Timing Belt and smokey smell at acceleration - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 15 Old 04-28-2015 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2004 V8
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Timing Belt and smokey smell at acceleration

Hi everyone this is my first post and I have had my TREG for around two weeks. I know I will have to do a couple of things to make sure its in top condition.

So I priced the changing of the Timing / V Belt and it works out around $1200 at the dealership here. I am not mechanically inclined to do it, and though I have a few mechanic friends here Im not sure if they would be willing to take on the job as they dont have experience with VW's.

How does the belt look, think this is the v belt or serpentine belt, still learning the lingo for all the engine parts.

I am also looking for a link on Amazon/Ebay to replace all the stickers on the controls on dash/steering wheel if anyone has links.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5026.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	386.7 KB
ID:	99081   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5027.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	361.9 KB
ID:	99089  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-28-2015
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
I posted on your other thread about the timing belt.

Well done for wanting to get on top of that job!

Do make sure they are fitting new tensioners, new water pump and new thermostat at the same time.
post #3 of 15 Old 04-28-2015 Thread Starter

Any ideas on the smokey smell?

I'm hoping its not burning oil, it smells like stale smoke which is why i'm assuming its from the previous owners smoking habit, right now I have two different air fresheners and sprayed the whole car with febreeze. If i could find the damn air intake I would be spraying the febreeze directly into there but cant see it

I have been reading though that it could be an issue with the drive shaft, so not sure if I should have the dealer look at that too but I'm not wanting to start increasing my spending on a car that I may have to put back up for sale come August time if my contract does not get renewed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 04-28-2015
Touareg Enthusiast

Second Vehicle: too many to list
If you can find "Natures Miracle" or something similar for removing pet odors, I find it very helpful in getting a car smelling clean.

Fabreeze eliminate odors by masking them where as the pet odor stuff attacks the source.

You need to lightly dampen every absorbent surface and then let the stuff dry as slowly as possible.
Don't forget the carpet even under the seats, and the headliner.
Usually the fan intake (on recirc) is under the dash. Get eh fan going full speed (no AC or heat) and spray it in there also.
post #5 of 15 Old 04-28-2015

Touareg: 2008 V6
I bought a car once where the previous owner smoked. I washed everything with hot water and soap first. Smoking creates a sticky film from the nicotine, this gets on everything. You have to was the car inside top to bottom and have all cloth shampooed, even the headliner (stick your nose to the headliner, bet it smells). As for the vents, I popped them off and cleaned in as far as I could reach (trying not to damage anything of course). Changed the cabin filter and cleaned everything around it. It helped a lot! After a while the smell went away.
post #6 of 15 Old 04-28-2015

Touareg: 2005 V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by davie-kuwait View Post
Any ideas on the smokey smell?

I'm hoping its not burning oil, it smells like stale smoke which is why i'm assuming its from the previous owners smoking habit, right now I have two different air fresheners and sprayed the whole car with febreeze. If i could find the damn air intake I would be spraying the febreeze directly into there but cant see it

I have been reading though that it could be an issue with the drive shaft, so not sure if I should have the dealer look at that too but I'm not wanting to start increasing my spending on a car that I may have to put back up for sale come August time if my contract does not get renewed.
Ozone generators work pretty good if you have access to one, have also heard ground coffee in an open container works if left for a few days.

2005 Touareg 3.2L V6
Favorite Quote:
"Boy, if brains was lard, you would'nt grease a very big pan" - Jed Clampett.
post #7 of 15 Old 04-28-2015
Touareg Addict

Second Vehicle: Other
Garage
Definitely replace the cabin filter if it hasn't been changed recently.

In spite of everything, I still like Volkswagens.
post #8 of 15 Old 04-28-2015
Touareg Guru

Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrylMan View Post
Ozone generators work pretty good if you have access to one, have also heard ground coffee in an open container works if left for a few days.
I have used ozone generators commercially on refrigerated semis that had to carry fresh fish one day and fresh flowers the next!

VERY effective and they can be hired.
post #9 of 15 Old 04-29-2015

Touareg: 2005 V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by davie-kuwait View Post
Hi everyone this is my first post and I have had my TREG for around two weeks. I know I will have to do a couple of things to make sure its in top condition.

So I priced the changing of the Timing / V Belt and it works out around $1200 at the dealership here. I am not mechanically inclined to do it, and though I have a few mechanic friends here Im not sure if they would be willing to take on the job as they dont have experience with VW's.

How does the belt look, think this is the v belt or serpentine belt, still learning the lingo for all the engine parts.

I am also looking for a link on Amazon/Ebay to replace all the stickers on the controls on dash/steering wheel if anyone has links.
Just looking at your pictures, that belt looks ready to be changed, check your tensioner while your at it. Maybe that smokey smell is the belt slipping on the drive pulley.

2005 Touareg 3.2L V6
Favorite Quote:
"Boy, if brains was lard, you would'nt grease a very big pan" - Jed Clampett.
post #10 of 15 Old 04-29-2015 Thread Starter

Yeah I will take care of the belt within the next week.

Ozone Generator is one of these: Green Air Classic Purifier Ozone Generator Asthma Allergy Smoke Remover Ionizer | eBay I am clueless as to where I would find access to one of these in Kuwait though and im not sure they will ship it to me APO

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode