Vertex Auto - Driveshaft bearing mount - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 14 Old 08-08-2012 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2006 V6
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Vertex Auto - Driveshaft bearing mount

I've been a lurker around here for a long time and decided it is time to contribute I guess

Last week the rubber driveshaft bearing on my 2006 V6 Touareg failed (113,800 miles on it).

I did quite a bit of searching (mostly on this site) and found Vertex to be a commonly discussed solution. After talking with Vertex on the phone for about 30 minutes, I elected to get their mount system rather than a remanufactured drive shaft. At the time, the primary reason was concern about receiving an unbalanced remanufactured drive shaft (which I also read about on this site, but necessarily from Vertex).

If I did it again, I would have saved the $100 and got the remanufactured driveshaft.

Here are my reasons (in no particular order):

1) Cleaning off the old rubber and cutting out the old metal harness was a pain. Tight working corners and sharp knives and spinning blades. I didn't cut anything but it wasn't the easiest thing I have done (I've done my brakes and shocks myself).

2) Vertex was adamant that I replace the flex joint as well. This took much longer than the carrier install. As I look back in threads it seems that Vertex recently added the flex joint to what they provide (probably because people were complaining of vibrations still after installing their mount). I am also counting it as part of the carrier install because it is easiest to accomplish with no carrier installed so the driveshaft has room to move.

3) To install the flex joint, I had the driveshaft halfway out already - so there goes the "huge time savings" over installing a remanufactered driveshaft.

4) The underbody coating on my Touareg was very thick. The Vertex part did not fit without removing some of that coating from either side (more time on my back with a razor blade getting rubber bits in my face).

5) I called Vertex to discuss the issue in number 4 and they were very rude to me. I was explaining the dimensions I have and he kept speaking over me explaining how I just needed to listen to him. In this case, his explanation was useless - see resolution in item 4 above.

6) When talking to customer service regarding fitment, I was told that just over 2,000 units have been installed over the last 3 years. To me that sounds like a very low number, and hopefully he was just speaking off the cuff. Had I known this, I would have preferred a more tried and true method.

7) Total install time was about 3 hours, with 1.5 hours spent wrestling with the flex joint and 1 hour cleaning rubber - probably the same it would have taken to install an entirely new driveshaft.

8 ) I still have the same bearing and driveshaft with 114k miles on it now - I don't think anything will fail, but I still have a chance... Where a remanufactured would have included new parts.

Bottom line is in my mind, I spent the same amount of time and $100 more to accomplish the same goal. I've only driven a few miles, but I trust that the system will do as advertised and hopefully work for me for a long time.

As a disclaimer, I should add this could all just be frustration and maybe a little venting about the much longer than advertised install time (their website makes it clear that it should take less than 30 minutes - and with a nice lift, pneumatics, and not replacing the flex bearing it is possible), and the HORRIBLE customer service phone call I had during the install process.
The Following User Says Thank You to blutooth For This Useful Post:
MissMyToyotas (01-25-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-08-2012
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
An erudite post. Thank you.
post #3 of 14 Old 08-08-2012

Touareg: 2008 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Garage
Nice rite up. Thanks for reinforcing my thoughts on the subject. Re-engineered shaft we a new and heavier duty centre bearing. As you say, you still have a used bearing.

Thanks...

Stuart....

2008 V6 TDI, with the following Retrofitted Items:
ACC, Front & Side Assist, Paddle Shift, Towbar & Trailer Module, Fiscon Bluetooth. Reversing Camera, Front Fog Lamps, Redarc TowPro Brake Controller, T1 Door Warning Lamps, T1 Under Seat Drawer, Alloy Skid Plate, 5ton Winch, Cayenne Front and Rear Sway Bars, Tuned by Oettinger, Retrofitted 6 Piston Brembo Front Brake Callipers, Sports Steering Wheel, TPMS (OEM), Dual Batteries
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 08-08-2012

Touareg: 2008 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Garage
....sorry..."write up" ...typo looks like the IPad App in missing the edit function .

2008 V6 TDI, with the following Retrofitted Items:
ACC, Front & Side Assist, Paddle Shift, Towbar & Trailer Module, Fiscon Bluetooth. Reversing Camera, Front Fog Lamps, Redarc TowPro Brake Controller, T1 Door Warning Lamps, T1 Under Seat Drawer, Alloy Skid Plate, 5ton Winch, Cayenne Front and Rear Sway Bars, Tuned by Oettinger, Retrofitted 6 Piston Brembo Front Brake Callipers, Sports Steering Wheel, TPMS (OEM), Dual Batteries
post #5 of 14 Old 08-08-2012

Touareg: 2004 V8
Second Vehicle: Still looking
What are the signs of this failing?

04 Touareg/V8/full load/Air Ride/Nav/55k
post #6 of 14 Old 08-08-2012 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2006 V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04vwtouaregv8 View Post

Complete failure sounds like someone is hitting the bottom of the Treg with a bag full of rocks directly below the center armrest. Partial failure for me was an vibration at 20-30 mph (I was feeling something strange all day before it failed).

You can go under your vehicle and follow the driveshaft to where it is covered by a metal plate. Once the vehicle has been shut down for a while, go under there and feel around - if the rubber membrane around the driveshaft has any holes in it, it is time for a replacement before you are stranded somewhere (I limped it home 5 miles at 15 mph cringing the whole way because of the noise - driving right past a VW stealership in the process ).
post #7 of 14 Old 08-08-2012
Touareg Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04vwtouaregv8 View Post
As described above but spend half an hour reading up using the search facility.

Here's a thread to get you started:

https://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f4...ing-19208.html
post #8 of 14 Old 08-08-2012
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
I have asked this a few times, but have yet to receive a direct answer. Is the drive shaft bearing defect covered by the 100K miles drivetrain warranty?

Thanks.
post #9 of 14 Old 08-08-2012
Touareg Guru

No idea. Call your dealer and ask.
post #10 of 14 Old 08-11-2012

Second Vehicle: too many to list
We need more people to chime in on their experiences with the Vertex product.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode