2008 V6 TDI locked in Park. - Club Touareg Forums
 1Likes

post #1 of 13 Old 04-15-2018 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2008 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
2008 V6 TDI locked in Park.

Help. I'm stuck at home. Started the Tregg and a 'System fault Workshop' warning came up on the MFD. Glow plug symbol flashing and going ding-ding. Flat battery for key warning came up. Diff lock symbol came up. Can't get the transmission to get out of Park. Had an RAA serviceman here for 1.5 hours trying and analyzing everything. No codes come up. I had no brake lights, which he thought may have sent an error code to the brake system. Replaced fuse. Still no brake lights. Disconnected the battery and re-connected in the hope it might reset everything. No luck. No codes on VAG.
So, it now appears if I can't get it out of Park and into neutral to at least roll it out of my driveway for an all-up lift to a workshop, it's going to require a couple of dollies to shift it out. THAT will be expensive.
I'm hoping 1) somebody may have encountered a similar problem and has an idea of what my problem is and/or, if not, 2) knows how to get it out of Park.
Interesting that it will start WITHOUT the foot on the brake.
Thanks in advance people.

You don't stop having fun because you get old. You get old when you stop having fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-15-2018
Touareg Addict

Second Vehicle: Can't afford one
This will get you going
https://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f4...rk-247498.html

You could have done a search yourself very simply by selecting (under the CT banner above),
TOOLS > Advanced Search > Search by Keyword > ie. ("Stuck in park")

This would have brought up numerous treads with similar problems as you are having and many solutions.

Anyhow, this problem has occured many times.

Good luck!

TonyB

MY08 V6TDi, Atacama Grey, Air Suspension, Bi-Xenons
Enhancements: OEM Paddle Shifters, OEM Tow Pack, OEM LED load Module, Red Arc Tow Pro Elite Brake Controller, Icom IC-440 UHF, 6 Spot 17Z Front Brakes, FM100 Aux fuel filter + water alarm, Pro Vent catch can, 20" Road Tyres + spare, 17" A/T Off-road tyres + 2 x full size spares, AG Custom alloy underbody front+ centre+rear alloy protection plates.

MY08 V6TDi, Campanella White
My first Touareg love affair, found a new home locally.
post #3 of 13 Old 04-15-2018
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
If you can't get it out of park, you will need FOUR dollies, one for each wheel, and any good towing company should have them anyway in order to get your car safely up onto a flat bed for a trip to the workshop.

However, something is ringing a bell about a failed brake light switch so I'll have a look elsewhere for the thread I'm thinking of.
Touareg MNE likes this.

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA & facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 & facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7 [Not available in "VW Atlas" North America!]
Read Wikipedia:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

T1 & T2 buyers MUST read:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Use Google or Bing to search by typing in: site:
followed by what you seek
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 04-15-2018 Thread Starter

Thanks mate. Going to lift carpets and check for corroded wiring in driver side floor well. Cheers.

You don't stop having fun because you get old. You get old when you stop having fun.
post #5 of 13 Old 04-15-2018 Thread Starter

Update. I finally started on the 'lift the carpet' project. First step was to remove my floor mat. Hoo boy! One absolutely saturated, soaking wet piece of carpet. I had this problem about 12-18 months ago with no undue electrical issues - just sloshing water after a day of heavy rain. I cleaned out the drain ends then, which resulted in about 10 litres of water dumping from the front drains. It was a hot summer and I managed to get both side of the front floor dry with sunlight and a fan.
I have no rain protection for my Tregg as I'm in the process of re-building my carport. Of a day I park in front of my house under a bit shady tree that dumps a ****-load of leaves and small berries - mainly into the scuttle between the windscreens and bonnet. I religiously vacuum that crap out and ensure my drain ends are clear, but it would appear that somewhere, some time along the way I have a top end blockage.
Now my problem is completely removing the carpet from the driver side. I've started removing plastic door sill trim, and find I have to go all the way to the top of the B pillar and work my way down and forward. That's just for starters.
I'm parked in a narrow drive way and can't open the driver door fully, so that's not helping.
I've spent all morning Googling and searching this forum and others for help and found a fair bit of information.
So, just a quick question - would it be more expeditious to remove the driver seat as well to get the carpet up and expose my wiring?
I'm not rushing this thing. I have a couple of days to find a solution to my original problem, but of course need to get rid of the CAUSE of the problem - being the 'water in the well'.
Thanks for bearing with me on this one. I know once its all sorted I'm going to have to re-visit the blocked drains issue, but first things first.
Cheers.

post #6 of 13 Old 04-16-2018
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
The dodgy wiring splices are on the driver's side in LHD cars and the passenger side in RHD.

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA & facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 & facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7 [Not available in "VW Atlas" North America!]
Read Wikipedia:

T1 & T2 buyers MUST read:

Use Google or Bing to search by typing in: site:
followed by what you seek
post #7 of 13 Old 04-16-2018 Thread Starter

My Tregg is right-hand drive and it's the driver's side floor that's drenched. Passenger side is dry.
You saying that I'm NOT going to find water-affected wiring when I lift the carpet on the driver's side?

post #8 of 13 Old 04-16-2018 Thread Starter

Thanks again nooby. You think I should find and check the brake light switch?
Should be somewhere around the brake pedal, yeah?

post #9 of 13 Old 04-19-2018 Thread Starter

The auto-electrical guys came this morning to have a look at the Treg. Wouldn't you know it - the minute they jumped in and started it, they pulled the trannie out off Park and into whatever gear they wanted. WT? They took it to their workshop for some investigative work and on the way they found that my brake lights started working again. They parked it, and throughout the day started it and drove it around their premises. Couldn't fault it, but believe they problem was/is somewhere in the brake light switch so I told them to replace it anyway. Couldn't find one in Adelaide, so ordered it in from Melbourne. I decided to chance it and take that car and drive as normal until next week until the switch arrives. Only problem is - they cannot locate the brake light switch and the supplier, presumably Volkswagen Australia, didn't have a clue.
So, can anybody please tell me where to find the switch? Auto-electrician assumed it would be somewhere on or near the brake pedal but he says "no".
Thanks folks.

post #10 of 13 Old 04-19-2018
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
VW uses optical sensors installed under the dashboard, on the side of the center console and embedded behind the door speaker grilles to monitor your right foot position and movements to determine if you lift your right foot, move it left over the brake pedal, and then move it down. At this point the system will apply the brake lights, while continuing to analyze your right foot movements. Those Germans...

"Callie" - 2013 Touareg TDI Execline, Cool Silver on Titan black
"Sophie" - 2010 Touareg TDI Highline, Campanella white on Anthracite - sold back to VW
"Celeste" - 2009 Eos 2.0T DSG Lux, Candy white on Anthracite
"Simone" - 2002 Golf GLS TDI, 5 speed, HID projectors
"Rocinante" - 1990 JDM HDJ81 Toyota Landcruiser turbodiesel, 5 speed, RHD

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode