Put a new engine in my water damaged Touareg??? - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 21 Old 09-21-2014 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2005 V8
Second Vehicle: Other
Put a new engine in my water damaged Touareg???

Sadly, I recently destroyed my Reg's engine by going through a pool of water that was deceptively deep, causing non-repairable hydro lock. She sat in the water for about an hour, with minimal intrusion of water into the passenger compartment (some dampness in the passenger side carpet). A shop was able to get it briefly started, and there doesn't APPEAR to be any damage to the electrical system. A VW tech looked at and doesn't think there is any electrical damage, but said they can't be sure until it had a functioning engine in it. (Neither the insurance company nor I was considering putting a new engine in at that point, so it probably hasn't had a super thorough inspection or whatever diagnostics they might be able to do yet.)

I'm told a new engine installed (by a VW dealership) is $13K, but the value of the vehicle is only around $11K, so the insurance company has determined that it is "totalled". They would sell it back to me for $2k. I have a good mechanic (non-dealership) that might be able to do it a bit cheaper, but I haven't spoken to them yet).

Aside from this fatigue-caused lapse of judgement, I've taken good care of my baby, and I'm really not very interested in buying a used Touareg of unknown history. I have also poured a ton of money into her in the last 6 months (I was planning on driving her into the ground, not into a pool), including:

- Both fuel pumps replaced 5,000 miles ago
- Replaced brake pads and rotors (Altetta Truck Parts kit offered here, which I'm very happy with) about 3,000 miles ago.
- Bought a fifth full size spare, and put Nitto Terra Grapplers on all 5 wheels - only 5,000 miles on 4 of them
- Timing belt was also replaced about 15,000 miles ago

So, doing the math, for about $4k, I'd have a virtually new Touareg.

MY QUESTION IS: What are people's thoughts on the risk of putting a new engine in it, only to find there may be other damage? To the electrical system? What about other things, like exhaust system (she belched out a lot of water when the got it started, but I am in the dry climate of Utah so hopefully optimal for any drying)? Other risks?

My shameful pics are attached so you see the depth of the water. It was effectively a little deeper when she went in due to nose down decent into the water.

Many thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-08-31 14.17.43.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	384.4 KB
ID:	70754   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-08-31 14.19.49.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	322.7 KB
ID:	70762  

'05 Touareg V8 Fully-loaded including winter package, air susp., center & rear locking difs. Running Nitto Terra Grapplers. Offroad Grey.

'62 Porsche S-90 (356B) Champagne Yellow. Fully restored. In family since new.

'84 Volkswagon Westfalia Camper, Wolfburg Edition. 190,000 miles and still running strong.

'05 Audi S4 Gone, but I drive it in my dreams sometimes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 09-21-2014
The Moderator!

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: a bicycle
What I am curious about, did it stop as soon as you got in the pool or did you pull in there and sit still for a bit before it stopped running? I was under the impression, but I am not mechanic, hydrolocked meant it would not start at all. You say they got it to run. What about a rebuild of that motor to get it working again? I'm sure you could find another motor some where given the 4.2 was pretty common in Audi's and I don't believe that much different, but not completely sure on that one. If you like it and can get another motor and no other issues with the car, then get it fixed.

2010 Alaska Grey/Anthracite V6 TDI- Lux,Tech, Air and Hitch
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

04 Offroad Grey V6, gone, but will never be forgotten.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 Old 09-21-2014

Touareg: 2004 V8
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Are you sure the engine is not runnable?
If it ran when taken out of the water i don't see why you need to change it.
Water in the oil?
Change the oil.

Bunch of used engines on fleebay if interested ;
touareg v8 engine | eBay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 09-21-2014
Learner

Touareg: 2006 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: 2015 V8 TDI
Sorry to hear that. Where it is in the pics it doesnt look deep enough to be a problem at all. I have taken my v10 thru much deeper waters. But no water crossing is the same. The entry here is pretty steep so thats where it might have happened. Lucky you werent driving a diesel!! But with a petrol engine its not that bad they can be restarted and fixed much much easier. I would hang onto it. A simple tarp thrown over the front will save you the trouble next time. But best to check the depth and walk thru or see another vehicle go thru. All the best

V8 TDI R line MY15, White, Panoramic roof, VW towbar. Dynamic Road Sign Recognition, Lane Assist, Traffic Reports, Google Earth enabled. All Led.

V10 TDI, MYO6 on Conti CrossContact 255/60/18s with RNS510, Paddle Shifters, Rear Diff lock, Mounted Spare, Bluetooth, 4 Zone CC, Keyless, AFS Xenons, TPMS, Easy Entry/Exit, Twin Batteries, Air Suspension, Sunroof, Icom IC440 UHF radio...

Had, Sold & Missed...V6 petrol on Pirelli AT's with Sat Nav, Rear Diff lock, Bluetooth & Phatbox.
post #5 of 21 Old 09-21-2014 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
What I am curious about, did it stop as soon as you got in the pool or did you pull in there and sit still for a bit before it stopped running? I was under the impression, but I am not mechanic, hydrolocked meant it would not start at all. You say they got it to run. What about a rebuild of that motor to get it working again? I'm sure you could find another motor some where given the 4.2 was pretty common in Audi's and I don't believe that much different, but not completely sure on that one. If you like it and can get another motor and no other issues with the car, then get it fixed.
Hi Yeti,

I'd say it ran for less than 10 seconds - on as far as you can see it traveled. When I went the through the same, but shallow pool in May I gunned it pretty hard once I got in the water. This time, I realized it was much deeper and moved slowly.

I wished I'd just stopped, and tried to back up (might have been hard or impossible with wet tires on slickrock), but I was completely suprised.

'05 Touareg V8 Fully-loaded including winter package, air susp., center & rear locking difs. Running Nitto Terra Grapplers. Offroad Grey.

'84 Volkswagon Westfalia Camper, Wolfburg Edition. 190,000 miles and still running strong.

post #6 of 21 Old 09-21-2014 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mghamms View Post
Are you sure the engine is not runnable?
If it ran when taken out of the water i don't see why you need to change it.
Water in the oil?
Change the oil.

Bunch of used engines on fleebay if interested ;
touareg v8 engine | eBay

After being removed from the water, mechanics in Moab pulled all the plugs and blew out as much water as they could.

It started, but only ran for about 5 seconds - and a hideous sound it made.

According to the VW tech back in Salt Lake, in addition to a bunch of bent rods at least 4 of the cylinders have lost compression.

post #7 of 21 Old 09-21-2014
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
I'm a bit lost on your "new engine" math. Is it a brand new engine you plan to fit or a used engine?

If the latter, just pick up the insurance payout.
post #8 of 21 Old 09-21-2014
The Moderator!

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: a bicycle
Slow is probably why it sucked in water. I have been through water as deep as that and not had any issues, but I kept it moving a decent pace.

2010 Alaska Grey/Anthracite V6 TDI- Lux,Tech, Air and Hitch

04 Offroad Grey V6, gone, but will never be forgotten.
post #9 of 21 Old 09-21-2014 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh View Post
Sorry to hear that. Where it is in the pics it doesnt look deep enough to be a problem at all. I have taken my v10 thru much deeper waters. But no water crossing is the same. The entry here is pretty steep so thats where it might have happened. Lucky you werent driving a diesel!! But with a petrol engine its not that bad they can be restarted and fixed much much easier. I would hang onto it. A simple tarp thrown over the front will save you the trouble next time. But best to check the depth and walk thru or see another vehicle go thru. All the best
I'm curious about your tarp strategy. How is that configured and doesn't the engine get oxygen starved?

Yes, this was a stupid move - I assumed the water was passable because I'd done it in May - and my judgement was a bit off because I was exhausted. I'd been driving (mostly offroad) for about 7 hours.

post #10 of 21 Old 09-21-2014 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobytoogy View Post
I'm a bit lost on your "new engine" math. Is it a brand new engine you plan to fit or a used engine?

If the latter, just pick up the insurance payout.
New engine installed is $13k.

My payout is about $11k

Once "totaled", I can purchase the vehicle for $2k, so subtracting that from the $11k, and then paying $13k is a difference of $4k.

I've been told a "used" engine installed is $10K. I'd rather pay an extra $3k for a brand new engine than a used one with an unknown service record.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode