Treg asking for oil, under 10000 miles - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 12 Old 06-07-2012 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2011 V6 FSI
Second Vehicle: Other
Treg asking for oil, under 10000 miles

Wondering if anyone else has had this issue....

My 2011 VR6 just asked politely for at least a quart of oil. The interesting part is that it has only 7000 miles on the clock. Could this possibly be part of the engine break in period?

I am monitoring the levels closely now, and will be able to get a sense of future oil usage. Hopefully, its nothing major.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-07-2012
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Modern engines use oil especially if they have an easy life.

The best way to cut down on oil consumption, believe it or not, is to thrash the hell out of the car.
post #3 of 12 Old 06-07-2012
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2011 V6 TDI
Can't speak for the VR6, but - going by the digital oil gauge - my 3.0 TDI was only 2 lines down (about 1/2 liter) at the 10,000 mile service. I've got another 4k on it since, and it's still at the full mark. So it follows that - if I did have the VR6 - I would be concerned about a quart at only 7k. That said, there's also a chance that it was not at the full mark when you took delivery.

//greg//
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 06-07-2012
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
I say, don't worry, be happy ! Potentially yes, BUT it is probably no big deal. These things when new, need to settle down or out. I think you hit it on the head in that it can be due to new engine break in and due to the fact it MAY have not been filled with the full measure of oil, or there is a built in error (aka acceptable) percentage. What percentage that is, I really haven't a clue. Also what percentage of each factor that it could be, again no clue. Here in the US, I was told by the dealer to bring it in for oil level topping and also for the ad blue. (I am assuming it is part of the paid for upfront 30,000 miles of included maintenance)

There is always some controversy on whether the computer measures" correctly". Perhaps it is just really an issue of which you want to believe. The electronic measure might be on or off or off by how much? There might even be a differential between the manual dipstick and the electronic dipstick. So even if you go to the now extra step of buying and deploying a manual dipstick, now you can have multiple issues. NOW which procedure is correct for manually measuring the oil? Being as how it is not covered in the technical data or the owners manual what is the proper manual dip stick measuring procedure? Can we now assume that how it is measured in VW 4 cylinders is true for our V6 TDI's? Or if another variant had a dipstick measuring, can we in fact now use it being as how a manual dipstick was deleted?

2012 VW Touareg TDI Sport, Flint Gray/Anthracite
post #5 of 12 Old 06-07-2012
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2006 V10 TDI
Oil consumption on most engines of between 500ml and 1000ml per 1000km is considered to be "normal".

2006 V10 TDi
265/65/18 BF Goodrich tyres
1989 Mitsubishi Pajero (3.2 Di-D transplant)
post #6 of 12 Old 06-07-2012
Touareg Mechanic

I would agree. BUT, since we are talking about world wide VW products, from a US VW products and anecdotal perspective: 500 ml to 1000 ml per 10,000 km seems MORE consumptive (ratio and percentage wise). (aka a tad more than half a qt (16.9 oz) and a qt (33.8 oz). for 6,214 miles). Two I4 TDI's, one @ 170,000 miles (273,588 km) and the other at 36,000 miles (57,936 km) have had 1/4 ( 8 oz) to 1/2 qt (16 oz) consumption in 30,000 miles (48,280 km) respectively. With those consumption levels I have normally resisted the urge to top and just change the oil (25,000 to 30,000 miles OCI)

So "logically" (but even I would admit IT might not apply) a V-6 TDI would consume more oil. The 2012 V6 3.0 TDI was delivered in flawless condition. BUT the computer oil level showed app -2 clicks down but still "ok". Currently after 4,000 miles (6,437 km) it is @ -3 clicks. So in effect it "went down/lost 1 click.

2012 VW Touareg TDI Sport, Flint Gray/Anthracite
post #7 of 12 Old 06-07-2012

Hi ackman, I had the same thing happen to me. My 2011 VR6, at about 7000 miles got close to the low oil level mark as indicated by the electronic dipstick. I checked the owner's manual and it said new engines normally consume more oil, so I wasn't too worried at the time. It did say I should add some oil if the oil level is that low, so I went to the auto parts store and bought one Liter of recommended spec oil and added it to the engine just to be safe. That topped off my oil until my 10k service, where they changed the oil and filters. The car is at 11k miles now and I haven't noticed anything wrong.

post #8 of 12 Old 06-07-2012 Thread Starter

Thanks all
post #9 of 12 Old 06-07-2012
Touareg Addict

Ackman,

I just want to share my past experience with similar issue I’ve dealt with a few years ago. Might be not exactly apples to apples due to a difference in vehicle models, but still…

The Chevy Impala’s exhaust - then ~2 year old vehicle my wife was driving, - started to stink with somewhat reminding of burnt oil smell as she’s noticed at about 14K+ miles. No visible smoke was observed though. I’ve checked the computer – it showed “37% oil life remaining”. OK, keep driving darling! More driving was bringing more stinking smell until oil was changed at 15K miles or so. All was good again until about 20K miles when the smell returned. This time I’ve looked at the oil deep stick and found the oil level well below normal - it took 1.5 Q of oil to bring level back in range. Next morning Impala was at the dealer and they could not find anything wrong with it (I have to admit I never was of a high opinion about this particular dealer). Through the dealer I’ve opened manufacturer warranty (3Y or 36K miles) “oil observation case” with the GM. I was checking and documenting oil level every 1K miles (trying to prove that engine is burning oil excessively) and very quickly I’ve figured a few simple truths. Number one is that the computer “oil life” is a bull and cannot be trusted. Number two is that first 4K or so after oil replacement engine consumes oil very little – less than 1/4 Q and then oil consumption starts rising exponentially. I was doing the above mentioned observations through 3 oil replacement cycles, so my conclusions cannot be random at least for that particular vehicle. I attribute this phenomenon to oil filter clogging rather than to a decrease of oil quality during the cycle…

Ever since Impala’s engine oil and filter replacement interval is every ~3K miles or so and no one cares about “oil life remaining %”. The dealer servicing Impala now is not the Chevy dealer but the GMC dealer where people know what they are doing. Last two years Impala is my son’s car and he drives a lot. Its mileage is approaching 100K but it still runs like new. Enough story telling… My point is – stay cool, but be concerned – Touareg is not a cheap investment. Push the VW dealer to look at it closely, open a case with the VW USA if needed. Let them prove you that there is no ground for your concerns…

P.S. I did Touareg oil and filter change at 5K miles and plan on doing the same interval through the ownership of this fine machine.
post #10 of 12 Old 06-07-2012
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2011 V6 TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConservativeConsumer View Post
I did Touareg oil and filter change at 5K miles and plan on doing the same interval through the ownership of this fine machine.
FWIW, the oil change interval on the new Cayenne diesel I just ordered is 20k. So is the 2013 Audi Q7 TDI. Same engine as the Touareg.

//greg//

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode