O2 Sensor Locations/Fix. New to Touaregs, HELP! - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 5 Old 10-30-2014 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2009 V6
Second Vehicle: Still looking
O2 Sensor Locations/Fix. New to Touaregs, HELP!

First off, thanks for taking your time to look at this. I have been a VW Enthusiast since 2008, which started with a 2001 VR6 GTI. I am now in a 2006 GLI, and yesterday we just picked up my wife a 2009 Touareg since we are expecting our first!

We bought the 2009 Touareg with the 3.6L VR6 Motor. 87,000 Miles. Galapagos Grey with Anthracite Interior with Tech Package. Stole it for $13,500

It does have a couple things needing to be fixed, one of which is a bad O2 sensor.

Talking with VW they are saying it is the one on the bottom side near the Catalytic converter. However the previous owner suggested that it was the first on on the left when you look inside the engine bay.

Is there any way via the code the Check Engine Light pulls to find out exactly which O2 sensor it is?

Also, does anyone have a photo of the exact physical location of the sensor that you could point in a photo IF it is the one that VW is suggesting it is on the underside near the Cat?

Thanks fellow Touareg-ers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-30-2014
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2011 V6 TDI
Looking up your Touareg, it looks like it has 4 O2 sensors, each associated with it's own heater. You have 2 front O2 sensors, each for Bank 1 and Bank 2. You then have 2 rear oxygen ("sensor 2") sensors, each for Bank 1 and Bank 2. So you need to find first what sensor is bad.
And yes, the code associated with the CEL should tell you specifically which O2 sensor is bad.

2011 Touareg TDI
2013 Golf TDI
post #3 of 5 Old 10-30-2014 Thread Starter

Okay that makes sense. I will pull the code tonight to find out which it is.

Are both front sensors, and both rear sensors going to be the same part regardless of the Bank? Or are all 4 different and unique to the position and bank?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 10-30-2014
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2011 V6 TDI
The manual I have doesn't say but if you can read the part number you could find out if they are all the same.

2011 Touareg TDI
2013 Golf TDI
post #5 of 5 Old 10-31-2014 Thread Starter

Haha! Heres some photos.

Got the code scanned and everything that pulled is coming from Bank 1 Sensor 1. Easiest one to fix . Hopefully it helps a bit on fuel. So far its only been at 17 on the freeway! I feel like I should be getting around 23 highway and 18 city.

And yes I knew it needed the O2 sensor when I bought it. Seller warned me up front and I took to a VW dealership to have them do a $100 pre-purchase inspection. The only thing they didn't catch that I just did is that the rear cup holders in the center console that pop out are just missing...seems odd.

Also random and off topic from the main subject. With this being a tech package is there a way to hook up a phone or iPod for music via bluetooth, or coord (audio jack or plug in) as is. And if not, anyone have links to products that I can hook up to make bluetooth work for music and possibly phone calls?

Onto some photos:
Night we brought home the Touareg.

At the sellers house:

engine bay

What got replaced by the TReg:

And my MKV GLI:

Maybe ill have to go start an official introduction thread haha!

Thanks for the tips again!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode