post #11 of 153 Old 10-06-2011 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2008 V6
Second Vehicle: Other
Let the parts throwing begin!

At least VW has recognized the issue and has the Tech Line involved:

Replaced so far:
Alternator
Alternator to "controller" wire because the resistance was causeing a 4 volt drop
ordered Throttle Body
ordered valve cover to replace breather
replaced coils

It will be there until next Tuesday. Calling VW Customer service later today to ask for this months payment to be covered as I have had it in the shop one month out of this year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 153 Old 10-10-2011

Touareg: 2009 V6
Second Vehicle: Still looking
I have a 09 that does the same thing. Its been in the shop a couple of times for it and it still does it.
post #13 of 153 Old 10-10-2011 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

After talking to VW Customer Care, they instantly gave me a $200 credit towards anything at the dealer which is cool. I also got them to agree to 1/2 a payment if the truck is in the shop past Wednesday.

Still no word on the repair. Im trying to convince them of the breather issue, but they just dont seem to think it goes bad on this engine. I think they just dont want to take the intake manifolt off and replace the valve cover as that is a pretty decent project. If the throttle body doesnt make any impact, my next move is to go and show them the oil in the breather line and demonstrate that venting the breather for 10-15 seconds before starting makes it run beautifully!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 153 Old 10-10-2011
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: 2008 V6
Terry - which dealer is it at?

Westside, Schmelz, Inver Grove, Burnsville, etc....

Current:
2014 TDI Exec - White w/ Cornsilk

Gone to a great new home:
2008 V6 Cranberry Red - Lux Plus (Leather, Keyless) Tech + Dynaudio, Air, Tow, 4 Zone Climate
post #15 of 153 Old 10-10-2011

Touareg: 2009 V6
Second Vehicle: Still looking
My 09 VR6 it's just the same... VW told me that everything is normal .... I guess i am not the only one.
post #16 of 153 Old 10-11-2011 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameoba View Post
Terry - which dealer is it at?

Westside, Schmelz, Inver Grove, Burnsville, etc....
It's currently at Westside. I haven't heard from them since last Thursday and they are no longer returning my calls. Looks like another call to VW corporate and a drive over there after work today to figure out what the hell is going on.
post #17 of 153 Old 10-12-2011 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Finally got ahold of them after eight attempts yesterday, including leaving messages on the "We're extremely busy" line. Throttle body came in Monday, didn't have time to put in in until today.

Called today at noon. Truck is the same, bad idle and revving issues. Engine feels "delayed" to the shop forman. I'm then told that it will be a few days as they keep working on it by process of elimination (parts throwing). I ask how much time he thinks they will put into it. He states 2.5-3 hours a day at the most. Lovely. They have, admittedly, no clue what is wrong and no longer want to release the Reg until it is fixed.

Now it comes down to the fact that they have done the following in a week:
Eight days at the dealer with virtually nothing done.
1. Changed an alternator wire
2. Replaced the throttle body

That's it. Seriously. Calling the shop manager in a moment to see what can be done to accellerate this repair. I mean seriously. It's having idling issues and a misfire and you have YET to check the ignition after telling me you were going to swap coils?

I also have a hunting trip scheduled this weekend which is now on hold until they can find me a Touareg as a loaner. No way in hell in taking this Jetta into the woods up north. It MIGHT make it but I might get shot!

I have always had "good" service from Westside, but this is making me think twice before I bring it there again.
post #18 of 153 Old 10-12-2011
My God,it's full of stars

Touareg: 2008 V8
Things that come to mind are: coil pack (one or more), PCV/breather tube, bad gas, clogged fuel line/filter(s) - and of course check the battery. Just my 2 cents

siberian

The best long distance runners eat raw meat, run naked and sleep in the snow

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #19 of 153 Old 10-12-2011 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

In total agreement with you siberian.

I went and talked to the service manager. Actually the service manager is out so "Mike" one of the service writers is helping out this week. Super easy going and honest guy. He agreed with me that before ANYTHING else happens, all six coils should be swapped. Neither of us understand why that wasn't step one as these coils are known to go bad and are from a recall year!

They finally agreed that oil in the breather line ISNT normal (as in dripping oil, a little is fine) and will be working through that issue, most likely with the new valve cover and breather.

Battery was replaced two weeks ago when I first was working through these issues. Its occurring with various suppliers of fuel and ran on good 91 octane for 200 miles after the last oil change, air filter and battery. '

On the plus side, the found a Touareg loaner so hunting is back on! Woo!
post #20 of 153 Old 10-12-2011
My God,it's full of stars

Touareg: 2008 V8
I don't recall the coil packs being on a recall on the 08s. That was for earlier years (I have two of them), but it's worth a shot given the symptoms. It should be really easy to check which one (if any) are malfunctioning. Also check air filter whilst you're at it as that can cause O2 starvation and erratic driving, the MAF would also be something I'd be looking at. Has it triggered any codes?

siberian

The best long distance runners eat raw meat, run naked and sleep in the snow

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode