Quick easy questions on bad fuel pump symptoms. - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 7 Old 10-03-2015 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2004 V8
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Quick easy questions on bad fuel pump symptoms.

Read through dozens of pages on the fuel pump issues. Couldn't elicit straight answers from any of the posts. Was hoping for some clarification.

My Touareg sputters and dies after 30 seconds. After the priming pump turns off. Leading me to assume the main pump is dead. On an 04 v8, passenger or drivers side is the main pump?

My mechanic friend seems to think this is a immobilized feature. I insist fuel issue. Mainly because I just replaced my main battery two weeks ago and because my MFI is saying the fob battery is dead despite being brand new. Thoughts?

If i start it and give it gas before 30 seconds it drives fine but dies as soon as I let off the gas.

Touareg will start right back up without issue right after it dies. But dies right at 30 seconds.

Lastly, to order the parts, just to make sure. I really only need the main pump. But I'm best off replacing both? If I do replace both, I need both left and right pumps, and the separate $100 sending unit/ filter correct?

Thank you gentleman!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-03-2015 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

So plot twist. I accessed the relay panel on drivers side by the firewall. Pulled the 404 relay towards the front of the car which I was told controls the power switch OFF to the priming pump. The car stays running now and can drive without stalling. I guess just running off the priming pump alone.

So now I assume the main pump is bad. Is that on the drivers side or passenger side? I'm a little strapped for cash right now so I plan to replace the bad pump and the filter/ sender asap, the priming pump when it goes bad.

Any idea which is the main pump and which is prime?
post #3 of 7 Old 10-04-2015 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

anyone know if the drivers side or passenger side pump is the main running pump?

checked for codes, only one code pulled, a code for stalling. All else appears to be working as it should. Weird.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 10-04-2015

Touareg: 2008 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Garage
Hope this helps, Mind you ELSA Win does not give too much information as to which pump is "primary" or "Secondary". It looks like they are working in parallel.

Stuart...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf vw-wi___rl_V.en-GB.K00589615.wi__55954895.xml_xsl=3.pdf (77.0 KB, 79 views)
File Type: pdf vw-wi___rl_V.en-GB.K00589615.wi__55954898.xml_xsl=3.pdf (68.8 KB, 70 views)

2008 V6 TDI, with the following Retrofitted Items:
ACC, Front & Side Assist, Paddle Shift, Towbar & Trailer Module, Fiscon Bluetooth. Reversing Camera, Front Fog Lamps, Redarc TowPro Brake Controller, T1 Door Warning Lamps, T1 Under Seat Drawer, Alloy Skid Plate, 5ton Winch, Cayenne Front and Rear Sway Bars, Tuned by Oettinger, Retrofitted 6 Piston Brembo Front Brake Callipers, Sports Steering Wheel, TPMS (OEM), Dual Batteries
post #5 of 7 Old 10-04-2015
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2007 V8
Second Vehicle: 2007 V8
Drivers side pump primes and starts, Passenger side pump is main running pump

07 V8 FSI, Campanella white, steel suspension(wife's)
07 V8 FSI, Campanella white, Air suspension, hitch, keyless start, center & rear diff locks 265/70R17 M+S (mine)
post #6 of 7 Old 10-04-2015
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2007 V8
Second Vehicle: 2007 V8
Search fp, go to Fredie fuel pump post #18 by Touaregchitown, good luck

07 V8 FSI, Campanella white, steel suspension(wife's)
07 V8 FSI, Campanella white, Air suspension, hitch, keyless start, center & rear diff locks 265/70R17 M+S (mine)
post #7 of 7 Old 10-14-2015
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2005 V6
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hedditch View Post
Hope this helps, Mind you ELSA Win does not give too much information as to which pump is "primary" or "Secondary". It looks like they are working in parallel.

Stuart...
Seems the primary and secondary labels cause confusion.

The priming pump behind the drivers seat is in the primary side of the fuel tank (larger size). The pump that runs the car after 30 seconds behind the passenger seat is located in the secondary side of the fuel tank (smaller size) . Believe the labels have nothing to do with pump function but rather location in the funky not quite U shaped fuel tank.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode