2016 TDI - NOx Sensor Bad at 2,900 Miles - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 10 Old 02-16-2019 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
2016 TDI - NOx Sensor Bad at 2,900 Miles

Not a major drama, but my 2016 TDI with all of 2,900 miles on it is in the shop waiting for the dealer to get a new NOx sensor in. I just thought that I would mention it here in case anyone else encounters the same problem.

Last week, the Check Engine Light came on and stayed on for over a day, so I stopped by the dealer to have them read the error code. P229F00: NOx Sensor Circuit Range/Performance Bank 1 Sensor.

I made an appointment to come back this week so they could diagnose the problem.

The CEL was no longer illuminated when I left the dealership.

The CEL did come on again this week. Both times that it came on was after the car had been parked in an open air parking structure during the day for about 8 hours with the temperature below 40 F. Again, the CEL stayed on for the entire drive home and again the next morning even though the car had been parked in an enclosed, insulated garage overnight. It was still on when I dropped the car off at the dealership.

The diagnosis process yesterday reportedly did not turn up any other problems, no ground or short problems, etc. so yesterday afternoon the dealer ordered a replacement sensor as a Warranty item.

They expected the sensor today, but it didn't arrive so I am still driving a loaner Tiguan for the weekend.

A question: the service rep said up front that I would be billed 0.5 - 1.0 hour for the diagnosis work even if they discovered a warranty problem, which they did. Is this normal for VW these days? I have the new car warranty, plus VW 10 year, 100K Bumper to Bumper extended warranty, plus of course the TDI extended warranty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-16-2019
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2004 V8
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Garage
The TDI extended warranty covers it. I just had NOX sensor 2 replaced in mine along with the DEF dosing valve. If they're trying to charge you, mention you know the TDI emissions warranty covers it and you're not paying a dime. If they hassle you, have them call the regional rep; and then find another dealer. Since that dealer is going to be nothing but trouble, if they can't complete the simple tasks.

2014 | AUDI Q7 | V6TDI | CARRARAWHITE | S-LINE | PRESTIGE | AIR SUS | WARM PK |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Cayenne TT Sways |
2009 | BMW 335D | V6TT | CRIMSONRED | DAKOTA BLACK INT | MSPORT | COLD PK | PREMIUM PK |

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old 02-16-2019 Thread Starter

To be very clear, they are only charging me for the initial diagnosis, not the replacement work or parts. It is that diagnosis activity that I am asking about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 02-16-2019
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
There should be no charge whatsoever!

The whole bill for both diagnosis and fix should be paid by VW under their warranty.

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA & facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 & facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7 [Not available in "VW Atlas" North America!]
Read Wikipedia:

T1 & T2 buyers MUST read:

Use Google or Bing to search by typing in: site:
followed by what you seek
post #5 of 10 Old 02-16-2019
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2004 V8
Garage
Exactly as Nooby says. Its a new car, and its under warranty. Why would you pay for any failures, diagnostics, loaners, anything that has to do with a failure of the car! lol That's exactly what the warranties are for!

2014 | AUDI Q7 | V6TDI | CARRARAWHITE | S-LINE | PRESTIGE | AIR SUS | WARM PK |
| Cayenne TT Sways |
2009 | BMW 335D | V6TT | CRIMSONRED | DAKOTA BLACK INT | MSPORT | COLD PK | PREMIUM PK |

post #6 of 10 Old 02-16-2019
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2008 R5 TDI
The charge for the diagnosis could be possibly justifiable if it would have uncovered some "user error" or a fault of a wear item that's not covered under warranty. But if the repair job itself is definitely covered under warranty, then there's no legal grounds for them to charge, as they essentially did the diagnosis for themselves, not for you, so *they* know what they have to replace to fulfill their warranty obligation.
post #7 of 10 Old 02-16-2019
Touareg Guru

Touareg: 2006 V8
Second Vehicle: 2004 V6
Garage
Call the VW 800 number and ask what the charge for warranty work is. The answer should be factory defects are covered. Get a reference number. Call back later from the dealer and ask the second rep why you are being charged for a faulty sensor at 3000 miles.
post #8 of 10 Old 02-17-2019
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
He's not being asked to pay for the sensor, just the diagnosis which we all agree is plain wrong.

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA & facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 & facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7 [Not available in "VW Atlas" North America!]
Read Wikipedia:

T1 & T2 buyers MUST read:

Use Google or Bing to search by typing in: site:
followed by what you seek
post #9 of 10 Old 02-18-2019 Thread Starter

I picked up the repaired car today and all seems fine.

Today, when I asked whether I owed anything, I was told: "No, it is a warranty item, VW pays for everything."

There was no mention made of their previous statement regarding a diagnosis charge.

For those of you out of warranty, they are billing VW $603.02. The sensor itself was $515.83.

The actual work required R&R on the center exhaust pipe and the center heat shield.
post #10 of 10 Old 02-19-2019
Touareg Guru

Touareg: 2006 V8
Second Vehicle: 2004 V6
Garage
Glad to hear that it all worked out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode