What octane? - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 30 Old 02-03-2016 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2011 V6 FSI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
What octane?

I bought a used 2011 Touareg and the manual talks about 91 octane. This is a gas engine and I'm wondering if any of you have used the next lower octane in your Touareg engines?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 02-03-2016
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2008 V8
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
If you want your Touareg to perform the way it was designed, spend the extra $6 per tank.
post #3 of 30 Old 02-03-2016
Touareg Mechanic

Second Vehicle: 2007 V6
Garage
Only premium, highest octane you can get. Yes I have run regular, but seeing as apparently low octane can result in carbon build up on the FSI motors, I would only run premium.

I did not know this when I purchased my 2007, and switched to premium quickly when I realized the cost was the same as my mileage was worse than terrible on regular.

I have heard people say only Tier 1 fuel too...I see signs at stations in my area for this...BUT after talking to some station attendants I confirmed something I had started to notice...the same truck delivering fuel at both Tier 1 and wholesale locations.

Lastly, there is no such thing as "plus," all it is is a blend of premium and regular. There are apparently only two tanks (three if diesel is sold) at service stations...selecting plus blends the fuel in the system before being pumped into your car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 02-03-2016
Touareg Enthusiast

It's all about the additives. All fuel tanker trucks fill up at the same racks. Places like Chevron and Shell charge a higher premium because their additives are mixed/added at the rack. Places like Costco can charge less because their additives are mixed onsite, when the fuel gets delivered. Both options are Teir1.

If you are in a pinch, fill up with 89 octane. You won't hurt anything. But if you are trying to save money, buy a different vehicle.
post #5 of 30 Old 02-03-2016 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2011 V6 FSI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Thanks you guys. I had a Camry hybrid and switched from 89 to 87 octane part way through our ownership of the car and didn't see any difference in performance or mileage when doing this. That's why I asked.
post #6 of 30 Old 02-03-2016
Touareg Enthusiast

I'm guessing the compression ratio was quite a bit different...
post #7 of 30 Old 02-03-2016
Touareg Mechanic

Second Vehicle: 2007 V6
Garage
I guess I feel like most people don't view wholesale as a tier 1 fuel. I personally don't care as I only buy wholesale because they sell volume (in my mind less stale).

What I AM curious about is ethanol free premium...

Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

There is a place down the road from where I work I keep wanting to fill at just to see if it gets more power and mileage without ethanol...
post #8 of 30 Old 02-03-2016
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
Every GAS powered vehicle sold in NA can run on the lowest octane pump fuel. It's a requirement that manufacturers have to abide by because premium fuel might not be available throughout the countries they are sold in. Even Porsche, Ferrari, etc can run on 87 without problems.

The engine management will change the ignition timing to prevent knock and pre-detonation to keep the engine happy. You will not have maximum rated power using a grade of fuel lower than the one recommended by the manufacturer. If they recommend 91, then that will deliver maximum engine performance. Higher octane (GAS) fuels resist pre-detonation by being less ignitable from compression heat.

If you plan to tow on a trip, use the highest octane!!

I think worries about carbon buildup in the cylinder head are more due to other problems like oil blow by in the cylinders (worn rings) and worn valve guides (oil blow by). Oil isn't supposed to be burnt in the cylinder chambers excessively. Gasoline has a lot of detergents added to prevent carbon fouling.
post #9 of 30 Old 02-03-2016
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2014 V6 FSI
I use Shell 93 octane most of the time. If I can't get to Shell I get BP or Marathon. All have been fine, saving the couple cents to use 87 or 89 is mute to me. I'll still waste the $5/day to swing by Starbux on the way to work.

2014 VW Touareg VR6
post #10 of 30 Old 02-03-2016

Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
I couldn't believe how big of a difference in power and response when I finally finished the tank of 87 that the dealer put in my 2016 and I put in the 91. The 87 made the ECU to retard the timing so much that I thought I got stuck with a lemon...

Costco gas sucks. A friend of mine with an Audi A4 2.0t had "91" Costco gas, and it pinged like a diesel. He asked me what he could do; I told him put Chevron (or Mobile) 91 in there. And Voila! No more pinging.

2016 Touareg TDI Lux
2018 Audi S4

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode