Club Touareg Forum banner

2009 TDI - Oil Temp Gauge

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  russelli 
#1 ·
So i'm not sure if this is normal or not. I hit a deer about 2 weeks ago. After getting the car back and it still having issues, they were at it again. This time they sent it to the VW dealership to fix.

It is now driving like it should though I think they didn't fix the very small leak at the fuel cooler. I'll look at it tomorrow in the light.

What I noticed though tonight, and it could just be that i'm so paranoid and want it all back to normal, is the oil temp gauage bouncing a little.

If I recall, the coolant temp gets up to the 200 (or maybe it was 210) mark (basically 12 o'clock) and it takes a little while which is understandable. The oil temp gauge takes quite a bit longer to warm up. It has always been this way.

Now if i'm sitting at a drive through or idle for a little bit (train or something), and it is below zero, the coolant temp will drop a little. This has been since day one.

What I noticed driving it tonight (and again, i'm watching everything now), the oil temp gauge dropped about 25% from where it normally stands when it gets to temp. It then slowly climbed back up. It did this a few times. I pulled it into the garage as I just got home and some coolant fan was winding down (took like 15 seconds to be silent) which was odd. I'm not sure if I have ever heard that. I drove it 4 times since I picked it up earlier today but this is the first time I noticed anything.

Is this normal for the oil temp gauge when it is cold? It is -5 degrees right now.

The deer hit the drivers side, front of the car. Basically just the lower half. The driver's side intercooler and related hoses were replaced (and fog light).

See less See more
#3 ·
russelli

US CAR IN CANADA
I have watched mine closely for about a year as I had a false oil pressure alarm when first purchased Feb 2014.
In the extreme cold coolant reaches constant temp at 12-o-clock position
200-ish after about 12-15 miles. ONLY then does oil start to show any temp.
Slowly rises and will drop if foot off peddle or stopped at idle.
After it stabilizes at 10-o-clock position (215-220) it will still drop in above condition for about 10-15 minutes. This I believe to be because the whole engine is not yet fully heated (block etc ) and may be acting as a heat sink.
After everything is warm, say 30-40 miles gauges are stable under all driving conditions

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.