Hydro locked engine - Club Touareg Forums

Old 09-03-2018 Thread Starter

Hydro locked engine

Hello , I purchased a 2017 Touareg in may of 2017 with 8300 miles on it . Last Wednesday 8/29/2018 my wife pulls Touareg out of garage and drives to work 3 miles away. When she pulls into shopping center entrance the Touareg loses power and there a big noise from within. I have it towed to bill Jacobs Volkswagen in Naperville. On Friday I called to see what the problem is. Iím told by a lady in the service department that the service technician looked at it and is telling the service advisor what the findings are. No call for several hours so I call in afternoon and my service advisor John Morrisey says it hasnít been looked at . He then calls me roughly an hour or so later and tells me hea has bad news . John says the engine is hydolocked and my Touareg that has 13395 miles isnít covered under warranty. How does a Touareg thatís driven 3 miles on blacktop paved roads,light rain get Hydrolocked . Iím questioning this as would anyone with a brain would. Facts light rain ,pavement,no standing water hydolocked engine ...doesnít add up . Had a 2008 tourerg for 9 years absolutely beautiful car so l purchased the 2017 . Any feedback would be appreciated Jeff 773 206-2332
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2018
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2011 V6 FSI
Second Vehicle: Other
Garage
I recalled reading about an issue someone else had that was along the same line as you've had. It prompted me to check my '11's airbox drain. Check out the thread below. Definitely worth the read.

https://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f...er-263721.html
The Following User Says Thank You to New2Tregs For This Useful Post:
Kuki (09-04-2018)
Old 09-03-2018
Touareg Guru

Touareg: 2006 V8
Second Vehicle: 2004 V6
Garage
A know problem. Read the master thread and don't forget to file a nhtsa complaint to get the recall ball moving.

https://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f...er-263721.html
The Following User Says Thank You to nickyt For This Useful Post:
Kuki (09-04-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2018 Thread Starter

Been researching the issue but every Volkswagen person says no warranty or recall. Rain is an exterior thing and Iíll have to repair the 14000 engine.
Old 09-04-2018 Thread Starter

No dice with Volkswagen people on phone with corporate lady and she asked me how often my Touareg gets hydolocked. Clearly she doesnít know what that is . Volkswagen isnít stepping up to plate . Sad .
Old 09-04-2018
Touareg Guru

Garage
Nope. VW is pretending that this is not an issue. We know that this is happening and that it is an issue.

We have watched VW do this before. File the NHTSA complaint anyway. This is already a recall issue in China. Eventually it will be a recall here if enough complaints get filed.

Most people are filing this under their comprehensive insurance. It is a shame to see VW collect nearly $15K from insurance to repair a problem that appears to be VW's responsibility.
Old 09-07-2018

Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki View Post
No dice with Volkswagen people on phone with corporate lady and she asked me how often my Touareg gets hydolocked. Clearly she doesnít know what that is . Volkswagen isnít stepping up to plate . Sad .
You need to keep pestering them... send a letter/ email to vw "executive team" & when doing so, copy your dealers service manager, general manager etc. Try to go through the dealer first if possible but if they are of no assistance at all just send the letter.

I had to do this for another problem on another car, that definitely shouldn't have been warranty but was a big problem with the car that was not seen on any other vw car we have owned or seen on the road. They ended up providing significant assistance with the fix.

Additionally, after reading your thread/ the master thread I checked my airbox (2016 TDI) and filter had been wet at some point. Took to dealer to document concern & they replaced air filter.

I will be filing a NTHSA complaint here soon.
Old 12-02-2018

Second Vehicle: VW 2
Garage
other than just saying the engine was hydro-locked, did they say if anything was bent or broken?

I am aware that water does not compress. If nothing is bent or broken, can spark plugs be removed on the cylinders that have water in them to have the water dried up/ejected like I've seen at some point in my life. I know it was on an older car/engine so I'm not sure if the same applies to modern engines.

Did the dealer supply an actual damage report with the identified damage?

Did they check the air box for a wet filter? If so, what was their thought? how many modern cars hydro lock their engines with zero modifications and on paved surfaces (that aren't flooded)?

Did you check the air box for a clogged drain after the dealer diagnosis? [will a drill fix this issue?]

for a vehicle capable of fording rivers, this really seems like a WTF moment that no one thought of.

Sorry to hear about your situation, but in all actuality, how hard would it be for VW to issue an air box recall notice to fix the offending part?

could you imagine people driving down the hwy, in the rain, and their engine hydrolock while the car is traveling at hwy speeds...not good

I feel you pain. best wishes.

#savethemanuals
Old 12-02-2018
Touareg Guru

Garage
The car is mostly new (2017 with 8300 miles on it). This is a case where a good lawyer will sort it out quick. If the car was older, or higher mileage, then not so much.

Did VW really ask how often does your car get hydrolocked? Well VW, it does it about every 2,000 miles so this will be the 4th engine I have had put in, at 8,300 miles.

Geez VW. Really?
Old 12-03-2018
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: too many to list
Do I assume this is a gasser? Not that it makes any difference,but there have been many issues with the TDI and water in the air box. Totally UNACCEPTABLE,period. Read up on this forum for more info. Modern cars just don't hydrolock. I have a "new" 2016 that sat out side for close to 2 yrs exposed to rain and snow before being released for sale and has no issue with water. Nothing about this makes any sense including VW doing nothing about the issue.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in