Clattering noise in 2005 V6 - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 15 Old 09-26-2015 Thread Starter

Clattering noise in 2005 V6

Yesterday we were towing our Airstream up a hill, so the motor was straining some (though we've done it many times without problem). It started making a strange noise, and I was able to pull off pretty quickly. The noise is a loud clattering that gets faster at higher RPMs, but stops briefly when I get off the gas. Here is a link to how it sounds:

It seems to be coming from the top of the engine, maybe the valves? Kind of hard to pinpoint as it's pretty noisy in there. I can take it to the mechanic, but I'm pretty comfortable fixing it myself if it's not too bad.

Thanks for any feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 09-27-2015
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Timing chain? If so it is at the rear of the engine and is a b*gger to access without removing said engine.
post #3 of 15 Old 09-27-2015
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2008 V8
Second Vehicle: 2007 V6
Garage
That doesn't sound good at all. It sounds like contact between a piston and a valve... timing chain could be the culprit with this. Then again it is hard to tell from a sound clip what it sounds like in person. Might pull the plugs and rotate engine by hand (will be easier with plugs out) and listen with something (screw driver) against block and your ear for contact / metallic sounds.

When you take your foot out of it is interesting. Could cracked exhaust manifold make a sound like this? Not sure if that would explain the noise going away when you take your foot off the gas, but perhaps???

Hard to tell from a sound clip.

Afterthought: make sure your oil level is right on and that you are not low...this could not allow enough force for the chain tensioners to function right...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 09-27-2015
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2004 V8
I don't think it's valve damage the engine runs to smoothly. Sounds like a starved or broken hydraulic valve lifter. The noise could also be a bad intake manifold, check the runner linkage near the bulkhead to see if it popped of or is not fully engaged. Any dtc's or warning lamps?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
post #5 of 15 Old 09-27-2015 Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. The engine does seem to run OK besides the noise. The CEL is on, but it's been on for some time due to an unrelated small thing that our last shop deemed not worth fixing. Obviously that means I have no idea if a new issue has arisen.

It sounds like I need to take it to a good VW guy to get some hands-on advice before digging in too much. I'm definitely not going to be changing the timing chain myself. We've been planning on trading the vehicle in soon anyway. If it is the timing chain, it seems like there will not be much value left in the truck. That would be a bummer. I'll post back when I get some details.
post #6 of 15 Old 09-28-2015 Thread Starter

So just to provide an update to this. I took it to a well-respected local shop and they said that it was almost certainly the timing chain. To give a full diagnosis they would need to pull the engine and they aren't equipped to do it. On the short drive over there the engine started running super rough, idle dropping to 400 rpm, to the point where I thought it might die right there.

I called the dealer to ask for the rough cost of replacing the timing chain, and they said about $8k. So I plan to take it to Carmax (on a trailer) and see what they'll give me. Hopefully it's not too bad. They did give me about $2k more than I was expecting a couple years ago on our Beetle convertible, but I suspect this will be a surprise in the other direction. Such is life, the Touareg gave us great service for 11 years!
post #7 of 15 Old 09-28-2015
Touareg Enthusiast

What are your fault codes after bringing it to the independent shop?

post #8 of 15 Old 09-28-2015
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2008 V8
Second Vehicle: 2007 V6
Garage
Curious about two things 1) mileage on motor and 2) are you going to get a second opinion? Sounds like it is the chain, but seems like second opinion might be warranted given the financial impact from either fixing a unloading (both are expensive).
Also a member with a newer V6 3.6 had timing chain done at independent shop and paid $4,500 or so in and out. For what it is worth.
post #9 of 15 Old 09-29-2015
Touareg Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiegelglatt View Post
Curious about two things 1) mileage on motor and 2) are you going to get a second opinion? Sounds like it is the chain, but seems like second opinion might be warranted given the financial impact from either fixing a unloading (both are expensive).
Also a member with a newer V6 3.6 had timing chain done at independent shop and paid $4,500 or so in and out. For what it is worth.
I recommend a second opinion as well, $8k USD is too much to pay for that job and you can find it much cheaper elsewhere.

post #10 of 15 Old 09-30-2015 Thread Starter

The motor has 92k miles on it. $8k is definitely too much for the work, that was just the dealer's quote. The trouble is we're ready to trade this vehicle in and KBB for its condition is only around $4k. My wife dinged it up some as well, so even in perfect mechanical condition it still needs some cleanup. I figure if I have to put $4500 in to fix it, and another $800 to fix the body, I'll be lucky to net $2k when I sell it. Carmax may give me $2-3k as is, I won't know until I take it there. If they really lowball me then I think I'll have to explore fixing it.

I asked the shop about diagnosis codes and they said that they didn't see any codes related misfires or anything related to the timing chain, and that they were "just looking for the cause of the noise". Given that the CEL was flashing on the way over I find that kind of hard to believe. Honestly I'm not too happy that they (Avalon Motorsports in Denver) charged me $160 to diagnose it and then said "We used a stethoscope to listen and we're pretty sure it's coming from the timing chain". That sounds like they could have done that while I was there in 5 minutes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode