High Mileage Issues with 2004 V8 T-reg? - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 48 Old 09-27-2010 Thread Starter

High Mileage Issues with 2004 V8 T-reg?

Hi, I have an '04 V8 T-reg that just passed 100,000 miles. I have kept up with the scheduled maintenance and am not yet experiencing any issues, but just wanted to know what, if any, high $$$ issues others have experienced with this mileage and above. Bottom line, I am trying to decide whether or not to keep it much longer. Any suggestions/information would be appreciated.

Thanks,
John
2004 V8 T-Reg
Air Suspension, etc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 09-27-2010
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2006 V8
Second Vehicle: Still looking
No issues here. I have the maintenance records for my 85K mile T, and it has generally been trouble free.

Some people experience soft button peeling. I try to get in the car with clean hands washed only with regular water and soap.

A few people (8 stories told here in the forum that I've seen, some may be hearsay) have experienced sudden air suspension bag failure. Sometimes with the transmission in park and the engine at idle. Could happen anytime. Not a cheap item.

A few people may have experienced air strut failure (not necessarily reported in this forum) in 2004 to early 2005 T's, which necessitates replacement of the other three plus the central controller, because the 2004-type struts are no longer made. It is unclear whether VW goodwills the other three plus the controller for Touaregs. If not, this could be a $9000 ordeal.

A few people have experienced transmission failures. New ones are expensive.

Some have experienced driveshaft failure. $1000 or less. Likewise random electronics failures of $1000 or less.

Other than that, with proper maintenance these machines seem to be rock solid. We'll just have to see what breaks in the future.
post #3 of 48 Old 09-27-2010

You have been one of the lucky ones not to have major issues especially with a 2004.

I have a 2005 V8 fully loaded with 96k miles. My 100k mile extended warranty is looking to run out at year end. I have had all the standard issues over the years(thankfully covered under warranty) including transmission replaced, new alternator, etc etc. My $1,500 warranty has easily paid for itself with over close to $15k in repairs.

I to am trying to decide how much longer I should hold on to. I still love my vehicle, but will be a little scary not being covered under a warranty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 48 Old 09-27-2010
BANNED

Touareg: 2004 V8
Second Vehicle: Other
I have 136k on my 04 V8. Never had an extended warranty, do not believe in it.
Sure sometimes it pays for it self mosten times not
After 100 k I have replaced driveshaft $600, valve body $1500 front light bulbs $150 and that is it. Mine were not done at the dealer ship.

If you cannot afford to keep past the warranty? That is scary
post #5 of 48 Old 09-27-2010

Touareg: 2004 V8
mine has 130K and usual issues, just replaced driveshaft last weekend = not bad for a grandpa, had the car since new and expect to get 250K
post #6 of 48 Old 09-27-2010

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: Other
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by davec View Post
mine has 130K and usual issues, just replaced driveshaft last weekend = not bad for a grandpa, had the car since new and expect to get 250K
love your style grandpa!
yo ma man!
post #7 of 48 Old 09-28-2010

Touareg: 2004 V10 TDI
Couple issues with the '04 V10TDI. At 72K miles now. One of the turbos went out at 65K... replaced under VW Platinum Warranty. Nothing else really... Damn thing is solid as a rock!

2004 V10 TDI - 18" Manhattans, OEM VW iPod Adapter
post #8 of 48 Old 09-28-2010

Touareg: 2004 V6
Send a message via AIM to jpstringer Send a message via Yahoo to jpstringer
I have an '04 V6 which I brought used 4 years ago. I now have 127k miles and do follow the scheduled maintennce which can be pricey, but don't skip them. I had the prop shaft replaced around 55k, still under maintenance. Tires go about every 30K but I found the Hankook tires which now have 40K and they are 50% worn. If you have the High Output Gas headlights, you can expect these to start going over 100k. These will go for $230 each and strongly suggest you do not replace then yourself. Let the dealer do it because chances are good something caused the light to blow and $230 a shot, troubleshooting could be a lot more expensive then pay the VW dealer. I started to feel a rumbling in the front end, and at 125K the right and left front wheel bearing needed to be replaced, this will run about $1100. I have one lingering problem which is a squealing air blower motor which comes and goes.

Normally if a vehicle starts to cost me a lot in maintenace, I move it along. But with the my Touareg I just can not part with it. I love driving as musch today I did when I got it. The leather seats still look new, no cracking and the side body parts are dent resistent, so there is no parking lot demage. I am figuring around 200k before I consider selling it.

The only thing I would like to do is upgrade the Nav system to the newer DVD system which would give me blue tooth for my iPhone.

I high recommend the Touareg and the "04 and '05 years are some the best buys out there. These models were feature rich and all the orginal problems have been fixed already.
post #9 of 48 Old 09-28-2010

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpstringer View Post
.....If you have the High Output Gas headlights, you can expect these to start going over 100k. These will go for $230 each and strongly suggest you do not replace then yourself. Let the dealer do it because chances are good something caused the light to blow and $230 a shot, troubleshooting could be a lot more expensive then pay the VW dealer. ......

Achtung!
Nice things about forums on a particular make vehicle, are the ways around the obvious, and the obvious being to visit your typical local stealer, and shelling out on their retail pricing on everyday type parts. Those bulbs can be had for waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay less than what you have been quoted!

I don't know what front bearings go for either, but that $1000 price sounds awfully suspicious. I mean, if you shop carefully, a driveshaft can be had for half that bearing price.

Bottom line, you need to shop around!
Welcome to the forum

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #10 of 48 Old 09-28-2010

Touareg: 2005 V8
Mine has 72k miles and runs like a babe. Ran out of warranty. I am new in Boston and founf the Best Shop. Brian's garage. Works on VW and Audi only, Works Mon-Fri only and by appoitments only. Great work and way cheaper than dealer service.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode