Fuel Problems - Club Touareg Forums
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By pilot60378

post #1 of 8 Old 07-13-2015 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2004 V8
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Exclamation Fuel Problems

Hi guys and girls! I'm new to the forum but have used it a bit for info and now I'm here for help. I have a 2004 V8 Treg. Here's a little prerequisites to my problem that I have now.

1. First thing that went bad was my mechanical brake vac boost pump- replaced with good used from a VW V8

2. Right side (transfer pump) fuel pump went out- replaced with aftermarket new pump

3. Left side fuel pump goes out-replaced with new aftermarket pump

Now no codes or problems occured for about 2 months

I get codes
P0174- Fuel Trim; Bank 2: System Too Lean
P0171- Fuel Trim; Bank 1: System Too Lean
So now I decide to replace the MAFs with aftermarket (non-Bosch)

These two codes go away and after a few drive cycles I get:
P1128- Fuel Trim; Bank 1 (Mult): System too Lean
P1130- Fuel Trim; Bank 2 (Mult): System too Lean
P1479- Brake Boost Vacuum System: Mechanical Failure

So now I check fuel pressure again. Pressure with Key on Ignition off I get about 2bar or 28-30PSI (My gauge is of the cheap harbor freight kind), when it should be 3-4bar which is about 50-60psi. The gauge setup is not tee'd off, I didn't have a tee to use so the gauge is at the end of the pressure line.
Volume out of each side is JUST under 800ml in 15sec and according to ELSA it must be a minimum of 800ml in 15sec. ELSA states that if volume is under, it must be a fuel filter problem, but once again I replaced it with a brand new VDO and fuel pressure regulator.

The brake vac pump does come on and run, you can even see the lines move a bit and the lines are fine with no breaks. However, I have noticed that my pedal goes pretty far to the floor.

So what am I missing? I love my Treg but I'm about to pull my hair out over this one!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-14-2015 Thread Starter

Nobody has anything?
post #3 of 8 Old 07-14-2015
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: 2008 V6
Sounds like you have 2 separate issues - a fuel system one and a brake system one. If everything is new (fuel filter, fuel pump, etc) I'd take a look at where you are testing fuel pressure. If you are testing back near the pumps, maybe you have a blockage or a crushed supply line under the vehicle. If you are testing at the front, I'd still look for blockages.....

As for the brake issue - have you flushed the brake fluid? Not just bleed the calipers, but flush it all the way out? Your 04 is 10-11 years old now. Brake fluid is hydroscopic (absorbs water). A soft pedal is a sign of air / bad fluid. Or a bad master cylinder. But I'd start with the brake fluid.....

Current:
2014 TDI Exec - White w/ Cornsilk

Gone to a great new home:
2008 V6 Cranberry Red - Lux Plus (Leather, Keyless) Tech + Dynaudio, Air, Tow, 4 Zone Climate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 07-14-2015 Thread Starter

Well, so today I decided to open up the fuel pumps and check line. All the lines are fine and correctly installed, so no kinks. Reinstalled everything and got underneath her. I saw no crushed lines. I can't check pressure at the pumps as I have no proper connector for those lines. After all that, I checked pressure again at the front (Key On Engine OFF) and I got 20psi! WTH!? So I reattached the line and cranked it up. Idles fine, but stomp on the gas and I get hesitation and sounds of misfire at around 1k-1100rpm and again roughly around 3k. I did notice smoke rising from the right valve cover area, so I will be replacing the valve cover gasket and the chain tensioner guides as I have that wonderfully horrible noise at cold start. Could a bad valve cover gasket be causing my codes?
post #5 of 8 Old 11-24-2016

Touareg: Still looking
also has P1128 P1130 codes

My 2006 V8 also has P1128 P1130 codes and o2 sensors fault code.I am still wondering why this lean happened?Looking for the answers now.
post #6 of 8 Old 10-09-2017 Thread Starter

Just so everyone knows what fixed my issue with the fuel codes, were two new fuel pumps. I HAVE gone through a set of aftermarket pumps fairly quickly. However, the last set has fixed that issue. I did encounter a pressure problem and just replaced the actual FPR in the flange (maybe I'll do another post about that at some other time.) I also purchased 2 chinese MAFs that worked for a short while and I ended up buying brand new Bosch MAFs.

As for the brake codes. That plastic hard vac line that VW used is crap! I found the breaks in the line, cut it square and repaired it with rubber line to join them back together.

I know folks post their problems a lot of times but never follow up with the fix, so here it is. Sorry it took so long for me to post it!
nickyt and Jesse M like this.
post #7 of 8 Old 10-10-2017
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2008 V8
Second Vehicle: Other
Thanks for the update!

I had the P0174 and P0171 codes once, too. MAF cleaner took care of them!

2008 V8
No VCDS? Get it here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 8 Old 10-10-2017
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Glad you're sorted and glad you came back to tell us about the fix. Sometimes it is very tempting to buy cheap - we've all done it! - but so often it then costs more when you then have to buy the "real" thing later.

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA & facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 & facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7 [Not available in "VW Atlas" North America!]
Read Wikipedia:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

T1 & T2 buyers MUST read:

Use Google or Bing to search by typing in: site:
followed by what you seek

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode