Strange error with timing chain - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 1 Old 08-16-2016 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2004 V6
Second Vehicle: Old heap
Strange error with timing chain

Hello all, happy to be part of this forum.

I recently bought a 2004 V6 3.2, with more than 200k kms on the clock. Works fine, and I am quite happy with it. Fixed all minor stuff around, replaced faulty airbag module, brake assist pipes and other things. Then I installed VCDS lite, and I discovered that I was getting a 17755 error, which is this one (sorry cannot add links since I am a new member - just remove the white space after http):

http ://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/17755/P1347/004935

The CEL/MIL was off at the time.

I took the car to three official dealers, all of them telling me that the timing chain has been lengthened, running tests and giving me quotes up to 3000EUR for replacing the timing chain.

While trying to find a better quote, I changed the oil in the car (just after 5k km on my watch), with 5w30, as indicated in the service manual. Since this oil change and a reset on the fault codes, the above mentioned error never re-appeared, and I have done more than 2000km. Before that, I have cleared the fault code more than 5 times, and it was re-appearing just after some minutes of driving.

What has happened? Did the car have not the appropriate oil before? Did it magically cure itself?

The only thing I noticed since then, is that I hear a chainy sound every morning (first start of the day) for one second (then I suppose oil arrives in place and the sound stops).

Any ideas? Should I proceed with the timing chain? Should I sell?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode