Rough cold start - Club Touareg Forums
 1Likes

post #1 of 19 Old 03-29-2019 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2011 V6 FSI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Rough cold start

I recently bought a 2011 V6 Touareg I've had it about a month. I took it in to the shop and had the plugs, coils, oil change, filters etc done. The car runs rough for about 30 seconds on a cold start and then it evens out. My mechanic hooked up the diagnostic to it and couldn't find the fault. He said as it progresses it will trigger the code and he can then correct it. Any idea what it might be? The Touareg is in excellent condition visually and mechanically, I'm just stumped by what this might be.

I will say, I love this car. I was originally looking for a Cayenne but when this Touareg popped up at $10-12K less than a Cayenne I pulled the trigger. Can't say I'd ever buy a Cayenne as this car IMO is just as good (Cayenne owners disagree) but, I've extensively driven both.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 03-29-2019
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
My first guess would be a fuel issue.... have him look over the fuel supply closely.... it almost sounds like the fuel pressure is lost due to a small leak or something...... how long have you driven it since? Does it act the same way if you shut it down and start it 1hr later, or only after a prolonged sitting?
post #3 of 19 Old 03-29-2019 Thread Starter

Second Vehicle: Still looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboABA View Post
My first guess would be a fuel issue.... have him look over the fuel supply closely.... it almost sounds like the fuel pressure is lost due to a small leak or something...... how long have you driven it since? Does it act the same way if you shut it down and start it 1hr later, or only after a prolonged sitting?
Only after sitting over night. It's been doing this since I bought it. I didn't notice at the dealer because they had previously started it and moved it around before I arrived.

I looked more on the forum and it appears this isn't an isolated issue. Seems people are tight lipped about this issue but, a "software remapping on startup" is what I've read... I'm skeptical as to that answer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 03-29-2019
Touareg Mechanic

So you've been driving it and it still hasn't thrown a CEL?
post #5 of 19 Old 03-29-2019
Touareg Guru

Touareg: 2006 V8
Second Vehicle: 2004 V6
Garage
This might not be 100%, since you list a 2011, but this is one thing to check.

It might be 100% for your T3. I know it works for T1 and T2.

post #6 of 19 Old 03-29-2019
Touareg Enthusiast

Second Vehicle: a bicycle
Garage
My '11 does the same thing. It's got new OEM plugs/coils/filter and recent oil change. Seems to be more rough/noisier on cold starts in warmer weather. Smoother/quieter cold starts in colder weather < 35° F.

Some people have said this is due to the engine working to build up the oil pressure. Not sure if this is the case or not.
I was leaning to the possibility of carbon build up on the back of the intake valves being the culprit.

Yes I have a Vag-Com cable and software. No it's not from Ross-Tech but works flawlessly
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 19 Old 03-29-2019
Touareg Mechanic

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Tregs View Post
I was leaning to the possibility of carbon build up on the back of the intake valves being the culprit.

..... because you're running Summer carbon buildup instead of All Season carbon buildup? Or 30sec carbon since it goes away after?

Also, if people say it's due to oil pressure building up...... is the oil more viscous in warm weather or cold weather?

You guys should pull your plugs after the vehicles sit overnight to see if your cylinders smell like gas.... I'm suspecting leaky injectors.
What sort of milage are you at?
post #8 of 19 Old 03-29-2019
Touareg Enthusiast

Second Vehicle: a bicycle
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboABA View Post
..... because you're running Summer carbon buildup instead of All Season carbon buildup? Or 30sec carbon since it goes away after?

Also, if people say it's due to oil pressure building up...... is the oil more viscous in warm weather or cold weather?

You guys should pull your plugs after the vehicles sit overnight to see if your cylinders smell like gas.... I'm suspecting leaky injectors.
What sort of milage are you at?

At least you gave another possible scenario to the problem rather than just being a Richard Cranium about other peoples theories.
Presently I have ~82K miles but the Treg has been doing it since I purchased it used with ~72K miles on the clock.

Yes I have a Vag-Com cable and software. No it's not from Ross-Tech but works flawlessly
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 19 Old 03-29-2019
Touareg Mechanic

Theoretically, a leaky injector would potentially cause a rich condition after sitting which could "clear up" as you guys are describing once the engine started and a few hundred cylinder explosions too place.... Smell your oil... I should stink like gas if this is severe enough.
post #10 of 19 Old 03-30-2019
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2008 V8
Second Vehicle: 2007 V6
Garage
This is a normal 3.6 VR6 FSI characteristic caused by the Homogeneous Split Catalytic Converter Heating Method-And no I didn't just make that up. This is described on page 37 of the 3.2 and 3.6 VR6 Self Study as:

"This system has the task of quickly heating the
catalytic converters to operating temperature for cold
starts.
Fuel is injected twice in a combustion stroke.
The first injection occurs in the intake stroke. This
creates an even distribution of the fuel/air mixture.
In the second injection, a small additional amount
of fuel is injected just before ignition TDC.
The late injection increases the exhaust gas
temperature. The hot exhaust gas heats up the
catalytic converter so that it reaches its operating
temperature faster."

During this cycle the engine will run a bit odd...which is normal. The plus side to all this is that there is no secondary injection air pump.

The most common way of describing this is that the motor can sometimes sound like it has an aggressive cam and can even erect forward or backward creep by being a bit rough. Note that there is also a different (and much deeper exhaust note (if you put your ear down there).
TurboABA likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode