Tranmission Problem - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 9 Old 08-15-2015 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2004 V8
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Tranmission Problem

04 V8 makes a constant noise when above 15 mph from front end. I can petal the car and find a spot where there is no noise. No slipping while driving at all. Went to dealership today and they said that I need a new tranmission and transfer case. Anyone have sugesstions before I drop $7000 on all this??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-15-2015

Touareg: 2008 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Garage
Have you checked your front diff oil, however if it the front dif and it makes that much noise it may well be too late.

Stuart..

2008 V6 TDI, with the following Retrofitted Items:
ACC, Front & Side Assist, Paddle Shift, Towbar & Trailer Module, Fiscon Bluetooth. Reversing Camera, Front Fog Lamps, Redarc TowPro Brake Controller, T1 Door Warning Lamps, T1 Under Seat Drawer, Alloy Skid Plate, 5ton Winch, Cayenne Front and Rear Sway Bars, Tuned by Oettinger, Retrofitted 6 Piston Brembo Front Brake Callipers, Sports Steering Wheel, TPMS (OEM), Dual Batteries
post #3 of 9 Old 08-15-2015 Thread Starter

Thanks. I will check it in the morning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 08-16-2015
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2005 V8
hi,
one question, when you start the car and you are not driving is there any noise? i dont understand the link with noise and the transmission, the dealer is asking you to pay 7000$ for something that maybe is not involved in this situation, if the engine is running and transmission is not making any noise do not do anything with it unless you will discover something new. you are saying that noise only starts after you go 15mph so its linked to moving parts like front diff as Stuart suggested of drive shaft front or rear, it can be wheel bearings or transfer case. do not pay 7k $ for unknown reason, try to find where is the noise coming from and post here and lot of members will try to help you kind regards, Nikoloz
post #5 of 9 Old 08-16-2015 Thread Starter

There is Zero noise when car is sitting still. To me the noise sounds like a PTO that has been hooked up to a tractor but is lose. This is our first VW so I know very little about the SUV. Any advice is a great help.
post #6 of 9 Old 08-16-2015
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
I think it is highly unlikely that both the gearbox AND the transfer box need replacing at the same time - most unlikely indeed.

I'd steer clear of that dealer!

Go and get a second opinion.

My first thoughts lie with the centre bearing on the drive shaft which is a very well known point of failure.
post #7 of 9 Old 08-16-2015 Thread Starter

Ok. Thank you. I am going to another local certified VW guy tomorrow. I am going have him check everything I have been told and also do a tranmission fluid change.
post #8 of 9 Old 08-16-2015
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
At this stage I don't think I would spend money on changing the ATF but I would check the level is correct.

However, since it takes so little oil to refill them, I would drain [and keep for close inspection for metal particles] the oil in the front and rear diffs and the oil in the transfer box [for which you need the correct 850ml bottle of lubricant which is best bought from your VW dealer!]

Doing these fluid changes won't cost an arm and a leg, and will allow you to inspect the old fluids to, hopefully, help towards diagnosing what the real problem is before spending shedloads of lolly.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-17-2015
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2005 V8
here are some links for oil changes hope it will help and please post updates about the problem. https://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f9...atf-82168.html and https://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f4...ics-82167.html and https://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f9...ush-81340.html kind regards, Nikoloz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode