13 V6 TDI diesel exhaust smell. - Page 2 - Club Touareg Forums

post #11 of 14 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2006 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Have a look in the engine bay either side of the engine on the guards at about exhaust manifold height and look for a black tar like substance spread about.
If you see any it will be blown injector seals.
Quite common on T3 diesel engines.

Regards
Drag

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdReid View Post
Ok, this for sure am exhaust smell not a diesel fuel smell. So I’ll start looking around I suppose. Cause this happens quickly while stopped I don’t think it’s from the tail pipe I think I have some issue under the hood. Thanks for the replies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Hi,
Below both outer rear seats, there are two hatches that give acces to the fuel tank pumps and piping. Worth checking if they sit properly and also the condition of the quick coupling connectors of the fuel pipes.
Also have a look at the fuel filter housing, it is very close to the hvac air intake. If there is a leak there it is very likely that the smell will be noticeable in the cabin.
I hope it helps.
post #13 of 14 Old 2 Weeks Ago

My 2012 Touareg TDI was just in the shop for 2 weeks for replacement of a split connector pipe that connects the turbo and the EGR cooler. It was an extended warranty repair as a result of the "fix".

I noticed that my cabin air intake was drawing in leaking exhaust coming from the engine compartment when stopped or at very low speeds. I used to turn off cabin air fan when not moving, even then I could smell a slight exhaust odor. Definitely get it fixed, raw diesel exhaust is no good for your lungs.

I bought the Treg with this issue unknowingly only a thousand miles post-fix. Luckily the repair was covered. Since it has been back the exhaust smell is completely gone.

If the dealership tries to ding you for a diagnostic fee call the extended warranty center and get them to approve it. It is a known problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 14 Old 4 Days Ago

I purchased a 2013 that was "fixed" and had similar concerns.... I had an exhaust leak at the turbo to the downpipe. I've since replaced the downpipe with a rawtek pipe, and that problem was fixed. I also noticed that the #1 and #4 cylinders were both missing the copper gasket on the injectors, so I replaced those too, after my #1 injector blew out on me!
so check for soot between the turbo and exhaust, and also look at the little holes on the sides of the cylinder heads to see if they're seeping black death.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode