Coil pack caught fire - Club Touareg Forums
 2Likes

post #1 of 19 Old 02-05-2018 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2004 V8
Second Vehicle: Other
Coil pack caught fire

Yup, just as the title states it.
Pictures tell the tale, for the most part.

I JUST finished doing an alternator swap. Fired up the motor to see if it was a successful swap. It was. It took about 30 seconds to smell the burning electrical components.

I was on the passenger side, front wheel, admiring my handy work. Then I got my first sent, of a problem. While I was dashing over to turn the engine off, I noticed a good size plum of white smoke coming from the driver side front wheel well. I cut the engine, pop the hood, and was in shock! Luckily, no actual flames.

I spent an hour trying to get the other half of the coil pack out of the cylinder... It's still stuck in there.

My options are limited, but that's my story of the day. Overall, I'm sure it was just a old pack. I have slowly been replacing all of the packs. Luckily, I already had the replacement on hand. But I still have to get the old one out, first.

~Junior

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 02-06-2018 Thread Starter

Well, my connector looks great! That was a relief. It was a second thought, but worth the concern. Glad it worked out in my favor.

The other half of the plug is really in there. I have a pair of pliers, that I get a good bite with. But that beast just won't budge... Anyone have any ideas I can try? I need more leverage, but I'm not sure how to get it. I grab the lip of the coil stem (???), but all I can do is pull straight out. I'm just so limited.

TIA guys,
~ Junior

post #3 of 19 Old 02-08-2018
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2007 V8
Second Vehicle: 2007 V8
Could you possibly drill a hole in the top and put in a screw to be able to use a nail puller/pry bar. Looks like a tough one Junior!
Maybe some glue to make screw solid, good luck.

07 V8 FSI, Campanella white, steel suspension(wife's)
07 V8 FSI, Campanella white, Air suspension, hitch, keyless start, center & rear diff locks 265/70R17 M+S (mine)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 02-08-2018
Touareg Mechanic

Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnride View Post
Could you possibly drill a hole in the top and put in a screw to be able to use a nail puller/pry bar. Looks like a tough one Junior!
Maybe some glue to make screw solid, good luck.
That sounds like it would work! Just be careful to not use too much, it kind off looks like the spark plug head in the middle. Might have to use JB weld and set a sacrificial socket in there to bond only to the outer ring of material left.
mtnride likes this.

2014 | AUDI Q7 | V6TDI | CARRARAWHITE | S-LINE | PRESTIGE | AIR SUS | WARM PK |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Cayenne TT Sways |
2009 | BMW 335D | V6TT | CRIMSONRED | DAKOTA BLACK INT | MSPORT | COLD PK | PREMIUM PK |

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 19 Old 02-08-2018 Thread Starter

Thanks for the ideas guys!!

While I will try them out. Here's another question for you. What about removing the valve cover? Would that give me greater access, or more to work with?

post #6 of 19 Old 02-08-2018
Touareg Mechanic

Seems to me you have to remove coils and plugs to remove valve cover but Iíll check my Bentley Repair manual later and see what I can find

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

07 V8 FSI, Campanella white, Air suspension, hitch, keyless start, center & rear diff locks 265/70R17 M+S (mine)
post #7 of 19 Old 02-08-2018
Touareg Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Built4Sin View Post
That sounds like it would work! Just be careful to not use too much, it kind off looks like the spark plug head in the middle. Might have to use JB weld and set a sacrificial socket in there to bond only to the outer ring of material left.

By looking at whatís left of the coil, I think there is some room. I would guess the top of the spark plug terminates a little above the black knobs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #8 of 19 Old 02-08-2018
Touareg Mechanic

Junior, another thought, as above drill hole but use lug nut cap removal tool, insert in hole and pull. Worst case the top of fried coil separates coil stem. You could probably grab coil stem with needlenose pliers at that point.
Let us know how it goes.

post #9 of 19 Old 02-08-2018
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2008 V8
Second Vehicle: 2007 V6
Garage
Likely there is melted plastic that is bonding to the surround. Can it be forcefully twisted counter clockwise (so as to not damage spark plug threads?) perhaps the socket idea mentioned above with fast drying epoxy and an extension in the socket...then a ratchet with a beaker bar.

Breaking the outer bond of the melted material is the key you need to accomplished. Pulling straight out at first is just going to give you a good workout.
post #10 of 19 Old 02-08-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiegelglatt View Post
Likely there is melted plastic that is bonding to the surround. Can it be forcefully twisted counter clockwise (so as to not damage spark plug threads?) perhaps the socket idea mentioned above with fast drying epoxy and an extension in the socket...then a ratchet with a beaker bar.
Iwas thinking the same, but was also thinking that if it doesn't work. Maybe the drill would be worth the effort. So I'll start with the drill, then try the socket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiegelglatt View Post
Breaking the outer bond of the melted material is the key you need to accomplished. Pulling straight out at first is just going to give you a good workout.
DUDE! You're telling me!!
I might not be that strong, but I found myself in a advantageous position with the extra leverage from my keg belly on the quarter panel. And it's still not enough?! I did some digging, and if all else fails. It'll be a new head. Those spark plug tubes, are NOT removable. So getting the valve cover off, then trying to pry the junk out COULD damage the tube. Which means a new head. The valve cover, is keeping the tube stabilized from being bent in a undesirable manor.
So if anyone sees this issue again, KEEP THE VALVE COVER ON. Or suffer the possibility of replacing the head.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode