Does the valve body need to be reprogrammed? - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 28 Old 03-23-2015 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2007 V6
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Does the valve body need to be reprogrammed?

Hello,

I have to replace my valve body, I am going to be purchasing one from reaman or revmax. I have UTFSF, however I can't seem to find any post that states that the valvebody will need to be reflashed to the tcu.

I took it to a transmission shop and they stated that the valve body would need to be reprogrammed to the tcu. Is this correct? I was of the impression that all you needed to do was plug and play with the new valve body. Sorry if I haven't UTFSF enough.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 03-23-2015
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Can't recall any need to programme.

Certainly do a gearbox reset:

Ignition on BUT do NOT start the car.

Press the accelerator firmly to the floor and hold it there for a full 10 seconds.

Release the pedal, turn the ignition off and remove the key.
post #3 of 28 Old 03-23-2015 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobytoogy View Post
Can't recall any need to programme.

Certainly do a gearbox reset:

Ignition on BUT do NOT start the car.

Press the accelerator firmly to the floor and hold it there for a full 10 seconds.

Release the pedal, turn the ignition off and remove the key.
Yeah I also never heard of it needing a reset before, however I want to make absolutely certain from someone who has done it themselves.

I have done the soft reset and I find that it does infact help and even a few times I have a had a few days where the transmission ran flawlessly. This is why I am a little bit confused about my situation. The dealer says valve body, however I am wondering why it can run perfectly normal some days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old 06-10-2015

No, just reset the adaptations...

Revmax Valve Bodies

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The leader in 09D Aisin Valve Body Upgrades
877-780-4334
post #5 of 28 Old 06-10-2015 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

I thought I would come back and explain crystal clear so that no one in the future has to wonder. Yes it is true that you do not need to reset anything with the dealer or anything like that.

I was having HORRIBLE symptoms with my transmission. Mine was strange though because I was having a problem with the upshift from 4th to 5th and EVERYTHING I read said it was either a 5-4 or 3-2 downshift. I was anxious because my symptoms were not matching up with the hundreds of other people. It took 2 independents and the dealer to convince me to try it. I sent my valve body to a company in ontario that rebuilds valve bodies and it took about 5 days to turn it around.

I took it my local indy specializing in German vehicles and it was good to go. The reason I felt that I should come back and explain this is so that people will know that nearly 99% of transmission issues with the touareg are valve body related. Even if your symptoms are not occuring 100% of the time (mine honestly worked flawlessly some days, I was so confused). Get it looked at by a couple shops and see what they tell you.

For those wondering who this company in ontario is, they are called valve body rebuilders. I am not affiliated with the company at all, I just hope that helps some of my Canadian treggers. Valve Body Builders: Remanufactured transmission valve bodies that meet or exceed OEM specs.

As for myself, I sold my Touareg, having put nearly $4000 on it in 2 months, and looking at some mysterious driveline noises, radio buzziness, and other general issues; it was time to go. People, heed the warnings and check your Touareg out from top to bottom BEFORE BUYING. If you are not 100% financially secure, and do not have another vehicle, look elsewhere. This may be a VW, but it has the repair bills of a BMW. The Touareg is a fantastic vehicle, I would argue even better looking than a majority of what came out today and still has features and sophistications to rival today's vehicles. But be aware, this is by no means a first car type of vehicle.

With allllll of that, thank you so much to all the great members on here who have made this vehicle half as complicated as it is.
post #6 of 28 Old 06-11-2015
Touareg Guru

Good post.

You have done a gearbox reset though, haven't you?
post #7 of 28 Old 06-11-2015 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobytoogy View Post
Good post.

You have done a gearbox reset though, haven't you?
Do you mean using vag com, or the soft pedal reset? I did the soft pedal one, I don't beleive one was done via vag com.
post #8 of 28 Old 06-11-2015
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2004 V8
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Xtouareg View Post

For those wondering who this company in ontario is, they are called valve body rebuilders. I am not affiliated with the company at all, I just hope that helps some of my Canadian treggers. Valve Body Builders: Remanufactured transmission valve bodies that meet or exceed OEM specs.
4Xtouareg, how much did they charge you to rebuild the valve body?

'04 V8 - Air Suspention - Alpine - Dynaudio - Soundstream - Fully Loaded
post #9 of 28 Old 06-11-2015 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pardesi View Post
4Xtouareg, how much did they charge you to rebuild the valve body?
The price was a weird situation. On the phone the tech told me it was $699, but then when it came time to pay, he asked me if the other guy told me $699 or $750. I told him $699 and then with taxes and all it came out to $740, I also express shipped it both ways so it was another $250 for shipping, but I could have shipped it for as cheap as $30 for 5 day shipping. I just didn't have that time.

The valve body worked pretty much flawlessly after that though, so I do trust their service. It was also MUCH cheaper than getting it done in the U.S or buying from the dealer (well the dealer wanted like $1150 for a remanufactured) and had I not tried to do expedited, I would have saved a lot more had I gone with regular shipping.
post #10 of 28 Old 06-11-2015
Touareg Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Xtouareg View Post
Do you mean using vag com, or the soft pedal reset? I did the soft pedal one, I don't beleive one was done via vag com.
Ignition on but do NOT start car.
Press accelerator to floor and hold there for 10 seconds.
Release pedal and remove key.
Gearbox now reset.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode