Odd sound in 04 V8 Tranny - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 14 Old 03-29-2015 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2004 V8
Second Vehicle: Other
Angry Odd sound in 04 V8 Tranny

I have an 04 V8 that experienced the 1 to 2 slam and occasional 5 to 4 bump. I had the VB replaced with new at the VW dealership a couple of years back. After the change I drove daily for a couple of months without issue and then one day, it hung up in 1st and then slammed into 2nd. Now it has been parked for a couple of years but I am brining it back out of it's sleep in the coming weeks. Also, after the dealership did their thing, the transmission started to make an odd noise. In park or neutral or in 1st gear in tiptronic there is an audible sound. It sounds like a big bearing set spinning dry. Imagine if you were holding a big roller bearing that was clean and dry. When you spin it you get that bzzzz bearing sound. The odd thing is that it makes this sound in 1st gear tiptronic at idle but not 1st gear in drive or sport. It's not so loud that you would hear it driving normally just when sitting and idling or revving the engine in park. Need to do something with the transmission but not sure what steps to take next.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-30-2015
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2005 V8
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Hi, i would check ATF level first.
post #3 of 14 Old 03-30-2015 Thread Starter

Will do after vacation this week. Thanks Nikoloz.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 03-30-2015
Touareg Addict

post #5 of 14 Old 03-30-2015 Thread Starter

Great! Thanks. I guess the dealership may have not topped the fluid up properly. Still curious to know the functional difference between 1st gear in D and first gear in tiptronic. As the sound is clearly not there in D or S there must be different logic at play in tiptronic.

Will start with the simple stuff next week.

Also, this tranny is found in many vehicles including some minis. I wonder if one could use a newer tranny from a wreck from an entirely different car or if the setup is different in the internal components.
post #6 of 14 Old 06-14-2015 Thread Starter

OK, checked the ATF level and it seems fine. Cannot add more with the engine running. Please have a listen to the video below to hear the sound I am trying to describe.

Thanks

Darren

post #7 of 14 Old 06-15-2015
Touareg Addict

as i can see you have the gear selector in ''P'' as i can see fron the video the noise is RPM related, more you are revving your engine more noise you get, i personally think its your exhaust system problem, exhaust manifold or something like that pleas post updates kind regards, Nikoloz
post #8 of 14 Old 06-15-2015 Thread Starter

Thanks nikoloz. I can put the gear selector in drive or tiptronic first gear and the noise will change. It is more pronounced in tiptronic. I can rev a little with the brakes fully applied and compare the two different sounds, tiptronic and drive.

This is why I think it's in the transmission.
post #9 of 14 Old 06-15-2015 Thread Starter

I was outside trying to get a better idea of where the sound is coming from and I am nearly 100% sure it's the transmission.

I am trying to figure out what work is done when the VB is changed. Obviously the last step is reinstalling the filter and an o-ring that has to be in straight.

If there were a leak in the pickup that allowed air to enter would this cause foaming and cavitation of the ATF? This is the sound I am trying to describe.

Imagine a drinking straw with a crack half way between your mouth and the top of the fluid. When you draw fluid up the straw with suction you also draw in air (venturi effect) and this causes the fluid to become full of bubbles. This also causes a hissing type of noise as the air is infused into the liquid.

Is this a plausible theory? Is there anywhere a valve body job can go wrong that would create this type of issue?

On a final note, I ran the rpms up a little in gear to heat up the fluid some then I checked the temperature on each side of the thermovalve on the ATF cooler to ensure that it was open. Both in and out hoses were equally hot to the touch so I am concluding that this valve is opening. While my hand was on the ATF rubber hose I could feel thumping like that of air bubbles running though the fluid. When I did try to add fluid with the engine running the fluid that came back out as overflow was covered in small bubbles. Is this normal?

Is this a possibility? Could the system be drawing air into the fluid before the pump?

Darren
post #10 of 14 Old 06-16-2015 Thread Starter

Angry Problem solved

Just so you know, having a VW dealer do your work is not always the best choice.

I have been sucking air into my ATF and likely killing my transmission for the last 10k.

At least the pan and fluid was clean so no major metal filings.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0450.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	305.8 KB
ID:	106273  

Tags
bad shift , shift problems , torque converter , transmission , valve body

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode