mechanic

Cool Sure you can have more..... as long as you give something up.

post #30 of 246 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Touareg Mechanic

Since we are throwing Darkside option around....

Built4Sin likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode