'04 V10 - Turbos are done? What to do?? - Club Touareg Forums
 1Likes

post #1 of 17 Old 06-01-2018 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2004 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: 2004 V10 TDI
'04 V10 - Turbos are done? What to do??

Recently my '04 V10 w/ 126k has been going into limp mode (no turbos) and the CEL just came on, upon checking my mechanic is showing code P1952 - Turbo Control Module 1 Defective. Upon inspection he says the actuator(s) are sticking and I was 3QT's low on oil (6k miles since last change.) So the proper remedy is new turbos, somewhere in the $7k range. Not to mention in the last year I've done the starter or alternator (can't recall at this moment), all new brakes, new tires, 2 new batteries, and the wiring re-done under the drivers seat due to water, and brake vac lines....so I've put a lot in it and the hits just keep coming......not to mention the engine was dropped at 90k for gaskets and seals under warranty.

Shame is that I LOVE this truck, it has been my favorite car I've ever had by a long shot and I feel really bummed but I may have to just cut the cord Plus I've moved into the construction field this year so a truck would be better suited for me. In any event here are some questions hopefully you guys might be able to offer some input on:

- If I sold it today, with turbo issue disclosed what do you think I could get for it?

- Can I get someone to code out the P1952/P1953 in the ECU so I don't go into limp mode and just drive it until the turbos his catastrophic failure?
- If I part out, any thoughts on value?

Any other options I should consider?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 06-01-2018
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: 2015 V6 TDI
post #3 of 17 Old 06-01-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenTDI View Post
Ben what are you specifically referencing? The price range at the end of the article?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 06-01-2018
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: 2015 V6 TDI
I would cut my losses and get the pickup truck that I need and not be putting good money after bad in a truck that is known to be problematic.

I would try and trade it in on a new truck and take whatever they would offer me for it.
post #5 of 17 Old 06-01-2018
Multiple v10tdi owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenTDI View Post
This is what a non owner would post. Those of us that have owned one or more than one( Iíve purchased 5 and own 3) know how nice thay are!

The issue you have is most likely able to be a simple fix. These are low production vehicles and not many people know them. Those of us that do love/hate the nonsense in these types of articles. They cause the price to drop where we can now get easy fix V10tdiís in the $4000 range as I did on my last one! But it does suck if I do want to sell one!

Regardless you can send me a pm and I can instruct you on the fix or I will make you an offer if you want to sell.

3 V10TDI's: (2)2004 Black/Black, Silver/Black and 2004 V10TDI in 1990 Corvette
post #6 of 17 Old 06-01-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blownvette View Post
This is what a non owner would post. Those of us that have owned one or more than one( Iíve purchased 5 and own 3) know how nice thay are!

The issue you have is most likely able to be a simple fix. These are low production vehicles and not many people know them. Those of us that do love/hate the nonsense in these types of articles. They cause the price to drop where we can now get easy fix V10tdiís in the $4000 range as I did on my last one! But it does suck if I do want to sell one!

Regardless you can send me a pm and I can instruct you on the fix or I will make you an offer if you want to sell.

Exactly, I know the costs and have VERY happily dealt with the costs, just this one at this point in my life is making me rethink it...I've wanted to keep the Touareg to 200k or more but we shall see. PM incoming Blownvette
post #7 of 17 Old 06-01-2018

Second Vehicle: too many to list
PM sent

04 Touareg V10 380,000 miles and still going
08 Touareg V10 165,000
post #8 of 17 Old 06-01-2018
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2006 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Why the crap do all the dumb ass mechanic's always want to replace turbo's with new aghhhhhhhhhhhhh.

regards
Drag
post #9 of 17 Old 06-01-2018
Touareg Addict

Second Vehicle: Other
Exactly - clean the VNT linkages of carbon crud, replace the failed/stuck actuator if necessary, find the oil leak (tandem pump??) and replace what failed and go on down the road!

2008 M-B GL 320 CDI (wifes), 2000 Golf GL TDI (sold), 2004 Touareg V10 TDI (acquired 2/2011), 1984 Mitsubishi 4WD Pick Up turbodiesel (beater truck), location - SW Washington St, USA
post #10 of 17 Old 06-02-2018
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2008 R5 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Lost View Post
- Can I get someone to code out the P1952/P1953 in the ECU so I don't go into limp mode and just drive it until the turbos his catastrophic failure?
Trust me: You don't want that. For one, driving with un- or badly controlled turbos, it doesn't take long until they fail catastrophically - so, you wouldn't win much time anyway. And if your turbos fail catastrophically, they most likely total your engine, and might even pose direct threat to your life and those in traffic around you.

If the turbo falls apart mechanically - or even just relatively tiny parts of it break down, for ex. from the turbo blades - , those parts will fly right into the engine, obviously kill it, for good. They will scratch the cylinder walls, damage the cylinder head, even possibly cause the piston rod to bend. And if the seals fail catastrophically on the turbo, you might even get a diesel runaway - which is virtually the worst thing ever that can happen to a car, other than it crashing into something.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode