Looking to buy 2008 V8 High Mileage - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 6 Old 11-08-2017 Thread Starter

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Garage
Looking to buy 2008 V8 High Mileage

Hello everyone been a long time lurker but this is my 1st post. Looking into joining the Toureg community by purchasing a T2. Just recently came across a 2008 V8 w/ air suspension that has 120,000 miles. Just wondering if this is maybe something I should stay away from considering the high mileage. Would like the car to last me at least 5 years and I put about 11- 12k a year which would put me at let's say 180k in 5 years. My main fear is the tensioners going bad and having to pull the motor. I have read many post on what the most common failures are but many are out dated. Would love to hear everyones take on current higher mileage V8 fsi motors and what to expect.

So how many miles have you racked up on your V8 and what major repairs have you come across?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-08-2017
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2008 V8
Second Vehicle: Other
I bought mine at ~140K miles and have put roughly 20K on it since. No major engine repairs. (so far!!) I did have to deal with oil leaks from valve cover gaskets, the engine valley (2 oil gaskets there) and one engine oil sensor, however.

Obviously, YMMV.

2008 V8
No VCDS? Get it here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old 11-08-2017

Touareg: 2004 V8
Buying a used car (any used car) is always a risk. Anything can go bad anytime and will cost money to fix. HumbleMechanic, a VW mechanic who posts on youtube, says that the T2 Touaregs are VERY reliable. However, even very reliable cars do break down and require repairs.

All you can do is keep the maintenance up to date and keep money aside just in case the vehicle needs major repairs. Make sure to use full-synthetic engine oil and change it every 5000 miles. Change the transmission oil (and filter) and differential fluids if previous owner hasn't already or if s/he doesn't have reciepts. (The Touareg has a front differential, rear differential, and a transfer case besides the transmission. The fluid in those units need to be replaced every 100,000 miles. Transmission fluid should be replaced every 50,000 miles or sooner depending on use.)

The 2008 FSI being a direct-injection engine, you would also need to clean carbon buildup from intake, periodicly. But then this is the case with all DI engines. The Touareg isn't any different.

So keep maintenance up to date and hope for the best. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 11-08-2017

Touareg: 2004 V6
BTW, I have an '04 Touareg, and my car needs about $2K in repairs (some is just routine maintenance) every 2-3 years. My car has 140K miles and now needs about $5K in repairs. So when people say, "Put money aside" they don't mean just a little money--you are putting away a lot.
post #5 of 6 Old 11-08-2017
Touareg Enthusiast

Holy smokes! Are these repair costs based on dealership pricing/quotes? What issue's are you experiencing exactly?
post #6 of 6 Old 11-08-2017
Touareg Mechanic

Second Vehicle: Other
Garage
I have a 2008 V8 FSI with 108k and air suspension. Original drive shaft still. I had the oil pan valley / intake oil leak. I took it apart and cleaned carbon myself then replaced the rubber gaskets that were leaking. That was at about 96k miles. I bought with 75k miles, one owner. It now has 108K miles and all going well (knock on wood). I change with Castrol 5w40 synthetic every 5k miles and Mahle Oil Filter. I did the transmission service with kit from Blauparts and did my diffs a couple years ago. Overall love mine and hope it keeps going strong.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode