I've been a lurker around here for a long time and decided it is time to contribute I guess
Last week the rubber driveshaft bearing on my 2006 V6 Touareg failed (113,800 miles on it).
I did quite a bit of searching (mostly on this site) and found Vertex to be a commonly discussed solution. After talking with Vertex on the phone for about 30 minutes, I elected to get their mount system rather than a remanufactured drive shaft. At the time, the primary reason was concern about receiving an unbalanced remanufactured drive shaft (which I also read about on this site, but necessarily from Vertex).
If I did it again, I would have saved the $100 and got the remanufactured driveshaft.
Here are my reasons (in no particular order):
1) Cleaning off the old rubber and cutting out the old metal harness was a pain. Tight working corners and sharp knives and spinning blades. I didn't cut anything but it wasn't the easiest thing I have done (I've done my brakes and shocks myself).
2) Vertex was adamant that I replace the flex joint as well. This took much longer than the carrier install. As I look back in threads it seems that Vertex recently added the flex joint to what they provide (probably because people were complaining of vibrations still after installing their mount). I am also counting it as part of the carrier install because it is easiest to accomplish with no carrier installed so the driveshaft has room to move.
3) To install the flex joint, I had the driveshaft halfway out already - so there goes the "huge time savings" over installing a remanufactered driveshaft.
4) The underbody coating on my Touareg was very thick. The Vertex part did not fit without removing some of that coating from either side (more time on my back with a razor blade getting rubber bits in my face).
5) I called Vertex to discuss the issue in number 4 and they were very rude to me. I was explaining the dimensions I have and he kept speaking over me explaining how I just needed to listen to him. In this case, his explanation was useless - see resolution in item 4 above.
6) When talking to customer service regarding fitment, I was told that just over 2,000 units have been installed over the last 3 years. To me that sounds like a very low number, and hopefully he was just speaking off the cuff. Had I known this, I would have preferred a more tried and true method.
7) Total install time was about 3 hours, with 1.5 hours spent wrestling with the flex joint and 1 hour cleaning rubber - probably the same it would have taken to install an entirely new driveshaft.
8 ) I still have the same bearing and driveshaft with 114k miles on it now - I don't think anything will fail, but I still have a chance... Where a remanufactured would have included new parts.
Bottom line is in my mind, I spent the same amount of time and $100 more to accomplish the same goal. I've only driven a few miles, but I trust that the system will do as advertised and hopefully work for me for a long time.
As a disclaimer, I should add this could all just be frustration and maybe a little venting about the much longer than advertised install time (their website makes it clear that it should take less than 30 minutes - and with a nice lift, pneumatics, and not replacing the flex bearing it is possible), and the HORRIBLE customer service phone call I had during the install process.