Replacing crank sensor on 3.2 V6 Touareg - Club Touareg Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 10-21-2014 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast
 
Touareg: 2004 V6
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Australia
Second Vehicle: Other
Posts: 135
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Replacing crank sensor on 3.2 V6 Touareg

Guys
I need some help please. I have tried removing the G28 crank sensor but the oil cooler bracket appears to be in the way.
See photo.


Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20141021_223158.png
Views:	4186
Size:	402.5 KB
ID:	75538


Is there any easy way to replace without removing the oil cooler bracket?

BTW - I am hoping to fix the G28 correlation error code.

Thanks.
benb2376 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 Old 10-25-2014
Touareg Mechanic
 
G6mdxvct's Avatar
 
Touareg: 2005 V6
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: USA
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Posts: 535
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by benb2376 View Post
Guys
I need some help please. I have tried removing the G28 crank sensor but the oil cooler bracket appears to be in the way.
See photo.

Is there any easy way to replace without removing the oil cooler bracket?

BTW - I am hoping to fix the G28 correlation error code.

Thanks.
No need to mess with oil cooler. Sensor only has one bolt. Loosen from underside. Will have to wiggle/ twist around a little to get out and there is not a lot of turn space. Once bolt is out may have to use screwdriver to pry out. New one will go in easily. Unplug wire. It is on a bracket attached to your dipstick. Pry off the bracket and pull wire out from sensor end. When installing new sensor just feed wire right back behind oil cooler, get topside and you should be able to see the plug. Hardest part for me was getting the plug back on the bracket. Put a little Vaseline on the plug and bracket will make it easier. If you can't get back on the bracket won't be end of the world no where for plug to go and not enough wire length anyway.
G6mdxvct is offline  
post #3 of 14 Old 10-25-2014
Touareg Mechanic
 
G6mdxvct's Avatar
 
Touareg: 2005 V6
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: USA
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Posts: 535
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by benb2376 View Post
Guys
I need some help please. I have tried removing the G28 crank sensor but the oil cooler bracket appears to be in the way.
See photo.

Is there any easy way to replace without removing the oil cooler bracket?

BTW - I am hoping to fix the G28 correlation error code.

Thanks.
Another note if you start getting camshaft crankshaft correlation errors along with the speed sensor/crankshaft sensor error you have issues with your timing chain. Normally a poor speed sensor will keep the car from starting or shut off the car when running. If the computer does not know the crankshaft position car will shut off and not restart. Not trying to alarm you but the 3.2L V6 is notorious for stretched timing chains. The ECM uses the three sensors to know exact piston position and to know which piston is TDC at initial start up. Sometimes just replacing the upper chain tensioner can help. It looks like a 27mm bolt on the passenger side of the block below and slight behind the throttle body. The tensioners work on oil pressure. If you can hear a sound like marbles rolling around in a can coming from front center by the fire wall your chain is slapping around and not tight. More noticeable at start up but will go away once oil temp and water reach operating temp about 200F. Had similar correlation errors with my 3.2L V6 and the chain was/ is the problem. Can still drive in this condition even with a solid CEL but will get worse over time until chains repaired.
G6mdxvct is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 14 Old 10-26-2014 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast
 
Touareg: 2004 V6
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Australia
Second Vehicle: Other
Posts: 135
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks. I'm taking into the mechanic tomorrow so will let you know how it goes.
benb2376 is offline  
post #5 of 14 Old 10-26-2014
Touareg Mechanic
 
G6mdxvct's Avatar
 
Touareg: 2005 V6
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: USA
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Posts: 535
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by benb2376 View Post
Thanks. I'm taking into the mechanic tomorrow so will let you know how it goes.
One minor correction on the upper chain tensioner. You can pull it, clean, reprime with oil and reinstall. Sometimes it gets sticky and the piston does not extend the fully intended amount. Sometimes the piston gets slightly out of plumb. Not very noticeable but can occur. The bolt is nothing but a hollow cylinder with a spring and piston. There is a very small hole for oil to enter.
G6mdxvct is offline  
post #6 of 14 Old 10-26-2014
Touareg Guru
 
noobytoogy's Avatar
 
Touareg: Still looking
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Brexit Central, England
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Posts: 20,102
Thanks: 0
Thanked 553 Times in 480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G6mdxvct View Post
Another note if you start getting camshaft crankshaft correlation errors along with the speed sensor/crankshaft sensor error you have issues with your timing chain. Normally a poor speed sensor will keep the car from starting or shut off the car when running. If the computer does not know the crankshaft position car will shut off and not restart. Not trying to alarm you but the 3.2L V6 is notorious for stretched timing chains. The ECM uses the three sensors to know exact piston position and to know which piston is TDC at initial start up. Sometimes just replacing the upper chain tensioner can help. It looks like a 27mm bolt on the passenger side of the block below and slight behind the throttle body. The tensioners work on oil pressure. If you can hear a sound like marbles rolling around in a can coming from front center by the fire wall your chain is slapping around and not tight. More noticeable at start up but will go away once oil temp and water reach operating temp about 200F. Had similar correlation errors with my 3.2L V6 and the chain was/ is the problem. Can still drive in this condition even with a solid CEL but will get worse over time until chains repaired.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G6mdxvct View Post
One minor correction on the upper chain tensioner. You can pull it, clean, reprime with oil and reinstall. Sometimes it gets sticky and the piston does not extend the fully intended amount. Sometimes the piston gets slightly out of plumb. Not very noticeable but can occur. The bolt is nothing but a hollow cylinder with a spring and piston. There is a very small hole for oil to enter.
Good posts.
noobytoogy is offline  
post #7 of 14 Old 10-26-2014 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast
 
Touareg: 2004 V6
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Australia
Second Vehicle: Other
Posts: 135
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for the posts.

The mechanic just informed my my worst fear after replacing the crank sensor.....fault still comes up and timing chain needs replacing.

I looked and some timing chain kits do not have sprockets. I'm guessing changing the sprocket is a MUST.

Should I be trying to change the camshaft sensor / reprime the chain tensioner first or is it a waste of time ????

Thanks.
benb2376 is offline  
post #8 of 14 Old 10-27-2014
Touareg Guru
 
noobytoogy's Avatar
 
Touareg: Still looking
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Brexit Central, England
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Posts: 20,102
Thanks: 0
Thanked 553 Times in 480 Posts
I would reprime the tensioner first.
noobytoogy is offline  
post #9 of 14 Old 10-27-2014 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast
 
Touareg: 2004 V6
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Australia
Second Vehicle: Other
Posts: 135
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobytoogy View Post
I would reprime the tensioner first.
Thanks. Is there a technique for repriming?
I am nervous about putting the tensioner back in and then the whole lot jumps a tooth.......or three!

Also, what VCDS measure blocks can I do to actually verify I have stretched the chain?

Please note I have not had the CEL come on yet, only the crank / camshaft correlation code.

Thanks.
benb2376 is offline  
post #10 of 14 Old 10-27-2014
Touareg Mechanic
 
G6mdxvct's Avatar
 
Touareg: 2005 V6
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: USA
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Posts: 535
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by benb2376 View Post

Thanks. Is there a technique for repriming?
I am nervous about putting the tensioner back in and then the whole lot jumps a tooth.......or three!

Also, what VCDS measure blocks can I do to actually verify I have stretched the chain?

Please note I have not had the CEL come on yet, only the crank / camshaft correlation code.

Thanks.
If you replace both camshaft sensors and crankshaft sensor and still get correlation errors can almost guarantee your timing chain has issues.

If you remove the upper tensioner and don't crank no worry about chain slipping. You can prime the tensioner by placing it in a can of clean oil and pushing the piston in and out a few times. Install the tensioner and see what happens. If the camshaft codes don't go away you need to spend the $$$ and fix. Other option is to drive the car until the noise gets worse. It will. If you choose to keep driving the CEL will stay on and a scan will indicate camshaft crankshaft correlation errors. Have been driving mine this way for about six months. I change my oil every 2k miles as a mitigation effort. My car makes the most noise under 50F until oil and temp is 200F. If air temp is in the 60's hardly noticeable. Ultimately a loose chain will impact the guides and a broken chain could result in a new engine if a piston strikes a valve that should be closed but is partially open. If one of the chain guides break all bets are off. With mileage on you car would fix the chains if the tensioner does not take care of the problem.
G6mdxvct is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 

VW Touareg News Delivered to your Email!

Stay up-to-date with Touareg news in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]