Odd front vibration, off and on - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 12 Old 02-18-2019 Thread Starter

Odd front vibration, off and on

I have an 04 Cayenne Turbo and have been having an odd issue with it spanning roughly 2 years now. 99.9% of the time, it is perfect, noise free, vibration free, except when I hit a puddle on the passenger side! Literally, I hit a large puddle, and then I hear a loud knocking and vibration from the front pass side.

What I have done/inspected so far-

Took front suspension apart. All ball joints, all bushings, all axles tight and no play in them. Drained front diff oil, and while smelling burned (105k miles) there was bairily any metal particles. Replaced with Royal Purple synthetic. Axle stubs had hardly any play also, so I highly doubt carrier bearings are bad.
Center driveshaft bearing still intact. I filled the void with poly to wart off future problems.
All of the electrical connectors I have packed with dialectric grease incase it was shorting a sensor. There has been zero ses lights or warnings.

So that's where I am at, and running out of things to check that make sense. It is definitely vibrating at wheel speed. Once it starts, I have to pull over, stop, wait just a few seconds, and then I am fine again until the next big puddle. I recently took a 300 mile trip in very heavy rain. I had to stop 5 times to "reset" the vibration. Then, on the last 150 miles, I just kept above 70mph and never had to stop again and it hasn't been back.
I have been working on and building cars for over 30 years, but this one has me stumped. It sucks when your "rain" vehicle can't drive in the rain!

Any help is appreciated or ideas of where to look next.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-18-2019
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Just to be clear, your HEAR the vibration but you, or more likely your passenger, don't feel it through the floor pan?

Or the steering wheel?

Or the cubby box between the seats?

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA & facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 & facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7 [Not available in "VW Atlas" North America!]
Read Wikipedia:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

T1 & T2 buyers MUST read:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Use Google or Bing to search by typing in: site:
followed by what you seek
post #3 of 12 Old 02-18-2019
Touareg Guru

In advance of your reply I'm wondering if it is more body part related or something like a shield on the brakes . . .but why it "resets" after stopping thr car is bloody odd!

Do you turn the engine of when you stop?

Read Wikipedia:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 02-18-2019 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.

The vibration is audible, and you can feel it. I can literally pinpoint the area to the pass front through feeling in the floorboard, steering wheel, and seat. Plus, it only seems to happen when hitting puddles. Sometimes it resets by just letting off the throttle and coasting for a little bit.

I checked the brake backing plate, fine. Checked lug length to make sure nothing was hitting there. I do not need to turn the motor off for it to reset, simply coming to a stop resets it.

For the longest time I thought it was very bad engine knock at certain throttle points, so I have been driving it accordingly and making sure I have rpms up before getting into boost. The issue has gotten slightly worse, so if it was actually engine knock, I would have tossed a few rods or holes in pistons by this point.
post #5 of 12 Old 02-18-2019 Thread Starter

Wanted to add a few more things.

The CTT has an engine torque damper/arm that was failed, but replaced a few months back to no avail. Turning the steering wheel while the vibration is happening does nothing, and cannot replicate while making a tight turn, so outer cv's are not the prob. Wheel bearings were still tight and not free spinning at all. I have heard slight knocking sound a few times while at low speed, 25-35mph while hitting a speed bump or other large bump in the road. This brings the inner cv into question as that is the joint that allows the axle to shorten and extend with the control arm compression and rebound. But, the inners were also good and zero play detected while moving the joint in and out thinking that I may have created a wear pattern at a certain length. It also seems to happen when I set the truck at different heights, again, ruling out a wear pattern in the cv.

Here is an out of the box idea that may be possible. While I had it apart, I could yank on the pass side stub axle and overcome the spring clip that holds it in just by hand with a good tug. The inner cv uses a cross pattern for the balls, and not a straight line. It may be possible that there is a slight amount of draw happening while the cv is spinning and putting a force on the stub axle trying to pull it out. If a very rapid heat change (like a big puddle and splashing water) somehow added to that force, I could see the stub axle pulling out slightly and creating an out of balance condition. It just bakes my bean of how it could just simply repair itself time after time. Luckily, the part is super cheap albeit lots of labor to get to.
Does anyone know the typical amount of force needed to overcome the spring clip holding the stub axles in?
post #6 of 12 Old 02-18-2019
Touareg Guru

Long shot...

Check the centre bearing on the prop / drive shaft.

Any play or sign of splitting or cracking in the thinner rubber diaphragm, then do the "Jimi fix" which costs nothing but a few zip ties and takes half an hour.

Read Wikipedia:

post #7 of 12 Old 02-18-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobytoogy View Post
Long shot...

Check the centre bearing on the prop / drive shaft.

Any play or sign of splitting or cracking in the thinner rubber diaphragm, then do the "Jimi fix" which costs nothing but a few zip ties and takes half an hour.

Already inspected. It was still fine, bearing also, but as preventative maintenance, I filled the rubber area with poly, and it is cured.

I have done tons of research already to find out the usual suspects, and all have checked out fine. It's a tough one isn't it? Lol. I actually design suspension components for some of the fastest mile cars out there, and this stupid little thumping has me stumped on a dang suv!
I am usually very in tune with all of the mechanicals while going down the road, and can catch symptoms before failures happen. While nothing is failed yet, it is making this very intermittent issue very hard to diagnose.

The best I have is assuming the pass axle stub is able to pull out slightly for some reason, and able to repair itself once I come to a stop. Just need someone to confirm the actual amount of force needed to collapse the axle spring clip for the stub axle to come out. I can do it by hand with a decent tug. If others confirm it takes much more force, then I may have my answer and just need a new spring clip.
post #8 of 12 Old 02-18-2019
Touareg Guru

I hope you get to put this to bed soon.

Keep us all in the loop please.

Read Wikipedia:

post #9 of 12 Old 02-18-2019 Thread Starter

Thanks for your help and suggestions.
post #10 of 12 Old 02-18-2019

Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Any possibility that the TPMS sensor on that wheel is slightly less than entirely stable?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode