2006 V10 new owner not familiar with DPF. - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 10 Old 07-20-2018 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2006 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: too many to list
2006 V10 new owner not familiar with DPF.

Good afternoon everyone,

I am mostly an Audi guy, that being said I now own 2 vehicles that made the top ten worst Audi/VW to buy. My most recent purchase is a 2006 VW Touareg V10 TDI with 120,000 miles on it. I bought it because I wanted to tow my race car, and didn't want a pickup. I may have been enticed since it was German and in the same family as Audi.
Now I would like to keep this thing from turning into a very large paperweight, and currently seems like I made a decent pre inspection ran it for half a day with no check lights or coolant/oil leaks. Like I said it has 120000 miles on it which I have put over a thousand on it myself (and still no issues). I changed the engine oil with LiquiMoly TopTech 4200, and was very surprised that the oil was almost instantly black. Quick google search and I learned about soot (hey I never owned a diesel before).
So now I have searched google and links to several forums, with various answers (thats the problem with the internet now, to many opinions clouding the facts). What Diesel Particulate Filter do I have? My VW manual just states that it has one and that is it. No place to add anything, no regen cycle that I can tell no fault lights. Probably wouldn't concern me to much at this point other than the thing smokes a lot when you put the hammer down. I have seen videos of the people that like to roll coal in the TDI and have even modded the vehicle to do it excessively. My just seems to do it a lot. Is this a problem, and if it is where do I begin to fix it?

I don't have a fancy signature, but here is a current list of cars that have lived or are living in my driveway.

2000 Audi S4 2.7 V6TT (race car)
2001 Audi S4 2.7 V6TT
2001 Audi A4 1.8 I4T(selling)
2003 Subaru WRX 2.0 H4T
2004 Infinity FX35 3.5 V6 (Sold....never went back after I bought my first Audi)
2004 Audi S4 4.2 V8 (the other car that made the list....oh and currently has two motors sitting beside it).....(Avant, Nogaro, 6spd if your wondering why)
2005 BMW 545 4.9? V8 (Sold)
2006 VW Touareg 5.0 V10 TDI
2007 Audi RS4 4.2 V8
2009 Audi TT 3.2 VR6(Sold)
2012 Audi A8 4.2 V8

Thanks for responses

Stew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-20-2018
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Do take the time to read this thread to get up to speed on your new to you Touareg:

https://www.mytreg.com/index.php?/to...t-to-look-for/

Invest in VCDS from Ross Tech if you don't already have it. There are other OBD readers but VCDS is what you need.

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA & facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 & facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7 [Not available in "VW Atlas" North America!]
Read Wikipedia:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

T1 & T2 buyers MUST read:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Use Google or Bing to search by typing in: site:
followed by what you seek
post #3 of 10 Old 07-20-2018
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2004 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
VCDS can also be used on the Audi's you own(ed) so you may already be aware of that tool.
For absolutely certain/sure verify that the Liquimoly TopTech 4200 states on the container that it meets the requirements of VW spec 505.01! The 2006 V10 uses a Pumpe Deuse injector system actuated by lobes on the camshafts. The operational limits of these lobes is the shear lubrication of these surfaces.These lobes are almost certain to wear in the VERY near future if the wrong lube oil is used.
If the lubrimoly does NOT state it meets this particular spec then remove it from the engine immediately, replace it with the correct oil, and subscribe to a used oil analysis service to keep track of the iron wear products in the oil. Excessive iron will indicate cam/follower wear and replacement of the camshafts.

2008 M-B GL 320 CDI (wifes), 2000 Golf GL TDI (sold), 2004 Touareg V10 TDI (acquired 2/2011), 1984 Mitsubishi 4WD Pick Up turbodiesel (beater truck), location - SW Washington St, USA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 07-20-2018 Thread Starter

Part of the reason for my post, the oil is recommended for 501.01 and now for the translation (ausnahme) = exception V10 TDI. So crap for that, looks like I'll sit in the garage until I can change the oil, and I thought I was being good by changing it. Is that the only spec I need "approved for 505.01"? Even after seeing what others were using which is why the internet now days is a double edge sword I still shelled out $150 for 15 liters of this stuff. So tell me, what are you using and should I use an oil flush to remove the soot build up? That seems to have a 101 answers. I also have a Ross Tech, and yes it did pull some codes for the HVAC system, but it seems to operate, so I let it be. I am also no stranger to dismantling a German dashboard to fix a $10 part, in some cases twice due to a temporary fix vice doing it right.
post #5 of 10 Old 07-21-2018
Touareg Mechanic

The V10 is complicated. As Nooby says, there is a need to study.
Just a few points: realize that the NA (north america) V10 is different than ROW versions. In NA ‘03 and ‘04 have no DPF’s. These years need not be concerned about low ash ((ESP) oil, only lube quality for the cams. There are no ‘05’s. Then in ‘06 NA got DPF’s, one on each side where mufflers were formerly located in “normal” cars and not to be confused with the catalytic convertors located forward right up next to the turbos. (Do not be confused by certain other versions (Australian?) using injection of special diesel fluids, not ad blue.)
With the addition of DPF’s came the necessity for 507 spec oil. More than one dealer did not understand this. But there was a whole list of 507 oils with low ash and 5w40 viscosity.
Then about two years ago ESP (low-ash) oil became unavailable in cam-protecting 40w. So VW began specifying 5w-30.
We in NA are faced with a dilemma: do you use 40w (with higher ash) to protect cams or ESP to protect the DPF’s?Guys without DPF’s even have the luxury of adding zinc compounds like ZDDP to protect cams, though these reportedly damage catalytic convertors and oxygen sensors.
One other thing to understand is the difference between soot amd ash. As we drive soot accumulates on the honeycomb of the DPF until it is burned into ash thru a “regeneration,” either passive, active or forced. The V10 will passively generate at about 2200 rpm or higher. There is an diesel injection system fitted to give “active” regeneration. This is what is happening when you see the billowing white cloud in hour rear-view mirror. I am not knowedgeable about “forced” regens on the V10. I do know some ECM’s will not allow a forced regen if the soot load is too high, for fear of causing a fire.
I believe the soot limit for my V10 is 49 grams and the ash limit (above which the DPF must be manually cleaned or replaced) is 150 grams. Use VCDS to view your soot and ash in measuring blocks at group 068 or 075 for both ECM addresses 01 and 11.
So enough for now. Guru’s please feel free to correct and/or add.

2006 V10 TDI Reflex Silver/Anthracite w/Monster Mats, Cargo Shell, Nokian WRG2's, Telestart T91 and VCDS
The Following User Says Thank You to lgibson For This Useful Post:
Stewart Fox (07-21-2018)
post #6 of 10 Old 07-21-2018 Thread Starter

Thanks for the info on the DPF, pretty much confirming some things I had googled earlier. I tried to get the vehicle to regen by highway driving for more than a half an hour above 2500rpm. I have never seen this white smoke. I was more concerned about the heavy black smoke under hard acceleration or load. I thought that was a thing from older diesels. When I pull into the garage later tonight to change the oil (again). I will read the soot level. If it is high, I will be looking into options on forcing a regen with ross tech. If I'm wrong to equate heavy black smoke with DPF needing a regen please let me know. I thought the purpose of the DPF was to reduce particulates from exiting the tail pipe.
post #7 of 10 Old 07-21-2018 Thread Starter

Oh while I'm thinking about it, I have read several forums/articles on clogged DPF. Many have removed them completely, I live in county that doesn't require a smog cert. Is this a viable option, and is this bad or really bad for the environment? Will this lead to more problems?
post #8 of 10 Old 07-21-2018
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
I looked up your oil and if the spec I saw is definitely for your specific oil then it would appear to be VW505.01, VW506.00 AND VW507 approved!

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA & facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 & facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7 [Not available in "VW Atlas" North America!]
Read Wikipedia:

T1 & T2 buyers MUST read:

Use Google or Bing to search by typing in: site:
followed by what you seek
post #9 of 10 Old 07-21-2018 Thread Starter

Nooby, that's what I thought too. The label literally reads: Approvals VW 504 00/507 00 and recommended for VW 500 00/501 01/502 00/505 01/503 01/506 00/506 01 (german translate "exception R5 and V10 TDI - motors ago 6/2006)...so now I'm not sure yet again if it is okay or not. Not sure what motors ago really means before or after 6/2006? It is also the oil that ECS and FCP have listed to use, but knowing that it was mistaken sometimes even by the dealer, I thought I had done due diligence researching oil. Plus I use this brand in all my Audis so I really wanted it to be the right stuff.
post #10 of 10 Old 07-21-2018 Thread Starter

Here is the label.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-07-21 13.47.42.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	638.8 KB
ID:	216867  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode